GWTW Forum
August 29, 2014, 09:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Voice recognition  (Read 1086 times)
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« on: January 29, 2013, 01:30 PM »

I have started using voice to text in windows seven. Seems to work OK but wondering if anyone has experience with other speech recognition programs? Like maybe Dragon naturally speaking?

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 02:58 PM »

It's been years since I used Dragon so any opinion would not be relevant today.

Using Android/Google speech recognition today I find it to be well over 90% accurate with most attempts at 100%. Just speak slowly and deliberately, one word at a time, leave a pause between each word.  Your mind quickly gets wrapped around doing that unlike typing where I have to constantly read back to see where my fingers were then try to remember what I was going to say way back there.

A good microphone probably makes a huge difference too, those old plastic stand ones that came with PC's 15 years ago cost about .25 cents and were worth less.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 03:01 PM »

I know of a few people that used dragon and were very happy with it.

Sine Metu!
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 04:12 PM »

Many of my wife's clients use Dragon with much success.  If you need to do speech to text all the time, its about the best thing going.  It also allows you to control the computer through speech which is kind of unique.  Also, you can pull in audio files, etc so you can just record your voice while driving, etc and convert to text later which is nice.  I think this can work well depending on what your needs are because you don't have to manage of get caught up in the conversion while you talk, you just talk and sort it out later. 

But, many devices now do it pretty well for free (Mac, Windows, iOS, Android).   The main difference is that Dragon can get pretty close to 100% and has more features while the others seem to require more fiddling with the output before its what you want.

For on-the-go use, it would be hard to beat iOS or Android, since you can pull up the dictator directly from any text input and it just types for you as you talk which makes email, posts, text message, etc very easy.   There are also Dragon versions for iOS and perhaps Android, but I haven't tried them.   Android may be a little better here since it does not require a data connection to dictate which iOS does, at least with the built-in functionality.

Good luck and glad to have you back!
-Tom

6 kite tom
Steve
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 04:32 PM »

No issue with a microphone as the one I have for Skype works very well ...  And on the go is not an issue as I have no smart phone.
I am using windows seven speech recognition right now and while it works OK, my understanding is that dragon will better integrate with a variety of programs.
My advantage would be that keyboarding with one hand is tedious.  An additional benefit, as Chris pointed out, would be that it would help me with my speech issues. 

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
rob103
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 07:32 PM »

I've used several different versions of Dragon throughout the years. IMHO it represents the absolute best product of it's kind. you won't be disappointed. I would look for an older copy (like last years version) heavily discounted. The software really hasn't changed much over the years and the latest and greatest is pretty pricey!
Desertflier
Trade Count: (+26)

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 10:15 PM »

I have a Dragon Naturally Speaking version 2 or 3 years old and have been very happy with it.
I'm sure the newer versions are even better.  Smiley

All gave some, some gave all- U.S. Army Vet
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 10:57 PM »

Typing. Another skill going away just like taking square roots

with naught but pencil, paper and brain.  Sad

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Steve
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 08:39 AM »

Were I still able to type trust me, I would.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 09:41 AM by Steve » Logged

Steve ... Ancient One
Bgywrinkle
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 06:54 AM »

just my 2 cents, I've been using dragon Naturally speaking for a few years (now version 11) and love it.  about 90-95% accurate.  My keyboarding skills are poor so for writing papers etc it gives me a good first draft. As you use it and correct it, the accuracy gets better.  I've used it to transcribe some tapes I made of my dad's stories when he was alive.  The less expensive will work well with just one voice and accent, but the more expensive can be used with more voices and accents.

Get better Steve and use all the tools you can to limit the frustration.

Don Tuff

May you be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document