GWTW Forum
November 26, 2014, 04:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Appreciation for the craft...  (Read 679 times)
whitebirdlover
Trade Count: (+20)

« on: February 04, 2013, 07:55 PM »

I picked up a pile of kites because I wanted "that one" and had to buy everything else that came with it.
Included was an 11ft. rainbow sailed delta, a 5ft. conyne, smaller delta, ribbon tails, drogue, tube tail, bat kite etc.
This is the first lot of "commercially" made slk's that I've had my hands on. I'd acquired a few Sun Oak slk's, an original Goodwind delta and it became clear this evening the value and quality of the hand crafted kites I've enjoyed flying. While I expect the mass produced products will fly well enough and be enjoyed while they're in the sky, I'm even more appreciative of the finely crafted sails I've had the pleasure to fly and look forward to experiencing more of the unique and creative pieces of flying art work that our native craftsman and women have produced...

"That one"', which I didn't know for sure about the design as it was new in the package, turned out to be a black bordered, sun, rainbow, moon and stars motif Rainbow Riders diamond.  Smiley

A nod of thanks to all those who now make, and have in the past have made, the hand crafted flying contraptions we have come to enjoy...  Smiley Smiley Smiley
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 12:11 PM by whitebirdlover » Logged

Anthony
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 04:00 AM »

Yep, in sport kites and single line items you can always see the care that the kite makers put into their work........they command a greater price than the mass produced brethren and generally last longer too - albeit due to better care and/or better materials....
Enjoy them......enjoy the mass market stuff as well even if that means enjoying it by giving it to someone who will be happy with it and fly it.

There are many designs out there that are only available from the manufacturers.....if you lust after it then you need to decide if it appeals to you in that manner....
All comes down to fly what you like to see in your hands.

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
whitebirdlover
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 07:14 PM »

Undoubtedly, commercial production allows a great number of flyers to afford to "color the skies" and smile wide while doing it!!! I got the 11ft. delta up this evening with streamers and a tube tail. Nice flyer and looked great in the late afternoon sun. It's likely headed to someone along the Michigan shoreline for a birthday present. I'll get a pic up soon...

Anthony
trigger
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 12:49 PM »

I'll keep my eyes open for it in the sky!!!  my side or your side of the lake?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum