GWTW Forum
October 24, 2014, 06:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spectra Sports Nuclear Reactor Restoration Help!  (Read 12757 times)
Michel
Trade Count: (+12)

« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2013, 01:03 AM »

I have two Spectra Sport kites  Reactor Pro and one that is larger.  I would like to find more information on those kites.  I think the larger one is called a Maxi Edge.  Does anyone know where there is list and set of specs for these kites.

I'm not sure that you'll find many specs for these kites on the web. Perhaps on the old GWTW forum but I don't know if it's still possible to read the messages.

But what do you need exactly ? Some of us can help you probably.

With exception of rotting connectors which have all been replace they are really excellent kites.

Yes, take care with these old bad SkyShark pieces and dont' wait to put all leading edges connectors, standoffs connectors, center-T, stoppers into the trash. Replace LE connectors by APA "C" and .250 for the standoffs and winglets.

Don't wait until break by flight and damage to the sail with a spar !
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 02:10 AM by Michel » Logged
Lou
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2013, 11:04 AM »

I have two Spectra Sport kites  Reactor Pro and one that is larger.  I would like to find more information on those kites.  I think the larger one is called a Maxi Edge.  Does anyone know where there is list and set of specs for these kites.

John

Reactor Pro
8'+ wingspan
Skyshark 5P frame
Nylon or Poly sail

Reactor Lite
8'+ wingspan
Skyshark 3P frame
Poly sail with light reinforcements.

Nuclear Reactor
8'+ wingspan
5P LE
5P US
7P Spine
7P LS
Variable Vented poly or nylon sail with removable panels.

Reactor Plus
9'+ wingspan
5P frame
Poly sail

Reactor Microlite
A bit under 8'+ wingspan
5.5 Gram Response Zero Gold sticks
Very light poly sail. Single standoffs. Very light fittings

Info originally provided by Allen Carter in a previous post.  I updated the Nuclear Reactor to be more specific on airframe.
Lou

« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2013, 12:38 PM »

I wanted to try and see if a Dynamic or "Pro" bridle could be installed to allow more customized flight characteristics.  I'm somewhat confused as most "guides" to convert a static to dynamic bridle use a different bridle style where the "single line" connects from the upper leading edge to the lower leading edge.  The Nuclear Reactor has a static bridle where the "single line"  goes from the upper leading edge to the spine.  So I'm not sure how to convert accordingly.  I was thinking about removing the original bridle and storing it away and just buy a new one.

Static Bridle:

Static to Dynamic Bridle Conversion:
Step 1

Step 2

Step 3
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 12:51 PM by Spectra Sport 96 » Logged
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2013, 03:44 PM »

First off you have to identify how the static bridle is built.  Find out if the inhaul and up haul are one piece or the up haul and out haul are one piece.  Once you figure that out then the conversion is easy. 

Now if your static bridle already has a tow point pig tail separate from the rest of the bridle then its even easier to convert.  If the tow point pig tail is separate (larks headed to the up and out hauls with the inhaul larks headed to the pig tail)and the up and out hauls are one piece of line then make new pigtail loops 20 cm long.  Tie a knot at 12 cm from the loop end of the new pig tail and attatch them using a prussic knot to the up and out hauls (once attached the "turbo" leg should be approx 10 cm). Tie the inhaul to the new pig tail with a larks head above the knot you made for the turbo leg (flying line side) and test fly.

If your static bridle is built diferent from what I described then post back and I'll help with that conversion.
Michel

« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2013, 04:10 PM »

Hi all,

Many pictures of Spectra Sport Kites => here  Wink
Lou

« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2013, 05:06 PM »

First off you have to identify how the static bridle is built.  Find out if the inhaul and up haul are one piece or the up haul and out haul are one piece.  Once you figure that out then the conversion is easy. 

Now if your static bridle already has a tow point pig tail separate from the rest of the bridle then its even easier to convert.  If the tow point pig tail is separate (larks headed to the up and out hauls with the inhaul larks headed to the pig tail)and the up and out hauls are one piece of line then make new pigtail loops 20 cm long.  Tie a knot at 12 cm from the loop end of the new pig tail and attatch them using a prussic knot to the up and out hauls (once attached the "turbo" leg should be approx 10 cm). Tie the inhaul to the new pig tail with a larks head above the knot you made for the turbo leg (flying line side) and test fly.

If your static bridle is built diferent from what I described then post back and I'll help with that conversion.

The bridle on The Nuclear Reactor looks like this:

GREEN = Pigtail
RED = One piece line from Upper LE, Lark Knot at Pigtail, then through to Spine (Uphaul/Inhaul)
BLUE = Individual line attached from Lower LE to Pigtail (Outhaul)
YELLOW = Individual line attached from LE midsection to Pigtail (Appears to be spar support for high winds)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 05:08 PM by Spectra Sport 96 » Logged
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2013, 10:21 PM »

OK. THe conversion for that bridle is going to be a bit more involved. Note all stock bridle measurements before starting in case you want to put it back stock.

1. take the middle high wind support leg off for the moment but leave it on the LE.

2. Mark the up haul 1 inch above the pig tail.

3.Take the out haul off the pig tail and remove any loop in the line and tie a single knot at the end (measure and note the loop length incase you want to put it back to stock).

4. Larks head the up/inhaul to the out haul at the mark you made in step 2 making sure the knot you tied in the end of the out haul doesn't slip out.

5. Mark the inhaul 1 inch below (toward the spine) the pig tail and turn the larks head knot the pig tail is currently using into a prussic knot by passing the pig tail around and through the center of the larks knot making a double wrap

6. Move the pig tail 1 inch toward the inhaul (the mark you made in step 5) so the total turbo leg length will be 2 inches(5 cm)

7. Test fly and proceed to step 8 if you like the set up.

8. take the high wind support leg and set it up as you did the out haul in step 3.  Loosen the larks head the out haul is on and put the high wind leg there as well.

To adjust AOA you will need to move the out haul up or down.  Turn rate move the turbo leg in or out.  As an alternative AOA adjustment you can tie 3 more knots on the out haul at 1/2 inch spacing from the end during step 3 and move the larks head on those knots.

Lou

« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2013, 10:10 AM »

Ok I got my hardware in yesterday.  I still will need to wait on replacement 5P from Jon@Skyshark.  The new Excel tube I ordered was much better, specifications wise, than the heavy spongey pultruded carbon repair shaft that was on it from the 96' Hurricane Edouard incident!  It matched weight, dimensions and appearance but was still not stiff enough, the spine value is still a bit lower than the 5P.

Parts

Assembled and Reborn!

New Center-T Assembly

Completely Rebuilt Stand-Offs (New Rods and Connectors)

New Leading Edge Connectors

New Bungie Cord all around

Initial Launch from Florida

« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 10:01 PM by Spectra Sport 96 » Logged
johnfarl
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2013, 10:44 AM »

Thanks Spectra Sport for the info.  The big kite I have is a Plus.  Wing span is 9' 4".  I think it is 5P frame.

Do you know what the wind range is?  I am figuring from about 7 to 8 up to 20 mph.

John
Michel

« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2013, 02:43 PM »

Nice job Spectra Sport 96 !

New Leading Edge Connectors

But unfortunatly, the knots on the leading edges are not like the original and your bridle will be a bit too long. The Spectra Sport Kites knots are very good !

Thanks Spectra Sport for the info.  The big kite I have is a Plus.  Wing span is 9' 4".  I think it is 5P frame.

Yes, SkyShark 5P frame.

Do you know what the wind range is?  I am figuring from about 7 to 8 up to 20 mph.

2-10 mph - 1 -> 3 Beaufort. (Spectra Sport Kites catalog 1995).

« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 05:30 AM by Michel » Logged
Lou

« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2013, 05:53 PM »

But unfortunatly, the knots on the leading edges are not like the original and your bridle will be a bit too long. The Spectra Sport Kites knots are very good !

These knots were factory.  It has gone unchanged since 96' so I'm not sure what yours looks like.  I'm not sure what they are called as they appear only on the Upper Outhaul and the Lower Outhaul.  It looks like a larks head hitch, but with an overhand loop wrapped around itself.  I'd actually just learned how to make/replicate this knot and it is very secure.  Please post an image of what you have on your kites please.  I'm intrigued. 
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 03:06 PM by Spectra Sport 96 » Logged
Michel

« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2013, 04:34 AM »

Hi Spectra Sport 96,

These knots were factory.  It has gone unchanged since 96' so I'm not sure what yours looks like.  I'm not sure what they are called as they appear only on the Upper Outhaul and the Lower Outhaul.  It looks like a larks head hitch, but with the overhand loop wrapped around itself.  I'd actually like to learn how to make this knot as it is very secure.  Please post an image of what you have on your kites please.  I'm intrigued.

Your knots are perhaps right but they have to go around the connectors and not below or above the APAs. For all Spectra Sport Kites.

Like this :

« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 04:40 AM by Michel » Logged
Lou

« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2013, 06:28 AM »

Thank you Michel.  Since last I opened the kite bag, all the connectors had turned into gray powder.  I couldn't remember where and how the lines and connections where placed.  Thanks so much for the close up images.  Here are the corrected connections.

I still have a few more questions on finishing this restoration.

• Does everything else look to be ok?
  • I want to apply a new Spectra Sport Kites logo to the lower leading edge panel.  Any input on how that was done from the factory?  The mylar laminate seems to have come off to a point where the logo came off with it.  The decal was literally flaked off when touched and then washing the sail completely removed it.
  • Also, does anyone have a copy of any materials or brochures that would have been around at the time.  I'd want to create a portrait of advertising and instructional materials from Spectra Sport and frame it to hang on the wall with the kite.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 03:06 PM by Spectra Sport 96 » Logged
Michel

« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2013, 07:39 AM »

mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2013, 12:16 PM »

you could try to make a template from an adhesive backed paper then use Design Master Paints to paint it on. But white over black will require multiple coats, design master does scratch and flake when put on thick though. Know a local screen printer?

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change