GWTW Forum
April 17, 2014, 07:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spectra Sports Nuclear Reactor Restoration Help!  (Read 8923 times)
Lou
Trade Count: (+2)

« on: February 07, 2013, 10:37 AM »

Hello GWTW members,

I just joined the site and glad to be here.  Been a long time since I last piloted kites but hopefully after this restoration project I can get the bug back and start collecting new kites.

Here is the Nuke I purchased originally in 96' from Kites of Boston, a local shop in Faneuil Hall in Boston, MA.

Front

Back

Manufacture Date Feb 06 1996

I ordered all new connectors and did my best measuring the O.D./I.D. of shafts but still was a bit confused on what to purchase.  The most difficult part to actually locate was an original T Connector.  All the other connectors appear to be available.  The original used an External Aluminum Ferrule on the Lower Spreader which is .380 in. O.D. and .320 in. I.D.  The Lower Spreader themselves are Shiny wrapped carbon rods with an O.D. of .305 in. throughout the rod except near the ends when they appear reinforced to .315 in.  The I.D. is still .240 in.  I was thinking of purchasing this T Connector but had no experience with this style.

Excel T Connector 8mm

Here are some additional pics of the areas where the connectors have deteriorated.

I did order the following so far:

APA LE Connectors APA D
APA Center T 6x7mm (This part will require me to change from outer ferrule on lower spreader to internal .240 ferrule)
APA 7mm & 8mm Molded Stoppers (Doo Hinkeys)
APA Stand Off Spreader Connectors APA 312
APA Center T Connector 6x7mm (6mm end will need a 6mm ferrule to be inserted first to attach the Lower Spreaders now)

I also needed to repair an upper portion LE carbon rod with one more matched to the rest of the airframe.  The patch rod used has too weak a spine and too heavy.  Here is what I purchased.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 09:45 PM by Spectra Sport 96 » Logged
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 10:46 AM »

oooo..Kites of Boston customer eh?
you still up in this neck of the woods?

What do you need to restore? I have full sets of Reactors at my hands.

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Lou

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 10:49 AM »

I just edited the post to update some info.  Thanks for the super fast response and interest!!  I actually now live in Orlando, FL.  I'm missing the snow right now and the snowboarding!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 10:51 AM by Spectra Sport 96 » Logged
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 10:55 AM »

Oops, some of this may not apply as it was written too soon! Sounds like you've got LE fittings. Are the APA?

You should buy an internal ferrule for the spreaders and use a modern center T. The ones with the eternal ferrules are not so great.  I'll show you a picture of what I use.

APA 6x7 fittings

--------------
Well, I'm the only guy around here who flies Reactors on a regular basis, so I can probably be some help.

What do you need? Looks like lower spreaders are missing?

Probably leading edge fittings and center T need replacing. Sometimes the spreader/standoff connectors too. The original ones crumble after so much time, for fail immediately in flight. Regular APA fittings are the way to go.

If you need spars, it will be tough to find the right ones. The Skyshark 7P and 5P sticks used in the 'Nuke haven't been made in years and old stock was cleaned out by folks like me. You could advertise in the Wanted section of the swap meet. Last time I pleaded for 5Ps they were scarce. Maybe there are some 7Ps (which you would need for the lower spreaders) floating around.

If you can't get 7Ps, you could make spreaders with the newer Skyshark P300 tubes, which are the stiffest non-tapered tubes, but they would not be stiff enough. 7Ps are very stiff. The way to work this is to put a smaller diameter rod into the P300. This is often called "stuffing" and can work well. A stuffed spar can be too heavy for some applications but the 7Ps were pretty heavy. If you need to go this way, I'll give you more info.

Normally Steve, this forum's host and Gone With The Wind/Chico Kites owner is the best source for parts, especially if you're not sure which you need, but he is currently out of action for medical reasons. One of the shops listed on the right of this page should be able to help.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 11:04 AM by Allen Carter » Logged

Allen, AKA kitehead
thief
Board Moderator

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 10:57 AM »

Here is rod info from Allen Carter...those should be Skyshark 7p rods
http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=6315.msg56273#msg56273
So..you will have to find a fitting that will accept them...
The aluminum ferrule has the spreader in a deeper depth than the plastic exel center T.......
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 10:59 AM by thief » Logged

Allen Carter
Board Moderator

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 11:06 AM »

Wow! I forgot about that thread!

Thanks Thief!

Allen, AKA kitehead
Lou

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 11:10 AM »

I have the the entire air frame complete except the upper section of the LE.  It was shattered when I attempted flight in winds around 30mph during a hurricane.  Not smart I know, I wanted to see how much she could handle with the vents open.  I ordered this rod as it matched in appeareance and specs from my caliper and scale measurments.

Ok so it sounds like I ordered everything I needed.  I hope my measurments were ok.  If anyone can post some close up pics of proper bridle and LE connector mounting along with the APA Center T & ferrule connections that would incredible!!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 12:13 PM by Spectra Sport 96 » Logged
Allen Carter
Board Moderator

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 11:15 AM »

That Exel rod will fit, but is much lighter than the 7Ps. It should be OK in an Upper LE but won't be too reliable in really high wind. It may be quite loose in the external ferrule which would make for a weak spot. Also, the kite will be unbalanced unless you use the same rod on each side. Not a biggie on a havy old school kite like this, but would make things wierd on a lighter or more modern kite.

Allen, AKA kitehead
Lou

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 12:01 PM »

I'm not sure that my math computes the use of a 7P rod for the leading edge of the Nuke.  At least what I have on my original airframe is the following:

Both lower and upper LE rods are 32.5 in. in length.  Both are glossy wrapped carbon with main O.D. of rod at .285 in. with an I.D. of .245 in.  The last 2 inches of each end of the rods is additionally wrapped to an O.D. of .305 in.  The weight of each rod was approx. .520 oz.  So to summarize the specs:

32.5" in.
.245 I.D.
.285 in. O.D.
0.520 oz.

The Excel Ultra Light Wrapped Carbon Rod I ordered was the following specs:

32.5" in.
.247" I.D.
.288" O.D.
0.514 oz.

What are the specs of a 7P or 5P?  Are they now the P200 and P400 respectively?

Sky Shark P200

32.5"
.244"
.290"
0.562 oz

Sky Shark P400

32.5"
.244"
.300"
0.730 oz
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 06:18 AM by Spectra Sport 96 » Logged
Allen Carter
Board Moderator

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 12:25 PM »

7P sticks weighed at least 25 grams.

The 5Ps were more like 15 grams. They generally have a white band around one end. I don't recall the band color on 7Ps but it either case its often not there. Sounds like you have a kite framed in 5Ps. Very unusual, but a MUCH better kite. In that case the Excel stick is indeed a good replacement fr a ULE. For things like spreader you's want whichever spar was stiffer and in a matched set.

The P300 is a tiny bit stiffer than the 400 but the 400 is stronger. Both are quite a bit more flexible than a 5P, so they may not be a good replacement in some areas of the kite.I don't know about the flex characteristics of the Excel, but it's easy to compare to the stock sticks.

This chart was last updated in like 1998 but it has useful info on a variety of older spars.

http://www.nic.fi/~sos/spars/spars98.htm
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 12:30 PM by Allen Carter » Logged

Allen, AKA kitehead
Smeagol
Trade Count: (+79)

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 12:33 PM »

I may have some 7P's, would need to look through all the rods.  Sounds like yours might be different though anyway.

-Mike
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 12:34 PM by Smeagol » Logged
thief
Board Moderator

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2013, 12:35 PM »

These might help a little bit....swiped from Viper Sport Kites

Stiffness

Deflection

Lou

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2013, 12:36 PM »

The LE tubes and the Upper Spreader have a White band on them each.  Both have the the same specs.

The Lower Spreader and Spine both have a Green band on them and here are the specs as measured:

32.5" in.
.245" I.D.
.301" O.D.
0.750 oz.

This looks like a Sky Shark P400

Sky Shark P400

32.5" in.
.244" I.D.
.300" O.D.
0.730 oz.

As in archery spine value or deflection value is also critical.  This is the one value that is difficult for me to compare as I do not understand what is the universal standard to measure deflection in kiting airframes as we do in archery and arrow manufacturing.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 01:30 PM by Spectra Sport 96 » Logged
thief
Board Moderator

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2013, 12:42 PM »

7ps have a green ring...
in googling i saw that i think it was Marty Sasaki who posted that in his Nuke there was 5p LE with 7p spreaders........

"I was surprised to see 5p rods in the leading edge of Spectra's Nuclear Reactor. I was expecting to find a 7p there."

I will admit that i have 2 full sets of the appropriate sticks...but they come in nice Custom Colored Nuclear Reactor shaped packages...(they need fittings as well).....
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 12:45 PM by thief » Logged

Lou

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2013, 12:48 PM »

I will admit that i have 2 full sets of the appropriate sticks...but they come in nice Custom Colored Nuclear Reactor shaped packages...(they need fittings as well).....

Do you have any interest in selling the two sets?  If they are other than the Red/White/Black theme I have it would be nice to add to a collection! Smiley

Quote fixed. Il Duce
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 12:50 PM by chilese » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography