GWTW Forum
July 31, 2014, 04:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Moonie tape  (Read 1525 times)
Michel
Trade Count: (+11)

« on: February 08, 2013, 04:58 AM »

Hi all,

To protect the sail that could be damaged between the Upper spreader and the spine, some kitefliers recommand to use “Moonie tape”.

But is this product really better than :

- Dacron Tape (Insigna)
- Adhesive Ripstop Nylon/spinnaker Tape
- Adhesive Mylar Tape

If yes, why ?

Thanks in advance.
Tmadz
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 05:27 AM »

...and for those of us who are new to repair, technically what is "moonie" tape?
Michel
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 05:56 AM »

=> here.
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 07:57 AM »

I wouldn't say it's better then any of the others, it's another option that's available. It is more durable then standard ripstop repair tape.

It's called "Moonie Tape" because Ken McNeil of Blue Moon Kites used it on his kites, I don't know if he was the first to use it. I always wondered if Ken enjoyed thumbing through the Thomas Register   Cheesy  *, he seems very knowledgeable about products available to industry.

* If you've ever seen or delivered  the Thomas Register you'll understand
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 08:06 AM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 08:49 AM »

“Moonie tape”.

But is this product really better than :

- Dacron Tape (Insigna)
- Adhesive Ripstop Nylon/spinnaker Tape
- Adhesive Mylar Tape

The hard plastic (Moonie) tape is very low friction compared to cloth tapes. Unless the adhesive gives way sooner than other tapes, it's a better rub patch. I don't know about mylar tape.

On some kites a cloth patch looks better, but that's a matter of esthetics.

Allen, AKA kitehead
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 09:39 AM »

I always wondered if Ken enjoyed thumbing through the Thomas Register   Cheesy  *, he seems very knowledgeable about products available to industry.

* If you've ever seen or delivered  the Thomas Register you'll understand

Not sure about Thomas Register, but I know there were a couple of esoteric parts supply companies he enjoyed thumbing through to look for ideas/sources for new fittings and such.   Believe the was on-again/off-again mulling over a suitable a fitting/connector for the "McStar" before BMK closed it's doors.

ATB,
Sam
JayDee

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 08:11 PM »

I have also used it to build up spars that are a tad too skinny for a fitting.  Other tape I have tried for this job wears off faster than you can replace it.  If I remember correctly, I first saw it used for this purpose on the US of my first Talon.  So Mark may be who deserves the credit.

Used on LSs, as suggested on the store page that Michel linked to, Moonie Tape is not only only effective reducing bridle wear.  For a lazy guy like me, who attempts a dead launch or two first rather than walking the walk of shame, the frequency of breakage is reduced quite a bit, too.  That is why I applied it to the LSs on all my frequent fliers.   Cool

Frequent Fliers: Talon Std, UL and Vtd, Widow Maker Std and UL, Solus Std, Widow (modded), ATM SUL, Duende Std
Rarely flown: Exile UL, Zephyr, E2, Ozone, Micron, Quantum
coogee

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 09:31 PM »

It is a bugger to get the backing off!
  Mike
Jest_of_Eve

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2013, 05:10 AM »

Mike

Tip of a scalpal blade = success!  Smiley

http://www.jestofevekites.com
http://www.justin.tv/jest_of_eve

The Talon colourizer will increase your sex-drive and save the world from climate change and pixies!
coogee

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2013, 12:33 PM »

I would need band aids as well
 Mike
dayhiker

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2013, 08:20 PM »

There are some excellent tapes of this type available from industrial supply vendors.  I am a buyer for a manufacturing plant & had no trouble finding several choices with variables of width, thickness, adhesive, length of roll, black or clear.  They are pricey but seem to be the answer for various repairs.  The kite vendors selling Moonie tape by the foot are not actually charging too much & I do recommend we support our kite stores.   This type of tape, made from ultra-high molecular weight polyethylene, is the same material used to make  our Spectra flying lines.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 04:17 AM by dayhiker » Logged

"Well him & my uncle tore that engine down
 I still remember that rumblin' sound"   Steve Earle

AKA member
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2013, 09:44 PM »

Mike

Tip of a scalpal blade = success!  Smiley
A sewing needle works very well and the resulting injuries bleed much less than a sharp blade Grin

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document