GWTW Forum
September 30, 2014, 11:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 ... 7 [8] 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spectra Sports Nuclear Reactor Restoration Help!  (Read 12141 times)
whitebirdlover
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #105 on: March 17, 2013, 07:17 AM »

Say, that looks great! Nice effort on learning Illustrator.
As a painter by trade, I question the need to prime the fabric. I would wipe the area with denatured alcohol before applying product. And allow 24hrs before testing adhesion and film strength. "Dry" paint is not fully cured.
Looks like your almost there! I've been curious, did the old logo completely vanish from the sail?

Anthony
Lou
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #106 on: March 17, 2013, 07:29 AM »

Say, that looks great! Nice effort on learning Illustrator.
As a painter by trade, I question the need to prime the fabric. I would wipe the area with denatured alcohol before applying product. And allow 24hrs before testing adhesion and film strength. "Dry" paint is not fully cured.

I actually just watched a tutorial from Krylon on painting cotton shirts with their product.  Looks like primer isn't used also so I will not use it and especially if you also advise to avoid a primer.  Hopefully this will get painted today before I get on base tomorrow for the week.  This will definitely give the paint time to properly cure and not let my dirty fingers get a hold of it too early!  Cheesy

Looks like your almost there! I've been curious, did the old logo completely vanish from the sail?

The kite was left in my garage on an upper shelf for almost 7 years before I opened it up.  The heat in the garage can reach insane temps, especially in the middle of a Florida summer.  The decal partially flaked off upon touching it. The majority washed off when I cleaned the sail with mild detergent.  I eventually just brush scrubbed the remaining specs of paint off and cleared the sail of the logo. 

I will now follow the directive to keep kites properly stored in cool locations and out of direct sunlight for extended periods of time!  Embarrassed
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 08:14 AM by Spectra Sport 96 » Logged
Lou

« Reply #107 on: March 19, 2013, 04:39 PM »

Here are the poor results from using the cad-cut vinyl stencils.  The Neopaque was so horrible to apply without being water reduced down 20% and sprayed or spread like a screen print process that I decided to NOT show any of those results.   Sad

Here are the less worse Krylon can sprayed results which bled badly into the fabric.  I think this was due in part to the added chemicals that help propel the paint material had also penetrated the fabric and the adhesives in the vinyl stencil.  Spray can paint also appears to be too light in texture compared to screen print plastisol paints.  These results were from many, many light coats with 5 minute wait times in between. 

I'm so glad I didn't kill the kite by painting directly first attempt...

« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 07:46 PM by Spectra Sport 96 » Logged
whitebirdlover

« Reply #108 on: March 19, 2013, 07:27 PM »

Screening does have it's advantages...

I would think vinyl stencils would have a hard time conforming to any texture in fabric. Nice try...

You may have to fly the kite naked  Wink

Anthony
Lou

« Reply #109 on: March 19, 2013, 07:41 PM »

Screening does have it's advantages...

I would think vinyl stencils would have a hard time conforming to any texture in fabric. Nice try...

You may have to fly the kite naked  Wink

Naked flight appears to be the case, but I have one more option to investigate.  I didn't know this stuff existed and most vinyl shops advised their product was only good for cottons and refused to heat press ripstop.  I have the vinyl company ordering ripstop nylon specific Cad-Cut Gorilla Grip heat transfer vinyl to cut the logo onto that material and heat press it on.  I think the sail should handle 350F?  I thought ripstop could handle a bit over 400F

« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 07:48 PM by Spectra Sport 96 » Logged
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #110 on: March 20, 2013, 04:08 AM »

I would not risk heat transfer on a vintage sail.
Fly and enjoy the kite as it is, don't take the risk of ruining it by putting a cherry on top.
To me, the risk far outweighs the benefit.

I remember a friend who got obsessed with a safety sticker that was on the wing of his new kite. He thought the sticker upset the kite's balance and was determined to "fix" it.

He peeled the sticker off, but there was a glue residue left.
He tried various solvents to get the residue off, but ended up staining the sail.
He was never happy with the kite again.

I say this with respect, but you will only get one chance to do it right.
Is it worth the risk to you?
I will admit to chuckling when seeing someone flying a new Flexifoil that still has its paper safety tag in place...and then the look of horror of the new owner when the tag rips off in flight

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Lou

« Reply #111 on: March 20, 2013, 11:50 AM »

I would not risk heat transfer on a vintage sail.
Fly and enjoy the kite as it is, don't take the risk of ruining it by putting a cherry on top.
To me, the risk far outweighs the benefit.

I remember a friend who got obsessed with a safety sticker that was on the wing of his new kite. He thought the sticker upset the kite's balance and was determined to "fix" it.

He peeled the sticker off, but there was a glue residue left.
He tried various solvents to get the residue off, but ended up staining the sail.
He was never happy with the kite again.

I say this with respect, but you will only get one chance to do it right.
Is it worth the risk to you?

I agree 100%... no offense taken.  Smiley

I feel the same way, that is why I've used swatches of ripstop nylon to test and I've continued to post my story of this restoration on GWTWforum.com to get as many honest opinions of veteran fliers like yourself.  This will likely be my last attempt and if it doesn't look good enough or possibly even causes surface markings on the test material, at that point the kite would stay naked the remainder of its existance.  It still retains the safety tag that contains the company name on the lower left section of the sail and the upper spreader itself has the Spectra logo.  It will have to suffice.

To compensate I just purchased a nice certified pre-owned Reactor for another restoration project.  This time I will be more careful with the washing of the sail! Wink
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 07:18 PM by Spectra Sport 96 » Logged
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #112 on: March 21, 2013, 12:41 AM »

Ugh don't heat transfer onto that sail.  If you want to use paint you need to do it in very light coats to prevent the bleeding and use some removable silicone fabric glue to hold the stencil down and help seal gaps between the stencil and fabric texture.
whitebirdlover

« Reply #113 on: March 21, 2013, 03:42 PM »

Is there a used "Spectra Sport Kite" lot in your neighborhood?   Wink

Anthony
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #114 on: March 21, 2013, 06:03 PM »

Is there a used "Spectra Sport Kite" lot in your neighborhood?   Wink
i know where there is one Wink
Spectra Sports should be getting a new kite for his bag tomorrow!

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Lou

« Reply #115 on: March 21, 2013, 06:29 PM »

Is there a used "Spectra Sport Kite" lot in your neighborhood?   Wink

Actually the used kite lot is around my "old" neighborhood! Smiley

i know where there is one Wink
Spectra Sports should be getting a new kite for his bag tomorrow!

Yes! Quite excited about reliving more of my past with this next kite.  I already have all the connectors ordered and in route.  I'm also going to try and grab one of each model to make one set of kites if thief is able to hold on to the ones he has long enough for me to buy them and hopefully grab 1 or 2 kites each month.

I also decided to at least have a couple T-Shirts made in memory of the dead brand name... I found some old logos and used those color schemes.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 09:07 PM by Spectra Sport 96 » Logged
Lou

« Reply #116 on: March 23, 2013, 12:02 PM »

Yesterday I received my next Nuke restoration project in the mail! 

I knew exactly what I needed to order as far as repair parts so that was placed as soon as the purchase had been completed.  Parts are coming in this afternoon via USPS and I should have it in the air later this afternoon.

I took the time to hand wash the sail and remove all the stains from the deteriorated connectors.  Some of that glue like material sadly damaged small areas of the logo.  :'( 

I machine washed the bridle to a crisp white and used 3M Adhesive Remover, with a mild soap wash afterwards, to clean every tube to new like condition.

***3:40 PM EST ***

USPS delivers parts ordered.

I  assembled the airframe with the new connectors.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 07:34 AM by Spectra Sport 96 » Logged
Lou

« Reply #117 on: March 24, 2013, 10:24 AM »

Took the Team UpRoar Nuclear out for some flight time.  Winds were excellent this morning but sadly not even 2 minutes into its flight the lower spreader snapped and I had to land it quickly.

If anyone can please spare a 7P Sky Shark tube I would be most appreciative.  Please PM me with pricing and shipping or post in thread.  Thanks!
whitebirdlover

« Reply #118 on: March 24, 2013, 04:24 PM »

Dang!!!  Embarrassed  And no signs of wear when you cleaned 'um? Guess you've gotta take it easy when you restart those "Reactors"...

By the way, are you serious about working up a t-shirt?

Anthony
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #119 on: March 24, 2013, 05:18 PM »

I might have some extra 7p but I'll have to look.  YOU can ferrule that spreader back together though.
Pages: 1 ... 7 [8] 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document