GWTW Forum
September 16, 2014, 12:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: sewing curved hem..help  (Read 1525 times)
bplant
Trade Count: (+3)

« on: February 10, 2013, 09:18 PM »

How do you handle the material when sewing curved hem?  I am trying  to hem a leading edge with a spar pocket.  What do you do?
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 09:25 PM »

What type of kite?  Are you folding the edges over or using a separate LE piece? Curved hems are tricky depending on how you are doing it
KennyB
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 10:02 PM »

I have yet to sew on ripstop nylon but its been my experience in sewing curved hems to go real slow to keep everything lined up. like as slow as possible.
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 03:49 AM »

yeah....i take it slow with these....if the foldover section is wide enough and actively fighting being put into its place then i would use some double sided tape to hold it in place....

you can also use scotch tape to hold the folded over layer over...just sew right over it and then it is super easy to remove....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Doug S
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 06:06 AM »

I hold the sail material in place with 1 in. wide Scotch blue masking tape.  Use the regular blue masking tape and not the low stick type.  Cut off lengths about 2.5 in. long, and then fold over about 0.25 in. at the end so you can remove the tape.  I line up the cut pieces of tape on the edge of my glass cutting table, which I first clean with rubbing alcohol then wipe dry with a paper towel.

To hold the sail material, space the tape about 6 in. apart on straight sections and closer together on the curved sections.  For leading edges, I tape both the front and back sides at the same location.  Begin sewing, and then remove each piece of tape once are close with the stitching.  For smaller projects, I cut the 1 in. wide blue masking tape into widths of 0.25 to 0.5 inches.

In challenging areas, I just sew through the tape, then lay a steel straight edge along the stitching and carefully rip the tape along the stitching, and remove it from the sail material.

Doug

"We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public."
bplant

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 11:35 AM »

Great,   thanks for the info.  I will report back if I have great results.
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 11:44 AM »

bplant where are you located? there might be a local forum member who might be able to help.

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
bplant

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 05:22 PM »

I am in Seattle.  I will see if I can talk to some one local.   Thanks for the suggestion.
sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 06:40 PM »

Check your messages... I'm also in seattle and could probably help you out.
madhabitz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2013, 11:09 AM »

For outside curves, you can cut tiny nicks along the edges. For inside (concave) curves, cut out tiny notches to remove excess fabric. Slow was good advice- slow and don't stretch things out too much. Ease it in as you go. If you have to stop and lift the presser foot, make sure to stop with the  needle in the down position before lifting the foot.

Fun stuff!

Nancy

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
madhabitz

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2013, 11:37 AM »

I was pretty new to sewing curved hems when I made the NiBan kite, but by the end of it, I'd got the hang of it. It's all double-folded hem.

Gorgeous!

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
KennyB
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2013, 04:19 PM »

Thats Sweet, I like the NiBan..are plans available for it?
donaldrke
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2013, 09:14 AM »

would love some plans also. Looking for a new project.

Member of Got Wind?
Donald
Doug S
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2013, 02:23 PM »

The following picture shows how I use the blue masking tape to hold the hem.  This hem is a single fold for my Rapere Canard kite.  I have used the blue masking tape technique on larger kites, such as my stunt kites, which have a double fold hem with a leach line.

Doug

[attachment deleted by admin]

"We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public."
madhabitz

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2013, 04:25 PM »

Doug, for what it's worth, you can get rolls of 1/4" masking tape at your local quilt shop. It's sticky enough to do what you are doing, but not too sticky. Save you the work of cutting all those nice'n neat pieces.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document