GWTW Forum
October 30, 2014, 06:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kite line for kids  (Read 1632 times)
glk47
Trade Count: (+4)

« on: January 28, 2013, 07:59 AM »

I have a question for the assembled wisdom and experience. Is there a kind of kite line that is fairly light, but somewhat thicker and easier on the hands for use by little hands. It doesn't need to be very strong - the kites will be small SLKs, light pull. They have to be able to grip it easily, and not get burned or cut. Any suggestions?

Thanks - Larry
TBHinPhilly
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 08:12 AM »

Assuming GWTW/Chico Kites doesn't have anything similar (I did not see it) the AKA sells cotton line on winders for 34 cents apiece (bulk order of 50 required) as a way to help everyone get kites out to kids.  Cotton line is plenty strong for small kites.  It can still cut - but much less so than synthetics. 
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 09:02 AM »

If you don't need 50 and you don't find what you need on GWTW/Chico Kites, the Drachen Foundation (www.drachen.org) also sells kite kite line with Plastic Winder, 20 lb. line, 100 feet per roll in packs of 10.  You will find it in there Kite Kits/Materials section.

ATB,
Sam

glk47
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 03:13 PM »

Cotton would be fine - I was thinking about something that would be easy to grip. I certainly have lots of cotton line, if that that's the best bet.

Anyway, thanks for the responses.

I'll consider it further. I'm still a few months from needing to know. There's a third birthday coming up in July.

Larry
KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 03:26 PM »

fairly light, but somewhat thicker and easier on the hands for use by little hands.

Hey Larry

Commercially available kite line for kids kites is either light, and hence thin (burns, cuts, ouch!) OR it is thick ( too heavy for light pulling kites).  It is very difficult to get both good qualities without any of the down sides.

Cotton thread seems to be a reasonable compromise.  It is thin and light, but quite a bit softer, gentler on little hands than commercial threads.

If you don't want to wind lots of line sets individually, you can always do what Tony Rice taught me years ago.

Cut a bunch of rectangular cardboard pieces (to be used as winders).  Buy a large cone of cotton thread ( the sort used on overlockers, etc).  For each child, give them a cardboard winder, hand them the end of the thread and tell them to run for 10 seconds.  At the 10 second point, cut the thread.  The child then winds up however much line he/she has managed to get in that time.  Fun and simple.

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 07:00 PM »

If your dealing with 2-4 year olds yarn is a good option.  I've had good luck with the thin (3/32) knitting yarn.  Easier to grip light and too thick to cut but will still rope burn.  Best option is 20-30 feet of 50# dacron/cotton on a handle winder and adults or older kids to help Smiley  Look at the Drachen foundations kite kits though for good stuff designed with kids in mind and talk to Steve to see what he has.  IF all else fails go grab some spools of cheap Gayla line.  USed that for years without incident.
SparkieRob
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 08:39 PM »

When I was a kid, we used to join the kite direct to the line on a fishing rod.

Tapatalk for iPhone.

Inbetween Heaven and Earth, there are kites.
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 11:32 PM »

If you don't mind winding your own or having the kids do their own we've used crochet thread, it's much like the old cotton line we got as kids before synthetics took over. Available in a few different sizes too.

For winding a lot I've taken a 5/16" wood dowel and carefully cut a slot down one end, chuck the dowel in a drill with the slot out, tie the line onto the cardboard winder then slide it into that slot and pull the trigger.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change