GWTW Forum
September 15, 2014, 02:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: In Land flying vs shore line flying  (Read 3355 times)
Geoffrey Platt
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2009, 09:18 AM »

Gotta love California. I'll be out in Long Beach Aug 30th till Sept the 1st, then again from Sept 28th till October 5th. I'd love to fly if anyone lives close to there!

Geoffrey Platt
Orlando, FL
ko

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2009, 09:41 AM »

let me know i have lived around hermosa for 57 yrs so i have a little local knowledge L.B is 20 min.away

have fun kurt
ko

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2009, 09:57 AM »

it is a shame we only have about 12 miles of it and 1 other flyer that i know

have fun kurt
Sketch
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2009, 10:49 AM »

my wind tunnel also my backyard  webshots

TALK ABOUT ENVUS!!! WOW!
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2009, 12:06 PM »

It's SO bizarre how few flyers there are in Southern California. You'd think, given the beaches and the weather (not to mention lots of decent inland flying), it would be the kite capitol of the world.

A very harsh reflection of the state of kiting in general.

Allen, AKA kitehead
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2009, 12:18 AM »

Back in the day it was a hotbed of activity wasn't it? Top of the Line, Action, Rainbow, Skynasaur, Hyperkites, Revolution and others all came out of that area didn't they? The contingent from So Cal attending WSIKF during the early 1990's almost rivaled the north western attendance, certainly in the competitions.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Sketch

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2009, 10:32 AM »

True.
In another post....I asked if any one knew how Fred and Darlene Fredricks were doing.
Not one soul...I think remembers either one of these gifted folks who started up their own kite mfg and sold thousands of kites to the masses...
(who at the time couldn't afford the lofty priced Califorina Spin Offs and other kites that were price pretty much out of so many of the folks who were pretty badly bitten by the kiting bug with their little Trlby's.
In those days...so many of the expensive kites mfgs...often given some pretty harse comments about  Fred and Darlene making some pretty good flying "copy-kittys" that actually started a passion for kiting.
Many of those addicted flyers today are still flying kites....and paying big bucks...that would make one of those fancy TOP Team kites seem like pocket pennies by todays standard?
Hummm?
Sorry for kidnapping this post with a history lesson.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 10:34 AM by Sketch » Logged
Untitled

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2009, 12:01 PM »

There is a kite festival at Seal Beach oct 4th.  Pretty close to Long Beach.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document