GWTW Forum
August 01, 2014, 01:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dynamic Weight Distribution  (Read 1093 times)
rudyy
Trade Count: (+14)

« on: February 07, 2013, 11:53 AM »

I wonder what will happen if there is let's say an 8g of metal beads freely rolling on the spine.  So what will happen is that when the kite is flying nose up, all the weight will be at the tail, and flying nose down, all the weight at the nose.  In lazy susan, it will be nose heavy (deeper LZ?)  and in fade it will be tail heavy (more stable fade?).  Does that make any sense?

Rudy
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 11:57 AM by rudyy » Logged
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 12:10 PM »

There have been a few kites which used a sliding weight in the spine.

It didn't catch on. But maybe it wasn't done correctly.

Sounds like you should do an experiment.

Now go get your balls (bearings of course) rolling.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 12:18 PM by chilese » Logged

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 12:47 PM »

Google or search the forum for: Level One Sliding Weight system....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
harveystubbs
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 01:38 PM »

Technically, if you got the weighting right you could do a rising flare  Cool

What about active aerodynamics which change the sail profile?

How about specific areas of the bridle which are elasticated which change the angle of attack in different winds speeds or create more 'powered' yo yo's, backspins or yo-fades?  Cool

« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 01:46 PM by harveystubbs » Logged
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 01:51 PM »

I tried the elastic bridle bits for widening the windrange

by automatically changing the Angle Of Attack.

It worked for that, but tricks suffered a great deal.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
harveystubbs
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 02:04 PM »

I was kinda joking. Forgive the oxymoron but is there anything you haven't thought of ?  Cool
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 02:45 PM »

I wonder what will happen if there is let's say an 8g of metal beads freely rolling on the spine. 

Certainly if you flew the kite straight up and straight down for any length of time the beads would shift to one end or the other. In freestyle flying the movement between tricks and parts of tricks, even with a fairly slow and relaxed flying style, would probably keep the beads from moving the full length of the tube. Inertia would do its thing and by the time the beads got started the kite would be doing something else.

For actual flying the shifting weights would be a real problem. 8 grams in the nose of some kites can make them unsteady, especially in tight turns. You can certainly compensate, but the weight would keep changing. Flying would look sloppy.

Allen, AKA kitehead
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 06:06 PM »

Sliding weights have too many issues.  THe changing weight location really screws with  flying and a lot of tricks, When doing trick combos the weigh will never slide. Once you back flipthe weight wil go to the nose and won't return to the tail untill you go to fly off after the combo.  YOu also have to figure out how far to let it slide.  Tip of the tail to 3" above the T works on some kites but is too much on others.  Its a real pain to set up.
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 06:19 PM »

My favorite kites fly extremely well with no tail weight at all.  I've played around with this on my fearless and Trans several times.  It does everything but fast yoyos. 

So, aside from pitch speed, do you really need weight anywhere other than the tail?  I suppose each kite is different, but I think it's balance should be stable. 

6 kite tom
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 06:22 PM »

My favorite kites fly extremely well with no tail weight at all.  I've played around with this on my fearless and Trans several times.  It does everything but fast yoyos. 

So, aside from pitch speed, do you really need weight anywhere other than the tail?  I suppose each kite is different, but I think it's balance should be stable. 

I can't agree more.  My favorite kites fly great with no weight at all and need very small amounts to enhance pitch speed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document