GWTW Forum
December 19, 2014, 07:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 ... 3 [4] 5 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spectra Sports Nuclear Reactor Restoration Help!  (Read 14774 times)
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2013, 01:41 PM »

That's a good looking Nuke!

My first one looked like this:

Really funky colors (and the Pro flat on the ground...) Embarrassed

Allen, AKA kitehead
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2013, 04:19 PM »

That's a good looking Nuke!

My first one looked like this:

Really funky colors (and the Pro flat on the ground...) Embarrassed
Hehe looks like my nuke Allen

Nuclear reactor by Ca Ike, on Flickr
Lou
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2013, 04:49 PM »

Wow, everyone seems to have the same Team UpRoar Color Nukes!  How many Reds or Blues did they even make or survived then?

Looks like I also located a Screen Printing facility in Orlando that uses Plastisol & IC 900 Series White Nylon to print on nylon materials.  I'm going to see how much a template and a single run will cost me to re-do my Nuke.  I still don't have a clean image of the logo to be used yet.  Can anyone with a Nuke please get a hi-def close up image of the logo from the kite itself.  I know posting images can be a pain but i would really appreciate the support.

By the way, my name is Lou.  Calling me Spectra seems odd now that we've started to communicate on the forums Smiley
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 04:54 PM by Spectra Sport 96 » Logged
Ca Ike

« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2013, 05:19 PM »

I got mine from Larry NAvaro who used to fly for the spectra sports team. When I get a chance I'll make a trace from the logos on my nuke for ya.  THe only one on it though is the specrta one on the wing tip.
Lou

« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2013, 06:36 PM »

Thanks Ike!  I appreciate getting that logo to spec, its going to cost a bit having it screened on but I think worth it if these kites are no longer around. 

I also got annoyed that the factory aluminum ferrule was still unused so I tore the spine out and flipped the APA Center-T around and milled out the .240 ferrule hole to .280.  Now its a .280 x .280 Center-T and uses the aluminum ferrule again for that Ole Skool finish!

Scanned Logo from Kite Bag... sadly not the same as the kite wing tip logo I need!

« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 06:21 AM by Spectra Sport 96 » Logged
Michel
Trade Count: (+12)

« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2013, 03:12 AM »

Hi Lou,

Thatís probably the best solution to replace the broken SkyShark Center-T, because you donít need to cut the Lower Spreaders.

And the special 7P metallic SkyShark external ferrule will work perfect !

But are you sure itís ďAPAĒ fittings ?

I own some of these Center-T and itís written ďAviaĒ on them. I know that APA means Avia Prism Aerie but this T is not very old and Aerie Kiteworks is out of business for many years...  Wink

Bravo Lou, your Nuke looks very nice now and I like this grey/red color !

P.S. : with the "new" knots assembly around the APA Leading egdes connectors, the Upper Spreader is now perfect in the middle of the diamond protection on the sail. Was a bit to low before... Wink. The Lower Spreaders are right straight too...

I also got annoyed that the factory aluminum ferrule was still unused so I tore the spine out and flipped the APA Center-T around and milled out the .240 ferrule hole to .280.  Now its a .280 x .280 Center-T and uses the aluminum ferrule again for that Ole Skool finish!

« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 04:52 AM by Michel » Logged
Lou

« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2013, 05:06 AM »

Good morning Michel,

Yes the Center-T as sold by Goodwinds here in the states has it labeled as seen below.  There is no AVIA stamped on these pieces, as I have seen by other vendors who sell it under the G-Force brand name.

I actually spot glued the stoppers onto the LE tubes where the originals were.  This then allowed the upper/lower spreaders to line up correctly.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 07:01 AM by Spectra Sport 96 » Logged
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2013, 05:16 AM »

goodwinds purchased Avia composites a few years back...they are probably just making new ones with the branding missing...

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Michel

« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2013, 08:14 AM »

Ca Ike

« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2013, 11:44 AM »

Good morning Michel,

Yes the Center-T as sold by Goodwinds here in the states has it labeled as seen below.  There is no AVIA stamped on these pieces, as I have seen by other vendors who sell it under the G-Force brand name.

THis T has always been made by Avia but when Mark(prism) and Ken(aerie) came into the picture as partners it all became APA. THats why you will see different logos on them.  Who came up with what fitting idea is another question. Just be glad they partnered up or we'd probably still be using vinyl tubing Tongue
Michel

« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2013, 12:07 PM »

... and don't forget my friends that these nice Avia/APA Center-Ts are not only available by Goodwinds but also by the best kiteshop in the world => hereCheesy

P.S. Ca Ike : there is only 2 sorts of these Center-Ts - Without label or with "Avia" label. Never with APA label.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 12:11 PM by Michel » Logged
Lou

« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2013, 03:21 PM »

I received my 5P's from Jon this week and was excited to finally get the proper replacement on the Nuke.  Took it out for a test flight past couple days.  Winds have been at 12-15mph, gusts 25+.  It's been super fun hearing this kite rip the airways again!  Here are some images of the tubes Jon sent to me and the incorrect Axis tube I was using the past couple weeks.  I wonder in what year the two tubes were manufactured, based on the decal type printed on the tubes.  Definitely post 1995/96 as those were white pinstripe tape labeled.

Also, any luck with anyone able to take accurate pics of the decal on the wing on the Nuke.  I'm ready to take the kite to a screen print company but I don't have an image to use yet.  Please, if anyone is able to trace or simply take a clean flat image I can work with the logo and determine correct size and position.  The sooner I get this project done the sooner I can move onto another Spectra Kite.  I think thief may have some still available for sale.  Grin

« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 08:12 PM by Spectra Sport 96 » Logged
Lou

« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2013, 02:03 PM »

Hoping anyone can still take a clean pic of the spectra logo on the lower leading edge on the Spectra Nuclear Reactor?
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2013, 02:44 PM »

I assume the logo is the same on other Reactor kites. I'll shoot it for you this weekend. I have at least one loose sail, maybe ill put glass over the logo to make it nice and flat and include a tape measure?

Allen, AKA kitehead
Lou

« Reply #59 on: March 01, 2013, 06:19 PM »

I assume the logo is the same on other Reactor kites. I'll shoot it for you this weekend. I have at least one loose sail, maybe ill put glass over the logo to make it nice and flat and include a tape measure?

That would be awesome!

I've got several Spectra Sports kites in the Kite Cave.
I'll do a little spelunking and see if any have a useful logo on them.

Thank you also!
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4] 5 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum