GWTW Forum
July 22, 2014, 06:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: De-ice those wings before take-off!  (Read 1469 times)
JayDee
Trade Count: (0)

« on: February 16, 2013, 09:29 PM »

I recently relocated from NorCal to Nova Scotia.  Among a thing or two I had to get used to was a lesson in beach flying with my Talon at a sunny minus 15 degress -- Celsius, that is here in Canada.

Beach flying in California used to go like this, even in late January:  Surf permitting, you fly your kite into the sea.  It gets heavier, more sluggish and develops some oversteer.  As you keep flying, the water shakes off and evaporates, and after while the flying behavior is back to normal.  The Talon is pretty forgiving when wet anyway.  Fly it in the water again and repeat.

Not so in icy Nova Scotia temperatures:  You land the kite in the water, it gets heavier, more sluggish, develops oversteer.  And it stays that way.  You fly it in the water again, it gets even more unwieldy -- and stays that way.  Until, after a while, you can barely fly it anymore.

Closer investigation reveals what is not surprising in hindsight: Severe icing on the wings.  Sand baked in with the ice adds even more weight.  And back home at night you realize that that garden hose is not connected (not surprising in hindsight), and it occurs to you that the kite, meanwhile thawed, not only caused a major mess in the trunk (not surprising in hindsight either), but is going to do the same in route to the bath tub.  So more preparation next time, please!

Other than that, and given warm enough clothing, flying in wintry conditions can be _a lot_ of fun:

Frequent Fliers: Talon Std, UL and Vtd, Widow Maker Std and UL, Solus Std, Widow (modded), ATM SUL, Duende Std
Rarely flown: Exile UL, Zephyr, E2, Ozone, Micron, Quantum
trigger

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 10:37 PM »

Beautiful Pics/kites!!!  well these are not close to breathtaking and I would have felt better if they were from my Phone camera,,

but here I am this evening after work in 18 degrees F.

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/535622_545253288830381_1530581849_n.jpg

RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 12:54 AM »

Love those cold kite pics. Especially like that they let you park on the beach there... That is truly a first class flying beach you've got !

tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 01:20 AM »

I think that's my new favorite widow maker!   Cool design on your kites.

Tom

6 kite tom
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 01:49 AM »

Nice pictures!
Interesting "two kites in one" layouts.
This way you don't have to decide which one to fly  Cheesy
A bit schizophrenic though...  Wink 
"not surprising in hindsight either"  Roll Eyes

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 08:03 AM »

looking great. Would love to fly there!

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
JayDee

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 01:02 PM »

Thanks for the kudos on the color scheme.  Part of the honor goes to Kris, my wife, and to Ken McNeill.  An Exile UL was my first kite in these colors, and they both honed my initial, somewhat clumsy drafts.  The schizophrenia was not so much in what kite to fly, but what color scheme to buy.

Huh Too bad I never really clicked with the Exile, as it is one top-notch kite.  Haven't flown it in a while, and I have made a bit of progress lately.  So maybe I should give it another try.

The most recent iteration of those colors will be a Solus, which I ordered the other day.  Almost those colors, that is, as the grape fabric has run out.  Hope that purple will work, too.

That beach _is_ a great place to fly -- most of the time.  I realized once more that I have been in marketing for too long:  The picture shows the best possible situation.  This was taken at low tide during a full moon.  Six hours later, the water would have covered virtually everything that is free of snow.  So the beach is much narrower a lot of the time.

Checking the tide tables in addition to the wind forecast is another one of those things I have had to get used to.  And that _was_ quite unexpected, even in hindsight.  Wink

Frequent Fliers: Talon Std, UL and Vtd, Widow Maker Std and UL, Solus Std, Widow (modded), ATM SUL, Duende Std
JayDee

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 07:25 PM »

An Exile UL was my first kite in these colors [...].  The schizophrenia was not so much in what kite to fly, but what color scheme to buy.

Here she is:

Huh Too bad I never really clicked with the Exile, as it is one top-notch kite.  Haven't flown it in a while, and I have made a bit of progress lately.  So maybe I should give it another try.

And that is what I did today.  The Exile is still a stunning beauty, but still we don't click.  Sad

Thanks to some progress in my flying skills, I can now get the kite to do things it did not do for me before.  But most of the moves don't come easy.  You feel that the Exile is a top-level kite, but we just don't speak the same language.  Reminded me a bit of some of those situations with my wife, when every single step requires a lengthy discussion.  Cool Lips sealed Wink

It's a shame!

I will try again in a while.  Hope dies last.

whitebirdlover
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2013, 07:09 PM »

So now that the icy chills of winter are easing, you'll get some more air time with that Exile UL...
She's a looker  Wink

Anthony
alien

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2013, 07:45 AM »

HOT KITES-COLD CLIMATE.
Great pics JayDee,we are in the grip of winter over here but i aint gona whine no more after that tale.
What if you crack a sail? FROST BITE!
 Grin your days are getting longer.
Man those kites are so goooood looooking  Tongue
Loved the story,thanks   Smiley
Is that good looking wagon 4x4 or is the sand rock hard(frozen)?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 07:58 AM by alien » Logged
JayDee

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2013, 08:50 PM »

So now that the icy chills of winter are easing, you'll get some more air time with that Exile UL...
She's a looker  Wink

I'll give her another chance.  That's for sure!

Man those kites are so goooood looooking  Tongue
Loved the story,thanks   Smiley

Thanks.  Glad you like the kites and the story.

Is that good looking wagon 4x4 or is the sand rock hard(frozen)?

Yes and yes.  The beach is hard enough for any car to drive on, even if the sand is not frozen.  Still, it is a 4WD.  Always appeared like overkill to me while I lived in California, but actually came in quite handy a couple times last winter.  Cheesy  Considering the amount of road salt they use in Nova Scotia, the poor thing won't be quite that good looking for very much longer, though.  Sad Sad Sad

alien

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2013, 07:44 AM »

Ze Germanz unt build,ein imperviuos saltine!

« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 07:48 AM by alien » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document