GWTW Forum
September 20, 2014, 07:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Into The Wind catalog....Nineteen Ninety One!!!  (Read 2450 times)
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« on: February 11, 2013, 08:50 AM »

Just wanted to put it out here that I just uploaded a pdf of the 1991 ITW catalog.   It is pretty cool to see this (at least to me) information, pricing, options, items etc...
check it out:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B99xI23kLbjENlVmT01HWlAzdTg/edit?usp=sharing

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Smeagol
Trade Count: (+79)

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 10:28 AM »

That's awesome!  This reminds me I have a pile of these from the early 90's somewhere in a box.  I'll need to find them!
thief
Board Moderator

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 10:40 AM »

find them!!!!   i have a bunch more to do.....

Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 11:20 AM »

1991 ITW catalog. 

Cool!

Kinda makes you realize how little things have changed in 22 years.

Allen, AKA kitehead
thief
Board Moderator

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 11:43 AM »

oh yeah!!!!!!!
This catalog is from before my time in kites....i might have found it listed in the back of a magazine and requested it but was not into the kite world yet....but i do have a bunch of them so will scan more in....only took about 20 minutes so not too bad...and since my guys are not fishing right now i am just sitting around the office Wink

mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 12:30 PM »

Mike (KiteKing) was working on permission to scan and post his collection, guess it never came to fruition. Thanks, there was a wealth of information in those as well as nostalgia for all those kites I dreamed about back then.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 02:06 PM »

I come across some of my old ones from time to time, but I don't think I have that one. What amazes me are the prices, they haven't changed too much in the last two decades. I used to drool over those duallies, but couldn't afford them back then.
The amount of interesting kites is also impressive, I'm hoping the 2013 catalog exceeds expectations of recent years...

thief
Board Moderator

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 02:40 PM »

yeah..this catalog had 70 pages....
the 2012 catalog had 47
the 2011 had 63 pages....
i agree that it will be VERY interesting to see what is in the next one...

Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 02:46 PM »

I thought they stopped printing a catalog a few years ago.

Allen, AKA kitehead
thief
Board Moderator

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 02:58 PM »

no..they did however apparently wipe out their mailing list...i had to resign up for it.....

RobB

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2013, 03:16 PM »

The last couple of years were OK, but there are never enough duallies for me, I would prefer more kites and less flags, banners, spinners, etc. I think the new Manta will be a must have... So sorry I missed getting any real Focus kites, but I'm glad there's something almost as good still available.

Tmadz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2013, 05:08 PM »

2013 catalog is 47 pages. Skate XXL is on the cover. Came today in the mail.
dayhiker
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2013, 07:05 PM »

This is very interesting to say the least.  I still have my original Sky Claw with 150' Kevlar lines, flew them at the beach in August.  I also received a six stack of nylon Trlbys for Christmas 2012.  Great to see them in an old catalog with the description & pricing.  Please do more.  I would like to know more about my Premier Aerosport from back in those days.  Still a great high wind kite.  The hand cut vinyl fittings date it to the early days.  Recently replaced the bungee cords, all else is original, still flying.

[attachment deleted by admin]

"Well him & my uncle tore that engine down
 I still remember that rumblin' sound"   Steve Earle
Texanpilot

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2013, 08:34 PM »

That does bring back memories for me.   I and my family must have looked through that catalog about 100 times

I think that was the oldest I kept  . . . until I got rid of my collection.   Cry

Do you remember which year had Martin Lester's "Legs" kite on the back cover?  That was the first ITW catalog my family got, and we received it every year until about 2002.

On other notes, I found it a bit amusing how the North Shore Radical had "everything", including an all-carbon frame and standoffs.  Is there any hard-framed delta stunt kite that hasn't had standoffs in the past 15 years?

But, the more things change, the more they stay the same.  It is very interesting to see how the various categories of stunt kites have basically kept their price points. 

And yes, I was disappointed with the last few years' catalogs that I received that seemed to become devoted to flags and banners.  Some were pretty, but none were exciting like a stunt (or even fighter) kite.

Steady winds, y'all.
Smeagol
Trade Count: (+79)

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2013, 11:51 PM »

Jackpot!  Well, I guess for once it has paid to be a pack-rat.  So how much free time do you have Rob?  Wink

I found all my catalogs:

Probably 50-60 catalogs, flyers, etc. dating from 1989-1999.  Turned out to be more than I thought.  Grin  I'm going through them right now to see what all is there, but some highlights are ITW 94-99, GWTW 96-97, 96 Prism catalog, 96-98 BFK, 96 Shanti, 94-96 GFAK, 89-94 Windborne, 93/94 Catch the Wind, various Kitty Hawk Kites and many more.  Also found a bunch of old AKA stuff including some books and Kiting magazine 94-96.  I'll have to take these with me tomorrow and put them into an Excel spreadsheet.  There's quite a few!

Now that I see all these again it really brings back the memories.  I recall I had this weird impulse to get as many kite catalogs as possible back then.  Sure I was a broke-a** kid and couldn't afford many of the kites, but it was still fun to collect the catalogs.

-Mike
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 02:06 AM by Smeagol » Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document