GWTW Forum
July 24, 2014, 06:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another Sixth Sense in the world  (Read 1995 times)
KennyB
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2013, 05:31 PM »

I cant seem to navigate to the plans in english. Cry
sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2013, 05:49 PM »

the only italian portion of that .rar folder is the .txt file and the word Rinforzo  on several of the panels... those panels are Re-enforcment panels, typically made out of mylar. The measurements are in millimeters.  Have you made a sportkite before?  If not, I would consider starting with another kite that has more extensive documentation... such as Christian Derefat's Le Quartz.  If you've not stumbled across it, there is a great website here
----> http://www.tweelijners.com/tom/tomskitesite-en/Home.html

That walks you through a simplified plan of Le Quartz.

A read through this .pdf might also be beneficial, as it discusses techniques for printing plans, cutting templates, and a number of hints at building kites not covered on Tom's website. 

http://www.tweelijners.com/werner/download/Sugarbakers_%20Bzar_2011.pdf

If you already have built kites in the past, I don't know what else to tell you. 
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2013, 06:08 PM »

Thanks for the construction detail pictures.  I will someday attempt to make one of these and it helps in understanding how to go about it. 

6 kite tom
KennyB

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2013, 06:44 PM »

What program opens a .rar file??? my laptop wont open it. Ive never built a kite but ive sewn miles of thread. I think i need to learn how to work this computer.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 06:47 PM by KennyB » Logged
sugarbaker

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2013, 07:40 PM »

Kenny, Check your email for uncompressed files sent from me.
tpatter

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2013, 08:07 PM »

Can you have these large templates printed at Kinkos?

I'm thinking, first run, just skip the panels and make 2 half sails and sew them together using the cheapest icarex that I can find  - is this a good idea?

Unlike Kenny, the sewing part has me concerned....

Thanks,

Tom

6 kite tom
sugarbaker

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2013, 08:18 PM »

Yes, kinkos will print them.  When you take the PDF in, make sure they understand you have to print at 100%. I've only ever had them print on 36 inch wide paper.  So, for the sixth sense, it will cut off either the nose or the tail.  With the panels, this isn't a problem because you can line up the seems and the panels will be in the right spot.  In terms of making two halves and sewing them together, you'll probably need to print on 48 inch, and I'm not sure if kinkos will do this.  What you could do, alternatively is print the A0 size on 36 inch and then cut and tape the tail portion in place to make the template. 

For the sixth sense, you'll need a big table to cut out your fabric.  Best of luck.  I'm happy to come by and help out if you get stuck in the middle of your project. 
KennyB

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2013, 08:38 PM »

Great i may try kinkos, good idea. I started my sewing career in 2006 when i was rebuilding a old school minibike with my kids, I needed a seat so I made one. since then ive made way too many seats to count. most of my sewing has been on vinyl thats why i wanted to try kite building.
sugarbaker

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2013, 02:18 PM »

Some outside pics.  Next to no wind, so not the best day to fly this Std version, but got her in the air anyway.

KennyB

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2013, 03:09 PM »

That looks real nice Sugar...I love that orange, those stand offs look pretty long. that kite has a deep V.
photogbill
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2013, 08:59 PM »

Nice job on the SS 'sugarbaker'! I haven't been on the forum in a few weeks or I would have posted sooner!
Now it's time to make an Invictus for yourself! Wink
sugarbaker

« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2013, 09:10 PM »

LOL, I do have an invictus... Std and UL (Ghost) versions.  Ironically though, I have not flown them.  Soon enough I will be at the coast for a few days with a giant stack of kites that have yet to be flown by me...
tpatter

« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2013, 03:34 PM »

I flew this very Sixth Sense this weekend - even in higher winds, I was very impressed.  Thanks Stephen.

So much so that I'm more motivated than ever to build my own kite!  Smiley

6 kite tom
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document