GWTW Forum
November 28, 2015, 01:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: email the Forum Admin:
   Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to:

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Comete question  (Read 994 times)
Trade Count: (0)
« on: July 30, 2015, 06:23 AM »

I've been working on this trick lately and can get a single rotation ending with the wings level, nose pointed up.  So now I'm practicing additional rotations, goal being to preserve the ending orientation.  I've seen flyers use the comete in combinations, such as going right into a slot.  When they do this, it appears the comete rotation ends with the nose pointing to either edge.  Any advice for accomplishing this ending position?
I'm not very good at describing these things, so thanks in advance for your patience and help.
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 09:45 AM »

It's always been in the back of my mind that if you can't comete you can't be considered a top trick flying pilot. It's a good argument so like you I started practicing it this year. After around two morning sessions I did manage a few complete singular rotations. What happen to me is the so-called "tough" third input from nose down to turtle (nose away belly-up) where in a clockwise rotation I would get that left tip wing wrap or it would be buried in the turtle whereas my fourth input being too early and too late coming respectively.

If you look at the TPUSA definition the correct comete is ending with the kite at K-3 and not K-12 as you describe in your post. If you look at the Greenway comete tutorial you see the kite pointing at K-12. Do slo-mo on some videos like the Randolf comete video and the ending kite position varies all over the place from K-12-3. So by TPUSA definitions this is INCORRECT.

At this point in time with no TPUSA competitions - does it matter? As one Ct. flyer told me once - just do it 500 times - still have not got it - 1000 times. It's true as with each trick its simply breaking through based on pilot/conditions/experience.

Whether the kite is at K 12-3 ( your description being 12'oclock = K-12) it probably does not matter as to flare the kite out to (position #2) its probably just as easy from either of these (4) positions (K-12-3).

For me now the key is not to wing wrap the kite and not get stuck in the turtle with a properly timed fourth input. Right now I am pausing a second or two prior to the second clockwise rotation.

After this annoying trick I can get back to doing Wardley ACID DROPS.  Cheesy

« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 10:09 AM by asburyparkjohn » Logged

In my kite inventory of Dual Line Kites: Sixth Sense (UL); Benson - Inner Space; L'Atelier xt.z.; Fearless-Tatto (SSUL), Sea Devil - UL Custom (modernized SUL version to Fearless), Fearless - SUL, Light, Light-Vent; Transformer-2 SUL, Light, Vent, GPS -SUL, Light and UNIQUE Light/4 Panel Vent-design
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 10:08 AM »

Very good, John. Thank you!  I don't know why I never thought of it this way and am very glad I inquired.  All I need to do is give the first input for the second rotation as the first input for the slot. 

Thanks again,

Trade Count: (+27)

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 11:46 AM »

Just keep practicing doing them - it will all fall into place.  After the comete becomes automatic, you tend to see when the kite is ready for whatever you have planned next.   

You can greatly control the speed of rotation and the depth of the turtle by increasing or decreasing your input speed and strength.

With the right kite, the comet on an SUL is just pure heaven - slow rotations and it's easier to blend it with combos due to the lower speed and wind.

I've found that my flying improved when I started to just relax, have fun and freestyle randomly (seemingly) by mixing in whatever tricks felt right or that the kite was setup for.    The advantage is that you learn tricks in a variety of situations related to other tricks.   So, if I can't get a Taz for example, I don't work on just the Taz for hours, I do stuff that I can do and then throw a tax in once in a while slightly varying things until I nail it.  Makes it all the more fun and, at least for me, has been very effective.

Good luck.

6 kite tom
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 01:54 PM »

Thanks Tom, good stuff.  Living inland I can't really pound away at one thing for a long time.I usually have two or three things in mind and work on whatever the wind is right for at the moment.  By the end of the session I find i can make some progress on all of them. I do find, however, I need to groove in pathways. I just became comfortable with inserting the slot into a cascade.  So now, when it feels right, I can do it smoothly. I remember when learning all the typical additions to the JL, like throwing in a wrap, etc., it was kind of clunky until I got the feel for the timing.  So I do find I have to practice combining the elements deliberately until it is second nature. At that point I enjoy just going for whatever.  I guess its kind of like expanding your vocabulary. 

Thanks again for the tips.  Very good info.

Take care,

Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 04:01 PM »

sure it could be my sloppy form and lack of skill but inland winds screwed up the consistency of rotation for me given the adjustments for the wind while the comete was underway, so if i wanted trick out of it i would just keep going until the kite was in the right orientation for the exit i wanted.

so instead of the rotation being 3 6 9 12, 3 6 9 12, 3 6 9 12, it might be 3 5 7 11, 2 4 8 12, 4 7 11 1. (clock face directions of nose position)

i had chalked this up to bumpy winds but the pros may differ.

Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 08:02 PM »

Comete is just a series of a half axel and a crooked snap lazy (aborting the turtle with the 4th hand input to bring the nose back pointing upward for the next half axel) being performed back to back.  Lam has a video demonstrating it.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 08:09 PM by rudyy » Logged
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2015, 07:56 PM »

Does anybody knows if a UL version of the 6th Sense would performs the Comete easily ?
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2015, 07:15 AM »

I helps to do the first input of the second full rotation a bit harder then the initial first input. That way the nose won't end up at 12 but rather between 10 and 11 o'clock.

So 1, 2, 3, 4, 1, 2, 3, 4, 1, 2, 3, 4

The size of the number indicates the intensity of the input. 2 and 4 are stops rather then pulls to prevent the kite from going into pancake/flare or backflip positions.

Also, when doing combo's like alternating cometes left/right (cascade) it's easier to fly horizontally when doint the initial input. This way you come out of each full rotation with the nose pointing more or less sideways and then it's easier to execute the contra rotation.

You might want to try and hit a comete rotation when doing half axel cascades.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Fly Market

A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at for a quote.

Cal Custom