I'm working on a new web-app for casual kite flyers
(1/4) > >>
jwwilson:
Hi all!

I created a web-app for amateur kite flyers (enthusiasts?). As a very casual once-in-a-while kite flyer (awesome wal-mart trick kite), if the urge to fly comes up, I have no way of knowing quickly or easily if the weather outside was adequate for flying.

So I've been working on caniflymykite.com for the last couple months, and it has reached a point where I feel somewhat comfortable showing it off and getting feedback from all you nice people.

It is still in an early state of development, but any feedback you can give me (positive OR negative) is still greatly appreciated! Is there value in something like this? Should I keep going?

For those interested in future developments, feel free to sign up to receive info about updates to the site: caniflymykite/newsletter

tl;dr - I created a web-app for lazy and/or casual kite flyers: caniflymykite.com
sluggo:
Cool!

For me, the perfect answer to that question would also depend on specifically where I want to fly - in the park up the hill from my house, but only if the wind is >= 5MPH and coming from between SSE and E (but maybe from any direction if the wind speed is >= 10 MPH). In the field across town but only if the wind is >= 8 mph, in any direction. At the beach, if the wind is >= 3MPH, coming from any east-ish direction.

No expectation that anyone would want to automate something like that, but since you asked for feedback...
Tmadz:
I use WindAlert. It's really built for sailing, but it takes readings from all of the reporting weather stations from the national weather service: airports, ports, coastlines, etc. It also has a reasonable accurate forecast feature. Answers all of my flying needs.
Allen Carter:
Interesting idea.

The two locations I tried it on came up with:
NO There is no wind

Or

NO Nothing is blowing

But with wind readings if 2.3 mph and 4.6 mph

I use a wunderground web app for this kind of thing but its nice to see a kite specific app. Keep up the good work.
jwwilson:
Thanks guys for the great feedback! ;D

@sluggo - I wish I had the perfect answer! I suppose cifmk provides more of a "best guess". The idea in my mind is that if the weather station nearest a person says the wind is 10mph, then that person has a very good chance of being able to fly at a park or something near to them, especially using the potentially common-knowledge of staying away from big trees and flying near water (that's the end of my common-knowledge). Thoughts?

@Tmads - My father-in-law showed me WindAlert the other day, and it is a great app for detailed wind-speed forecasts and what have you, but it doesn't seem geared towards the casual flyer or kite people in general. I'm currently using the NOAA "forecast" service, so the weather info on cifmk is not "live", so to speak but is their next forecast. I plan on implementing real time station data soon, along with forecasts from the NOAA (probably the same ones that WindAlert uses).

@Allen - As an amateur, I wasn't sure what range of wind is acceptable for flying (I took a range from a single-string kite description on amazon), and the sub-messages are pretty new and need to be tweaked ("Not much wind"). The logic for displaying "yes" is that the wind is faster than 5mph & the prob of rain is less than 20%. My goal was to pick a general wind speed range for the average person to know when to fly. For example, if they see 6.5mph on wunderground, they may be unsure if they can fly. I'm very open to other ideas for getting to yes or no.

To everyone: is this something you could see recommending to people who are curious about flying or just starting? How about your parents or kids?
Navigation
Message Index
Next page