GWTW Forum
October 24, 2014, 12:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: bit of fun with the zero G  (Read 1482 times)
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« on: February 17, 2013, 06:18 PM »

Now that I have all the tuning nuances learned, I took some time to have a bit of fun and go beyond the nice simple glides. For those that say this kite or Ceewans original plutz can't be ground launched, just watch.  It took a bit of practice but ground launching is quite easy once you get the hang of it. Here's a vid for your enjoyment.

Zero G on Vimeo
kepople
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 08:10 PM »

Very nice. I cant keep mine in the air yet more than a few seconds ona pull
Ca Ike

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 09:39 PM »

Good tuning helps.  Like someone else said, its best to tune it without the line on it to get the glide right then attach the line.  You also get a feel for the toss to get a good start off.

Some basics I can tell you is on the nose, its the factory mark +/- 3/4 inch adjustment range.  On the red canard line there are two black marks for the adjustment limits but you can go past the lower mark until both knots touch and be fine.  On the bridle, for gliding stay mid to nose and for staked out go tail end of the range.

To tune set the nose first, then go through the range of adjustment on the canard line.  Toss by hand without the flying line attached.  For good long glides you want it to fly flat and land touching about where the rear wing meets the frame in the middle.  For more active you want it to glide slightly nose high and touch down almost on the center T.  I have mine set for a balance of those two.  Maybe I'll do a how to vid one of these days.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 09:58 PM by Ca Ike » Logged
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 09:43 PM »

Really nice, Anthony. This video, along with Steve's a few months back has convinced me to finally go out and get one of these. I figured my GW mini glider was the only kite like this that I needed, but you guys have shown me proof that I was wrong. I do seem to need another glider....

Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 04:11 PM »

Thanks Anthony!
I still haven't got our nose adjustment fixed. (Prism says they'll back me up on it)
I would really look forward to a 'how to vid'.  With what little flight time we have on ours, I know there is a lot more that it will do, that I have not yet explored.

Jim

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
vertigo2u
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 10:11 AM »

Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink

Anthony .... nice flying and good music... Really enjoyed watching you fly her. 

JT has built a new Zero-G. He and Wayne built a couple over the past summer.  They are nice flyers.  Wind or no wind.

The new one JT built last month may be going to Kite Party ... 

The Kite is HUGE .... He did some amazing things with it. I'll get some photos this week from him...

I am sure the wing is over ten feet ... Anyone who loves flying these Zero-G's are in for a Big Treat ... 

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
Baby "Zoomer". Symphony 1.8 para foil...
chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 10:33 AM »

I did enjoy the video.

And thanks for showing what a kite can be trained to do.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Ca Ike

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 06:23 PM »

Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink

Anthony .... nice flying and good music... Really enjoyed watching you fly her. 

JT has built a new Zero-G. He and Wayne built a couple over the past summer.  They are nice flyers.  Wind or no wind.

The new one JT built last month may be going to Kite Party ... 

The Kite is HUGE .... He did some amazing things with it. I'll get some photos this week from him...

I am sure the wing is over ten feet ... Anyone who loves flying these Zero-G's are in for a Big Treat ... 

I've seen the kite Joe and its a beauty but we better not let too much more out of the bag until Jon decides what he's going to do with it.  I was asked not to spread the info around or the pics I have of it. I will say though that its nothing like the Zero G or plutz except for the basic idea of a canard type kite and that will have to do until Jon gives the word.
Ca Ike

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2013, 06:25 PM »

I did enjoy the video.

And thanks for showing what a kite can be trained to do.  Smiley
  Shocked A compliment from the Godfather!!!!  My life is now complete Tongue  Thanks John
chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2013, 06:53 PM »

Am I that stingy with compliments?  Smiley

RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2013, 07:22 PM »

No, but what you do say means a lot. You are, after all, a rockstar in the kiting world.  Smiley

Ca Ike

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2013, 07:30 PM »

No, I just couldn't pass up a bit of friendly teasing Smiley
chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2013, 10:54 PM »

Even rockstars are human. Particularly us Woodstock era ones.

My mom and dad would take us over to my Grandparents' house on

Sunday night to watch Ed Sullivan because they had one of those

televisions we had heard about. And yes, that is the TV I use to

watch in the early 50s.

And those are my mom's parents (Nanu and Nana).

She use to make fresh bread that was so good we would burn our

lips to eat it straight from the oven with a little butter.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 11:06 PM by chilese » Logged

thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2013, 04:23 AM »

Ca Ike you need to build a Ginga (or find someone to do for you)...watching your flying there you would really enjoy it!
Ginga flight Aug 2011

designed by Christophe Tournay (who is flying in this video as well)..
you get great curves because the spine is highly curved and the spreaders are also curved back as well....then having the spreader being made out of fiberglas in the center and carbon allows the wings to bend backwards very easily...
it is designed as an outdoor kite....you can fly it inside but it excels outside with more life in it.

current version of the plan over on Windswept kites (the plan has been updated 3 times over its span to improve it)...

Here is a blog post -not by me on it: http://b-kites.blogspot.com/2009/10/ginga.html
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 04:26 AM by thief » Logged

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
vertigo2u

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2013, 09:57 AM »

Cheesy Cheesy Grin Grin Grin Grin

You saw her !!! She is sweet. 

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
Baby "Zoomer". Symphony 1.8 para foil...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change