GWTW Forum
August 29, 2014, 05:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Into The Wind catalog....Nineteen Ninety One!!!  (Read 2369 times)
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2013, 03:29 AM »

oh boy Mike!!!!!!!!!
I have time!!!!and a scanner and am not afraid to use them (or would this be abuse of the scanner?)

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
thief
Board Moderator

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2013, 06:39 AM »

and......
here is the 2003 one.....
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B99xI23kLbjEZTJjYnlxdWR2WFE/edit?usp=sharing

madhabitz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2013, 10:52 AM »

Like so many businesses, most of their catalog is online now. I like the paper catalog too, but am afraid that like newspapers they are close to being goners.

Nancy

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2013, 12:12 PM »

'98 was my first ITW catalog. One more reason to be the stoked newbie I was.  Smiley

Allen, AKA kitehead
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2013, 01:59 PM »

I know i had the 2003 one. I know i had more that went back a few more years too. I wonder what became of them

Sine Metu!
kiteking
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2013, 02:56 AM »

Mike (KiteKing) was working on permission to scan and post his collection, guess it never came to fruition.

Well I haven't given up completely, life, moving, spending the days walking on the beach, have just gotten in the way.

I was trying a few different ways to present the past catalogs.

Here is the 1981 (their first) catalog

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

thief
Board Moderator

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2013, 04:57 AM »

my favorite thing in that catalog is the "kite tube"...a 4 1/2" cardboard tube that you slip over your arm to wrap kite line on..............
it is amazing to see how long some of the kites were around for...i had no clue that Skyscraper was that old!!!!

Doc Z

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2013, 09:36 AM »

I just got the 2013 as well.  I was telling my roommate yesterday that getting the new ITW catalog used to be one of my favorite days of the year.  It's kind of lost its luster with the Internet now, though.  There definitely used to have a lot more sport kites back then (1996 or so).  I remember spending long nights working at the gas station in high school, comparing the kite stats/prices on homemade charts, trying to determine which was the 'best' one to save up for.
oldflyer
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2013, 01:15 PM »

Like Doc Z, getting the ITW catalogue used to be one of my favourite days of the winter!

I have them from 1989. That's the one that had Martin Lester's legs on the back page.
kiteking

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2013, 08:46 PM »

I have them from 1989. That's the one that had Martin Lester's legs on the back page.

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

zippy8
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2013, 01:38 PM »

The catalogues from 1995, 1996 and 2007 are on my Google Drive. Mostly.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2013, 02:43 PM »

What a difference a decade makes... put that '96 catalog next to the '07 catalog. Can we say 'decline' ? I hope the late '00s were the bottom, and we're on the way back up again.   Shocked

zippy8
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2013, 03:04 PM »

I consider 2005 to be the peak of dualline kite activity, interest and achievement, followed by a steep decline and a period of wheel spinning (where we are now). There are years before that with plenty going on but more noise and dead ends too.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2013, 05:24 PM »

I consider 2005 to be the peak of dualline kite activity, interest and achievement, followed by a steep decline and a period of wheel spinning (where we are now). There are years before that with plenty going on but more noise and dead ends too.

Mike.
True... most of the kites I fly were designed around '05 (or before), except for the Seven. I've got a bunch of newer kites that I didn't like, and don't fly.

mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2013, 08:07 AM »

Mike (KiteKing) was working on permission to scan and post his collection, guess it never came to fruition.

Well I haven't given up completely, life, moving, spending the days walking on the beach, have just gotten in the way.

I was trying a few different ways to present the past catalogs.

Here is the 1981 (their first) catalog

Thanks Mike, although I never thought I would hear myself say this but a .pdf would be nice, I like to archive myself too. Not easy to download and view a flash presentation.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document