GWTW Forum
April 17, 2014, 08:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 ... 5 [6] 7 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spectra Sports Nuclear Reactor Restoration Help!  (Read 8906 times)
madhabitz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #75 on: March 12, 2013, 12:41 PM »

Nancy, I only have a very early (2001) version of PSE that came with my a scanner. I worked in greyscale and sent along the original rgb file as well...
Don't think my version will do those export options. Or, I don't know how  Wink
Pretty sure it'll work just fine- you did a *great* job of it. In fact, it's likely a much better image than what they are used to getting from people. You did good. Smiley

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
Lou
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #76 on: March 12, 2013, 01:35 PM »

Nancy, I only have a very early (2001) version of PSE that came with my a scanner. I worked in greyscale and sent along the original rgb file as well...
Don't think my version will do those export options. Or, I don't know how  Wink
Pretty sure it'll work just fine- you did a *great* job of it. In fact, it's likely a much better image than what they are used to getting from people. You did good. Smiley

Whitebirdlover did excellent.  I just require one piece of information... the mesaurements so they can scale it correctly.  I guess the triangle will be perfect item to measure if you could please.  Thanks!!!!
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #77 on: March 12, 2013, 11:46 PM »

A vector format is most easily scaled since it is not based on pixels but coordinates and will scale without getting pixelated (jagged edges). 

Adobe has its own vector format .eps (Encapsulated PostScript), Microsoft developed the .wmf format (Windows Metafile ), and the web and most browsers support the .svg format (Scalable Vector Graphics). If the printer has any trouble with scaling I can convert it into any of them their program will support.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
whitebirdlover
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #78 on: March 13, 2013, 01:05 AM »

Top leg of the triangle is 4 3/16 "

Anthony
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #79 on: March 13, 2013, 03:21 PM »

OK, I've got a fairly high res photo. Don't know if its better than what you already have. The logo is 16" and at that size the photo is 222ppi. This is good enough to make a good PostScript outline from without too much fiddling.

I'll send a PM with link.

Allen, AKA kitehead
Lou

« Reply #80 on: March 13, 2013, 05:21 PM »

OK, I've got a fairly high res photo. Don't know if its better than what you already have. The logo is 16" and at that size the photo is 222ppi. This is good enough to make a good PostScript outline from without too much fiddling.

I'll send a PM with link.

Thanks Allen!

I just got back from a few screen print companies today and no one will touch the logo Whitebirdlover did for me.  They explained it was too jagged an image.  It looks like only a flat, real image of the white logo on a black background, or a black logo on white background can be worked into a proper negative and then used to make the transparency for screen printing.  At least thats what these shops advised me.  I think due to the economy most of these shops are pushing hard for custom image development which I see no need for.  I have great examples to provide.  I may try to purchase a DIY screen print kit and try my hand at this on a piece of ripstop nylon.  The clean logo and transparency creation is the hardest part it seems.  The actual painting itself is the easier part!

I also thought about maybe just grabbing a white paint pen and going to a few kite shows in the future and hope I can get some autographs from some of the cooler kite guys.  That can surely fill in that spot on the kite.  Smiley

-or-

I can purchase another Reactor and tandem the two together .  I think I might need 20+ mph constant wind to make that work.  THE WEIGHT!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 05:24 PM by Spectra Sport 96 » Logged
Lou

« Reply #81 on: March 13, 2013, 06:33 PM »

**UPDATE**

I just installed Adobe Illustrator and will attempt to convert the images provided to me into vector artwork.  Maybe I can get a clean result from the original kite images.  Wish me some luck... looks like learning curve on  Adobe illustrator is a bit steep!
DD

« Reply #82 on: March 13, 2013, 09:15 PM »

I think the screen print guys dont see the $$ with it to put the effort in.  I would goto a vinyl sign guy and get them to cut you a negative. I have friends that do this and they can handle most formats. Some good spray paint and your done. Should be cheaper then a silk screen too.
Just my 2 cents

Sine Metu!
madhabitz

« Reply #83 on: March 13, 2013, 09:38 PM »

Gads, it's been years, but I used to be able to do this stuff in my sleep. Had it down to just a few specific steps that had excellent results. Now there is no more CRT screen (wah!), my editing software is on some disc somewhere and I have no idea how to do it anymore, let alone provide any kind of decent result.

Did the screenprinting companies give you any kind of guidelines (file format, resolution, etc.)?

I went back to look at the logo on my computer rather than my phone (oops). There IS enough to work with but Allen's photo would give a better starting place.

One thing that will save tons and tons of time: except for the first stylized "S," that logo is made up of a very common italicized font. You'd only have to figure out which font, then type the sucker out. That would leave just the first "S" and the logo to create outlines for. Illustrator will convert your fonts into outlines for you so you don't end up with font issues at the printer's.

Let me see if I can figure out the font for you- might be late tonight.

Nancy

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
madhabitz

« Reply #84 on: March 13, 2013, 09:40 PM »

I think the screen print guys dont see the $$ with it to put the effort in.  I would goto a vinyl sign guy and get them to cut you a negative. I have friends that do this and they can handle most formats. Some good spray paint and your done. Should be cheaper then a silk screen too.
Just my 2 cents
That is a really excellent idea!

Lou

« Reply #85 on: March 13, 2013, 10:01 PM »

Just my 2 cents
That is a really excellent idea!

So go to one of those vinyl sticker guys in the malls or small shops?  Like the vinyl stickers you put on back windows and the like?  I think I can find some of these guys around.  What spray paint then would be best without cracking or peeling on nylon kite sail??  Thanks for the advice!

I also am quite lost at the moment with Illustrator so if anyone wants to take a stab with the images thats fine with me lol!!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 05:53 AM by Spectra Sport 96 » Logged
madhabitz

« Reply #86 on: March 13, 2013, 11:21 PM »

From what I understand, Design Master spray paints are really good. You have the right idea on the vinyl. For awhile, even some Kinko's shops had this service . They still might. Basically you'd be having them cut a mask.

People spend whole lifetimes mastering Illustrator, so it is understandable that you would feel confused. I used to know enough to do what I needed to do, but it was pretty basic stuff in the grand scheme of things.

Am home now... am going to grab a bite, then if my eyeballs are still open, I will putz around with fonts.

madhabitz

« Reply #87 on: March 14, 2013, 02:23 AM »

Welp..... the old eyeballs didn't last long-- fell asleep in my chair.  Embarrassed

The good news is that the font is just a simple Arial. Allen, if you will PM the link, I could really use a clean image to layer with this text to do some kerning (spacing) stuff. I am a tad short of time in the next couple of days, but will keep putzing with this as I can.

Allen's photo will really help with the S-logo too, which is actually pretty straight forward.

n.

DD

« Reply #88 on: March 14, 2013, 07:41 AM »

Yeh vinyl stickers like you see on cars. Most sign shops could do it and clean up the image easily. We ran numbers and graphics in vinyl for many years. Now things have shifted somewhat to printed vinyl.

Sine Metu!
Allen Carter
Board Moderator

« Reply #89 on: March 14, 2013, 10:59 AM »

The black border lines around the white characters would add to the complexity of a postscript conversion. I'd say select just the white characters from the ripstop background, past on a black field and clean up any glitches from the selection in the bit map file so the edges are nice ans smooth. The cleaner the bitmap edges the better the path Illustrator can render. It might be better to flip the white characters to balck on a white background but it's been so long sinch I did this type of thing that it may not matter t all.

Brainfart: Why didn't I think of this before? I can get a higher res capture by putting the sail in my scanner. It would be in two sections but could split between the words Spectra ans Sport. Sorry I didn't think of this before. My home computer stuff is all taken apart, but the scanner plugs into my laptop easy. I'll take a look.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 11:15 AM by Allen Carter » Logged

Allen, AKA kitehead
Pages: 1 ... 5 [6] 7 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography