GWTW Forum
October 24, 2014, 02:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Quality of lines  (Read 1416 times)
WestAustralian
Trade Count: (0)

« on: February 12, 2013, 09:37 PM »

Hi Guys, I have a bunch of Prism 50# x 50' lines from Dualies.

I am considering converting 2 sets into a Quad set.
I will make sure a 4 lines are the same length. uneven stretch between sets is not an issue as I have 2 unused sets.

My worry is that Prism line (although great stuff) is not as "Slick" as my Laser Pro Quad sets.

Is the Prism stuff going to be good enough for Quadding?
On My B Series STD in Very Light Wind....
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 11:53 PM »

Should be fine as long as your flying in 5 mph or less. Depending on which prism kites those sets came from they should be LPG anyway and will be pretty slick.  All but the most recent low end prisms came with LPG or shanti speed line.  IIRC all prisms Spectra line sets are LPG since around 2000 at least.  YOur biggest concern will be line breakage and  on a rev B that will be around 5-6 mph.
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 06:12 AM »

YOur biggest concern will be line breakage and  on a rev B that will be around 5-6 mph.

I'm not sure why 5mph or less. There is almost no pull in that speed of wind. I don't see why 50lbs lines would not be good up to around 10mph winds on a quad. I flew 50lbs lines all the time and never had an issue. I now fly only 80lbs lines and been out in 15-20mph windows.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
trigger

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 11:22 AM »

do you have a wind meter? I fnd 9-12mph is a bit strong for my std.  Usually pull my full vent out with no movement to fly.  I am still new but what I thought was 15-20 is only about 10-12mph.  I guess your field plays a roll too. if it is wide open the wind seems faster than it is, if there are obstructions then the turbulence may "take the wind out of your sail"

WestAustralian

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 05:42 PM »

Thanks for all your comment guys.

The Prism lines I have, are kinda bumpy to the touch. The Braid/twist is noticable.
The Larse Pro's are more smooth.

I might give them a go and see what happens.

I want to use 50# when the wind is consistantly below 4mph, above that I can easily keep the STD in the air.
Ca Ike

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 06:36 PM »

The Prism lines I have, are kinda bumpy to the touch. The Braid/twist is noticable.

I want to use 50# when the wind is consistantly below 4mph, above that I can easily keep the STD in the air.
YOu have to remember there is Laser pro and laser pro gold.  Rev stock linesets are laser pro gold, PRisms line sets are laser pro which is still good line just not the same braid quality as the gold. I've just gotten used to calling them LPG being that years ago it was laser pro gold and laser pro comp was the higher line.
WestAustralian

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 08:00 PM »

YOu have to remember there is Laser pro and laser pro gold.  Rev stock linesets are laser pro gold, PRisms line sets are laser pro which is still good line just not the same braid quality as the gold. I've just gotten used to calling them LPG being that years ago it was laser pro gold and laser pro comp was the higher line.

Oh Ok. So is the Non-Gold good enough?
I do not want my lines gettin grippy when I have so little sail pressure anyway
Ca Ike

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 09:30 PM »

It will be fine for at least 10 wraps before it starts getting gritty.  Every prism set I have had from their kites has been slick enough to handle 15-20 wraps before any significant binding is felt and I've flown prisms for a LOOOONNNNG time.  The only issue with the 50# is creep over flight time. It can stretch up to 2 inches as the braid is pulled tight from flying so plan on checking the lines several times over the first 100 hours of flight.  It may feel gritty on first flight but all LPG line has a break in time of a few flights then becomes really slick.  Not sure why but it has to do with the coating on the line.
dayhiker

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2013, 05:30 PM »

I too have extra Prism 50# x 50' sets from Microns I'm stacking.  I did not hesitate to make a quad set to try with my 1.5 standard in light wind.  I have flown Revs only five times so far.  Short lines are a challenge for me but worked out just fine.  I wrapped the lines at least seven revolutions.  Measured wind of 3 to 5 was doable using the 3 wrap rods.  Wind picked up to 9 with some gusts & still no problems.  My recent first flight of my new Power Blast 2-4 was on 90# x 80' LPG lines with no issues, standard for that wing is 150# lines.  Being new to Revs I am not being easy on the lines.  After the Power Blast my arms were a bit tired & my cheeks were sore from smiling.

"Well him & my uncle tore that engine down
 I still remember that rumblin' sound"   Steve Earle
WestAustralian

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2013, 08:52 PM »

Thanks for the Info Dayhiker.
Sounds like you have been having a blast too.

Keep Flying Quad
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change