GWTW Forum
July 28, 2014, 11:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spectra Sports Nuclear Reactor Restoration Help!  (Read 10662 times)
Michel
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2013, 12:54 PM »

Hi Spectra Sport 96, welcome aboard !

I own many Spectra Sport Kites and 3 Nuclear Reactors ! I reframed my 3 Nuclear because all original SkyShark fittings were damaged.  Sad

I did order the following so far:

APA LE Connectors APA D

No, that's to big for the original SkyShark 7P no tapered tubes of your Nuclear Reactor !

You have to order APA "C". Just put them in boiling water before insert into the leading edges and that will work perfect.

APA Center T 6x7mm (This part will require me to change from outer ferrule on lower spreader to internal .240 ferrule)

No, keep the original SkyShark aluminium ferrule but replace the bad SkyShark Center-T by a vinyl ferrule !

APA 7mm & 8mm Molded Stoppers (Doo Hinkeys)

Why don't you keep the original stoppers ? Are they damaged (it happens, I know) ? But I would replace them by cuted vinyl 7 mm endcaps.

APA Stand Off Spreader Connectors APA 312

No, to big again. Use APA .250 and boiling water !

Good luck for your reframe of this nice kite (he won the Team WorldCup in Le Touquet - France with Team Tsunami in 1994). I was there !
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 01:01 PM by Michel » Logged
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2013, 12:54 PM »

yep...I can shoot you a private message about them.

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Lou
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2013, 03:24 PM »

Can you guys with the Nuclear Reactors or any of the Reactors please post up images of your Center T setups and bridle wraps aound the LE Connectors.  Its been a while and I want to make sure i set this up correctly please.  Thanks again!

@Michel

I will purchase the APA "C" and the APA .250 connectors to have backup as they are cheap enough. All of the stoppers are gone except two on one LE which seem super soft and ready to fall off if forced.  I'll just replace them all with the Molded stoppers as I can glue them onto the LE shafts.

I don't understand what you meant by "replace the bad SkyShark Center-T by a vinyl ferrule!"  Can you post some images of this setup please?
Michel

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2013, 03:28 PM »

I don't understand what you meant by "replace the bad SkyShark Center-T by a vinyl ferrule!"  Can you post some images of this setup please?
Oopsss, sorry !  Sad

Vinyl Center-T of course, not vinyl ferrule (or R-Sky Center-T if you don't have vinyl T).
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2013, 03:52 PM »

The way your bridle is attached at the spine and LE looks fine. At the LE I generally put the bridle between the LE fitting and the stopper. Below the LLE fitting and above the ULE fitting. At the spine, keep the bridle below the T and you might want to put a stopper after the bridle to keep it from moving down the spine. This is usually not a big deal.

Allen, AKA kitehead
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2013, 03:59 PM »

No, keep the original SkyShark aluminium ferrule but replace the bad SkyShark Center-T by a vinyl ferrule !

I recommended the modern internal ferrule because I had a hard time finding a T that would accommodate the big external ferrule. The few I found 8 or 9 years ago were not strong enough. (one set crumbled due to age...) Michel may have a different range of Ts available. Kite parts can be sort of regional. He's certainly the Reactor guy. I believe he has some that used to be mine. :-) (I've only got four left)

The other reason I wouldn't go back to the external ferrule for my kites is they tend to rub against the sail in storage and leave a wear spot. Probably just me being lazy when I put the kite away.

Allen, AKA kitehead
Michel

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2013, 04:13 PM »

Yes but with an internal ferrule, you have to cut the 2 Lower Spreaders because of the width of the Center-T. If not, you'll not have the same wingspan.

I always try too to keep my vintage kites in the configuration of the original kite.
Lou

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2013, 04:21 PM »

Sadly as I tried to find an equal replacement to the original Center T none were found that could accomadate the .300 in. spine and the .380 in. Aluminum Externel Ferrule.  I will have to try the Excel Center T I listed earlier in the post or go the route Allen Carter mentioned with the APA Center T, both will require internal carbon ferrule.  The Excel Center T option will not require me to cut the Lower Spreader to maintain the same wing span.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 04:25 PM by Spectra Sport 96 » Logged
Michel

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2013, 04:35 PM »

But take care with the Exel Center in strong winds.

This Center-T can break.
Lou

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2013, 04:52 PM »

Can you increase the diameter of any of these Center-Ts by drilling the hole to a larger spec?
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2013, 06:01 PM »

Ok for the nuke to fly right you really need as close to the original stuff as possible.  My nuke has 5P LE, 5P upper, 7P lower, 7P spine.  For the center T I got a piece of delrin rod from tap plastics (you can use lexan rod too) and driled it out to match the ferrule and spine. An APA T will work too if you ferrule the rods.  As an alternative to the 7P spreaders you can use skyshark nitro tapered rods.  Best place to go for frame advice is to the guy that made them.  Jon Trenephols shop is linked on the right.  Give him a call over at skyburners shop and he can tell you what will be closest to the 7P and he may even have some old stock around as well.  I know me and Allen bought out Steves leftover stock of old rods.
Lou

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2013, 06:35 PM »

Best place to go for frame advice is to the guy that made them.  Jon Trenephols shop is linked on the right.  Give him a call over at skyburners shop and he can tell you what will be closest to the 7P and he may even have some old stock around as well.  I know me and Allen bought out Steves leftover stock of old rods.

Well, I called Jon over at Sky Shark / Sky Burner to see if he could give me his best estimate on an 5P equivalent.  He asked to call me back, as he needed some time to look through his inventory.  He had sounded a bit busy and I didnt want to pressure him so I said "OK thanks Jon,  I'll talk with you later."  I figured he had been depleted of these tubes for quite a while and would call me back next week or something.  He calls me back in like 10 minutes to tell me has one 5P  in 32.5in. and in a 36in.  He then tells me he would send me the 32.5in. and cut the 36in. down to 32.5in. and cap it as a backup rod for the Upper LE.  I couldn't believe my luck and how nice this guy was!  The kiting community has not changed at all since I last remebered it in the mid 90's.  Glad to be back doing this again!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 06:38 PM by Spectra Sport 96 » Logged
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2013, 08:20 PM »

Jon is a great guy.

I called him once about an issue that I had with my iNak.   Basically, I had lost the battens, but did not realize it.  He diagnosed my problem and was kind enough to send me out a replacement set all for free!  Super nice guy and a pleasure to talk to.

Tom

6 kite tom
johnfarl
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2013, 09:07 PM »

I have two Spectra Sport kites  Reactor Pro and one that is larger.  I would like to find more information on those kites.  I think the larger one is called a Maxi Edge.  Does anyone know where there is list and set of specs for these kites.

I love how they fly.   With exception of rotting connectors which have all been replace they are really excellent kites.  Love the way they hold a line.  The reactor pro is actually trickable with slot machines, fades and axles.  The bigger one doesn't like to be knocked out of its flight.

John
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2013, 09:27 PM »

I have two Spectra Sport kites  Reactor Pro and one that is larger.  I would like to find more information on those kites.  I think the larger one is called a Maxi Edge.  Does anyone know where there is list and set of specs for these kites.

I love how they fly.   With exception of rotting connectors which have all been replace they are really excellent kites.  Love the way they hold a line.  The reactor pro is actually trickable with slot machines, fades and axles.  The bigger one doesn't like to be knocked out of its flight.

John
Post up some pics when you can.  The reactor pro is a fun kite and with a bit of tweaking really trickable.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document