GWTW Forum
November 22, 2014, 01:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cleaning Agent  (Read 2009 times)
rudyy
Trade Count: (+15)

« on: January 29, 2013, 04:40 PM »

What kind of cleaning agent do you use that can easilyclean the leading edges?

Rudy
Hal
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 06:47 AM »

What are you trying to remove? Goo-Gone works good for anything sticky.  Water for bugs and dirt.

Hal
Helena, MT
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 09:32 AM »

what is the skin made of?

might want to see these threads:
http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=7686.0
http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=7301.0
http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=668.0
http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=575.0

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Hadge
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 12:33 PM »

If you are just removing the normal mud, grass, bird poo then I use cheap baby wipes! water based mild detergent cleans most muck off without staining and throw the used wipes in the bin!.......and it keeps your leading edges lovely and soft ! ....( I'm kidding about the last bit!)   Grin Grin

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 10:09 PM »

If you are just removing the normal mud, grass, bird poo then I use cheap baby wipes! water based mild detergent cleans most muck off without staining and throw the used wipes in the bin!.......and it keeps your leading edges lovely and soft ! ....( I'm kidding about the last bit!)   Grin Grin
Do they keep your trailing edge smooth Tongue
harveystubbs
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 01:11 PM »

Nikwax tech wash works better than anything else I have used. Take it from a guy who lives in a country where is rains a lot ! Cool
jaydub

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 03:47 PM »

Nikwax tech wash works better than anything else I have used. Take it from a guy who lives in a country where is rains a lot ! Cool
I'll second that.  Not sure about it's availability in the States though.  Undecided
indigo_wolf

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 08:39 PM »

I'll second that.  Not sure about it's availability in the States though.  Undecided

Nikwax TechWash is available in the US at your local REI/EMS/camping supplies  store.

Goo Gone is good for stuff like mummified rubber bands if they have been used to keep the kite in bondage  Huh, but I immediately followed that up with a warm water rinse to minimize the chance of discoloration or citrus oil residue.

ATB,
Sam
honchoboy

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 06:56 AM »

I've never thought of using Nikwax Techwash. I've got some left from washing my outdoor clothing, and it worked wonders on them. Looks like I am going to be running a bath tonight for the Talons - they are so filthy at the moment that I'm embarrassed Cry

rudyy

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2013, 06:59 AM »

I just bought the Nikwax TechWash from ebay.  I will give it a shot and see how it goes.
Michel
Trade Count: (+12)

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2013, 10:57 AM »

Hi all,

For mud, I have very good results with "Fée du logis" from Johnson. But I don't know the product name in English. Very good and cheap for cleaning Spectra lines too !

For traces of vase (very difficult to remove), I use a stain remover for ink and marker named "Rubigine" . It works very good and I have tried many many products.

honchoboy

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2013, 04:40 AM »

The Nikwax Techwash has been put to the test this week on 3 very dirty Talons. The results speak for themselves - they are now spotless. I sprayed the excess dirt off then gave them a pre-wash in luke warm water. Then a good clean in the bath with the Techwash and a sponge used for washing dishes. Sprayed off with more water and then left to dry. Bloody superb and 100% recommend to use.

jaydub

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2013, 06:37 AM »

Can be used fairly dilute as well.  A little goes a long way.
rudyy

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2013, 05:31 AM »

I tried the NikWax TechWash yesterday to clean the LEs and it worked like a charm.   A couple of swipes and the black comes back again like new.   A++.
harveystubbs

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2013, 02:49 PM »

Told ya ! I think Roy gave me that tip on tech wash. A little dab on a wet sponge goes a long way too. I used that stuff in my washing machine once on some clothes and I had bubbles everywhere  Cool
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum