GWTW Forum
November 22, 2014, 06:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 ... 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spectra Sports Nuclear Reactor Restoration Help!  (Read 13875 times)
madhabitz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #90 on: March 14, 2013, 01:23 PM »

Allen, your photo is perfect for my needs, so no worries for now. Getting the black outlines is as easy as a keystroke. The larger issue will be getting the black outline onto fabric. Those outlines will be teenytiny channels to cut out of vinyl.... or two separate masks. White one first, then somehow line up the separate little pieces on top of it to spray the black. Heck, the vinyl guys probably know how to deal with this. I would ask them.

OR! Someone with a steady hand can outline everything with a paint marker. Grin

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #91 on: March 14, 2013, 02:03 PM »

The kite in question has black wingtips. The thin black border around the logo will not show unless you and a foot or two away.

On the gray paneled kite I photographed, the black border hardly shows at viewing distance.

Allen, AKA kitehead
madhabitz

« Reply #92 on: March 14, 2013, 02:30 PM »

How practical would it be to zigzag stitch the outlines in black thread?

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
Lou
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #93 on: March 14, 2013, 04:11 PM »

I wanted to note to all involved to save some pain and agony  Smiley   

My Nuclear Reactor has no borders around the logo.  It was a solid white like whitebirdlovers image.  So no need to work extra hard on making any borders.

So if you are using the logo with the border I can imagine the outer edge of that logo is in alignment with the all white logo.  Just color fill the entire image rather than creating the border.  Did that makes sense??? Smiley

OK, probably way too late, but I successfully retrieved a Spectra Sports kite from the Kite Cave.
Just quick shots, if useful, I will scan them flattened in high .dpi format.
white text on black
outlined white text on some horrible '90s shade of yellow  Shocked

I think any image of the logo super flat like between two pieces of glass will work.  I want to buy a kite at this point so I can try my hand at getting a clean original image myself now lol.  Anyone interested in selling one, I think thief hasnt responded to me yet.  He had a nice red white blue Nuke I think.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 04:16 PM by Spectra Sport 96 » Logged
madhabitz

« Reply #94 on: March 14, 2013, 04:16 PM »

heheh.... yup, it made sense. Just had myself a d'oh moment.

DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #95 on: March 14, 2013, 06:32 PM »

Want shadows or other colors, just two masks. Easy stuff in vinyl.

Sine Metu!
Lou

« Reply #96 on: March 14, 2013, 07:00 PM »

Want shadows or other colors, just two masks. Easy stuff in vinyl.

Im sorry DD, I didnt understand.  I just need a mask made I guess to spray on the Designer paint in white.
whitebirdlover

« Reply #97 on: March 15, 2013, 08:22 AM »

O.K. I have an Illustrator professional who looked at the .tiff file I sent you and he says no problem making a screen ready file to scale. He wants $40.00 to do the graphics work. I taped the sail flat for all practical purposes and he says the letters look true enough to screen well. Whadda ya think?
Update:
Here is the proof (final will have background dropped). Looks very clean, white areas on logo reflect offset due to alignment done to bring horizontals into register and will not be part of final layout.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 04:45 PM by whitebirdlover » Logged

Anthony
Lou

« Reply #98 on: March 15, 2013, 06:22 PM »

O.K. I have an Illustrator professional who looked at the .tiff file I sent you and he says no problem making a screen ready file to scale. He wants $40.00 to do the graphics work. I taped the sail flat for all practical purposes and he says the letters look true enough to screen well. Whadda ya think?
Update:
Here is the proof (final will have background dropped). Looks very clean, white areas on logo reflect offset due to alignment done to bring horizontals into register and will not be part of final layout.

Thanks whitebirdlover for all the effort put forth in this restoration.  Although I was trying to avoid spending too much in this restoration I may have no other choice.  At $40 for just the logo design work it may be in my best interest to just buy another Reactor and bring the sail into the vinyl shop.  At the same time if I had an excellent logo file I could have a professional transparency made to DIY a screen print template and do the resto painting myself.  I really rather not spend so much on graphical work although I'm sure its fair pricing for the labor involved.  Thank you again for the effort but let me see what other options we can work out first before spending that amount on file work.
whitebirdlover

« Reply #99 on: March 15, 2013, 06:37 PM »

Update:

Thanks whitebirdlover for all the effort put forth in this restoration.  Although I was trying to avoid spending too much in this restoration I may have no other choice.  At $40 for just the logo design work it may be in my best interest to just buy another Reactor and bring the sail into the vinyl shop.  At the same time if I had an excellent logo file I could have a professional transparency made to DIY a screen print template and do the resto painting myself.  I really rather not spend so much on graphical work although I'm sure its fair pricing for the labor involved.  Thank you again for the effort but let me see what other options we can work out first before spending that amount on file work.

Hey, no problem. I was surprised when he sent me the proof, I had spoken with him this morning and gave him the .tiff file and told him I needed to contact the potential end user before I could ask him to do any work. I think he liked the idea of doing a kite logo and invested the effort. No commitment as I mentioned. But, if nothing else works for you, you know you have a source for a clean file.

Anthony
madhabitz

« Reply #100 on: March 15, 2013, 08:34 PM »

I was just about to pm about my end of things when I saw these updates in the thread. Might as well say it here.

I've spent way too much time trying to get Illustrator installed on my machine. So frustrating. Was cool to actually find the old backup hardrive. Not only found a lot of my old programs, I found all my old photos as well. Spent hours looking thru them.

My copy of Illus. is too old for my Windows Vista machine and Vista is too old for the current trial download of Illus. Same with InDesign. The proverbial Catch-22.

$40 is a good price (very good) for graphics work if you still want to go that way. I would stick with the vinyl idea, as by the time you spent the money for screenprinting  equipment, ink, and chemicals.... not to mention the learning curve, you could probably have the job paid to be done several times over.

Got another idea for you to think about and it's likely the most obvious. Grin What if you printed out one of these logo samples Allen and Whitebird have done for you. Use either clear Contact paper or freezer paper for your mask.

Freezer paper would be my first choice. You could print the logo right onto it (cut paper to fit your printer), then cut out the part you want to spray paint.  You will need to iron the freezer paper mask onto the fabric, plastic side down. Use a cotton setting on your iron. Test first  on scrap fabric.

If you have problems putting freezer paper in your printer, it's see-thru enough for you to trace the printed logo.

Cut the logo out of the center of the freezerpaper, iron to stick it thoroughly to your fabric, then spray paint.

I am really sorry my part of this didn't work out.

Nancy

Lou

« Reply #101 on: March 16, 2013, 12:02 PM »

Does ironing of freezer paper leave any residue on the sail afterwards?  I still like the idea of a completed image that I can just use to make a vinyl mask or go even to the extreme of making the screen print template.  I'm confused at this point on what direction to take...

I'm also still interested in purchasing another Reactor.  I'd like to grab another Nuke or a Pro if anyone is up for selling one.  I liked the red/gry/wht one Allen had in one of the posts in this thread.  I also liked the Team UpRoar colors thief had.  I think he is only selling pairs though.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 12:04 PM by Spectra Sport 96 » Logged
madhabitz

« Reply #102 on: March 16, 2013, 01:07 PM »

Does ironing of freezer paper leave any residue on the sail afterwards?  I still like the idea of a completed image that I can just use to make a vinyl mask or go even to the extreme of making the screen print template.  I'm confused at this point on what direction to take...

Nope, no residue. It's awesome stuff to work with on cotton fabrics. You want your iron hot, then touch iron to paper quickly. Pressing it down in the spots you need to stick is better than ironing back and forth. You *must* test iron's heat on scrap fabric. Don't want to melt it. Mikenchico feels the fabric can hold up to the heat, so it's worth a shot.

You might be able to see thru the paper backing of Contact paper if you have a lightbox or tape it to a window. Use an exacto knife to cut. I am also wondering about using vinyl from a fabric store (they have different thicknesses at larger stores). Then you could use one of the spray adhesives that you let dry and they remain tacky. Maybe someone will know of a good one. This vinyl could be used over and over.

Lou

« Reply #103 on: March 16, 2013, 02:49 PM »

Well I just got back from a vinyl banner shop locally and they can make me the negatives/masks for $15.00 using a qualified image.  I also bought the Design Master Colortool Spray Paint in Satin White and it doesn't look as good as expected and adhesion and durability doesn't appear to be sufficient. Although the paint odor was almost like baby powder.  Huh 
I am actually looking to use Krylon products in Satin White or Jacquard Neopaque in White or Super Opaque White and will return the Design Master Colortool product.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 08:36 PM by Spectra Sport 96 » Logged
Lou

« Reply #104 on: March 17, 2013, 04:29 AM »

Well, the vinyl shop really couldn't use the .jpg images I collected so far.  They advised a vector drawing was best, as we already found out Smiley, and in .ai file format.  So I went back home and decided to give Illustrator CS6 one last try and started to watch a few YouTube video tutorials on logo creation.  Well after 5 hours of watching videos and hands on attempts here are my results.

SUCCESS!

Original Source image (provided by whitebirdlover)

Vector outline of logo, background removed (Vinyl Cut Ready)

Color filled outline (Screen Print Ready)

Scaled Up Logo image (No distortion or pixelation test)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 07:21 AM by Spectra Sport 96 » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum