GWTW Forum
August 21, 2014, 11:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: In Land flying vs shore line flying  (Read 3268 times)
Geoffrey Platt
Trade Count: (+9)

« on: June 04, 2009, 09:58 AM »

If there is one thing that I HATE about in land flying is unsteady winds. There are some nice steady days, then there are some blustery days, then there are days where there is just no wind at all. I have been finding it so frustrating when I'm in the middle of a routine having some fun, then poof! winds gone and kites on the ground. Or the opposite! in the middle of a routine and the wind jumps from 10 mph to 20 mph in less then a sec. Although, that is easier to handle then no wind at all. I have not had the opportunity to fly on the coast line much, so am unfamiliar with the winds, do you have the same problems? I can imagine if you don't how much easier it would be to fly. I guess I'm just complaining Smiley.

Geoffrey Platt
Orlando, FL
cids
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 10:25 AM »

I always dreaming of flying my Fearless STD in a big wind tunnel with steady wind and I can adjust the wind speed on demand Cheesy.

Skywatch 1 wind meter
Climax Protec 100ft./55Kg.
Shanti 100ft./90Lbs.(back-up)
Shanti 102ft./150Lbs. flying line sets
Slate color beat-up Fearless STD(Fearless SUL US, 3PT LS) - Main tricking kite
White Fearless STD(5PT) - Back up kite
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 10:30 AM »

Damn dude. Except when a thunder storm rolls through, Orlando has nice wind. You're only an hour from the beach and there isn't a hill in the entire state.
Come fly here.  Cheesy

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 07:29 PM »

if you have never flown on a shore line, DONT GO, it will make you hate inland flying with crappy winds all the more Cheesy

Maybe it's just me but at the beach i find a amazing amount of steady breeze close to the ground then i ever do inland

Sine Metu!
kiten00b
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 07:49 PM »

once you've flown at the beach, flying anywhere else is like kissing Grandma Kiss
Jim Foster

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 09:35 AM »

We have found that the farther you are from the surf line, the worse the wind.  And I don't mean miles, I mean feet.

That's why we spend most of our time along the coast.  Are we spoiled or what?

Fly Together! Share the Joy, Share the Fun
turbo23
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 10:37 AM »

1-3mph beach wind is WAY different then 1-3mph inland wind!
temoniprince
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 11:04 AM »

I live 7 min from the ocean and now i can never fly inland unless i really really really have to. i would rather be flying on 50 footers on the beach then 100feet inland.
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2009, 11:45 AM »

Ok, beach flying is very nice for the wind aspect...but on a positive note, if you can fly inland in some of the worst conditions then your skills will improve tremendously.  This can be a blessing in one way that once you do get the chance to fly on the beach, you will be awesome - even when the others there are complaining of crappy conditions you will be all smiles and doing things that will amaze them.....unless it's Mark or Lam flying next to you, then sit back and enjoy as they school ya. lol

The worst wind conditions to fly in is always better than your best day at work!

How's that for a "glass half full" attitude? Smiley

tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2009, 01:19 PM »

Steady and smooth makes all the difference in the world.  The kite becomes soo much more predictable and everything gets smoother and easier.

Look at a stream and watch the water spin and maneuver around rocks and other paths of water - its a swirl storm.  Inland wind is much the same - moving all the time in unpredictable ways which directly affect the kite.

I only get to the coast perhaps 4 times per year, but its dramatic.

-Tom

6 kite tom
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2009, 02:02 PM »

1-3mph beach wind is WAY different then 1-3mph inland wind!

... if you can fly inland in some of the worst conditions then your skills will improve tremendously.  This can be a blessing in one way that once you do get the chance to fly on the beach, you will be awesome ...

Gotta agree with these two statements, you'll fly a standard kite in barely a breeze where you wouldn't have walked out on to the field inland.

I wouldn't say awesome in my case but last year a friend was out and hadn't flown duals in years and had no idea what the tricks were that he'd heard about. I would just say this is a ... and do the trick. I do not have the consistency on any of the few tricks I can do to do that inland, at the waters edge I hit every one first time  Smiley

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Sketch

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2009, 06:36 PM »

I always dreaming of flying my Fearless STD in a big wind tunnel with steady wind and I can adjust the wind speed on demand Cheesy.
Been there done that....Anyone remember the shots we took of Mark Reed from Prism.. flying his little 3D in the "BALL ROOM" of the Boeing Transonic Wind Tunnel. A bunch of us fluttermodel makers were also avid kite flyers. During these times...we always had a Prism 3D near at hand for a quickie "kite fix Wink

Between test runs...the tunnel complex keeps air flowing at about 2 mph  (just to help keep the windtunnel's temp. under control...as well as to help remove some of the toxic residue from some of the smoke that was used to photograph air flow patterns..etc. However it was quite easy to adjust that speed quickly.

During one of these calibration tests...Our Boeing photographer shot photos of Mark's pre-Illusion test bed kite, with neon tuffs attached...as it sat in the main test chamber where it was mounted on a sting fixture.

We  later obtained a photo release from Boeing Corp. so that Mark could use those wind tunnel photos in some of his first ON LINE websites.

Fortunately for all of us kite-krazies...Mark was often our guest during these "wind tunnel maintence down times...and we would met him at the Gate 18 and provide him with our guest badges.

Another great place to fly at Boeing was inside at the Delivery center bldg. during 2nd shift down times...
The huge hanger doors would be open to expell the hot air from the building. Even though the wind would often be calm outside...just the warm air escaping would  provide plenty of steady air for Mark and the rest of us to fly our Prism Vapors and light wind kites.

I have photos that I saved of those fun "down times" of our kite sessions...on my old Micron 166 computer out in the garage.
In the near future...it would be fun to go through them again.
Mark still has many of the old photos also from those krazy daze at the Boeing wind tunnel.

I'll shoot off an E mail...and see if he can share them with us.
Here is a shot where we flew my old Goodwind Flashlight on short lines.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 08:39 PM by Sketch » Logged
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2009, 04:39 AM »

I drive an hour and a half for smooth wind every week and a half to two for smooth wind off of Jersey City through the Verazzano Narrows. It comes right off the ocean from the southeast. The only place it's not good is if it's from the northeast (off of Manhattan) and I don't even bother.

It's definitely worth it.

Smooth wind makes learning a trick much easier than if you're struggling with uncooperative, gusty and shifting wind. I just figured out the slot machine the time before last at Liberty State Park and that's because the wind was about 6 mph and smooth. I've been trying to figure out the inputs since last summer and smooth wind really helped.

Inland wind is probably okay if you already have your tricks mastered but learning is tough.

Bob D.
Geoffrey Platt

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2009, 06:53 AM »

Been there done that....Anyone remember the shots we took of Mark Reed from Prism.. flying his little 3D in the "BALL ROOM" of the Boeing Transonic Wind Tunnel. A bunch of us fluttermodel makers were also avid kite flyers. During these times...we always had a Prism 3D near at hand for a quickie "kite fix Wink

Between test runs...the tunnel complex keeps air flowing at about 2 mph  (just to help keep the windtunnel's temp. under control...as well as to help remove some of the toxic residue from some of the smoke that was used to photograph air flow patterns..etc. However it was quite easy to adjust that speed quickly.

During one of these calibration tests...Our Boeing photographer shot photos of Mark's pre-Illusion test bed kite, with neon tuffs attached...as it sat in the main test chamber where it was mounted on a sting fixture.

We  later obtained a photo release from Boeing Corp. so that Mark could use those wind tunnel photos in some of his first ON LINE websites.

Fortunately for all of us kite-krazies...Mark was often our guest during these "wind tunnel maintence down times...and we would met him at the Gate 18 and provide him with our guest badges.

Another great place to fly at Boeing was inside at the Delivery center bldg. during 2nd shift down times...
The huge hanger doors would be open to expell the hot air from the building. Even though the wind would often be calm outside...just the warm air escaping would  provide plenty of steady air for Mark and the rest of us to fly our Prism Vapors and light wind kites.

I have photos that I saved of those fun "down times" of our kite sessions...on my old Micron 166 computer out in the garage.
In the near future...it would be fun to go through them again.
Mark still has many of the old photos also from those krazy daze at the Boeing wind tunnel.

I'll shoot off an E mail...and see if he can share them with us.
Here is a shot where we flew my old Goodwind Flashlight on short lines.

That is Awesome! Now that is employee perks Smiley

Geoffrey Platt
Orlando, FL
ko

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2009, 09:11 AM »

my wind tunnel also my backyard  webshots
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 09:13 AM by ko » Logged

have fun kurt
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document