New Project 2013, Lilith
(1/7) > >>
KiteChemist:
This is a small video prewiev of an early version for Lilith, a freestyle kite i'm designing.

This kite has 235cm wingspan, 94 cm height, huge windrange and interesting trick performance.
The version of the video actually is a bit different (faster yoyo's, better and stupid easy taz machines, better jacob's ladders and better backspins)

Lilith second test.

Enjoy!
Ca Ike:
Looks promising.  I see a bit of imbalance in the backflip and a few other quirks but it can be the low wind causing some of it or too much wing in the kite set up.  Hard to tell from the vid partly due to the sun but keep it up and keep us updated.
KiteChemist:
Actually I moved a bit the standoffs to change the trailing edge shape, moved the center t upwards and increased the tail weight to 22g. This solved pretty much the small defects it had in the early version. Anyway the wind in the video was very unconstant (both in direction and speed) so the backflip was a bit problematic during the wind pauses. More videos to come, I hope that the weather will be better in the next days.
Ca Ike:
OUch that a lot of tail weight IMO.  If you have to go over 15g tail weight on a std then I suggest you take a new look at the framing.  Whenever I work on tuning a kite I don't add any tail weight at all.  Most things tail weight does can be done by bridle settings, standoff positions and frame specs. ONce you get the kite flying and tricking well without weight then you can add weight to enhance some tricks.  The way your kite lays over in the backflip suggests an issue in the upper half of the kite either in the bridle or frame specs. If you can send me some good pics of the kite I might be able to make some suggestions to help but first off I'd take out all tail weight and just fly it around and see how stable flight is.

IF it doesn't backslide smoothly, downwind glide without rolling up, have good drive when you pump it or has oscilation (shuddering) when you go through the middle of the window then you have some dynamic instability issues to work out and no amount of tail weight will fix those.  One easy one to look for is where the nose goes when  you axel.  Even with all the tail weight it looks like your kite likes to go tail high in any flat spin trick and hang a bit nose low in a fade. Just using too heavy of an upper spreader can cause all that.

BUilding the kite is the easy part.  Fine tuning is where the real work and learning comes in.  YOu'd be amazed at how much of a difference something as seemingly insignificant as 3mm difference in standoff length can make. 
KaoS:
Quote from: Ca Ike on February 21, 2013, 04:20 PM

OUch that a lot of tail weight IMO.  If you have to go over 15g tail weight on a std then I suggest you take a new look at the framing. 

I totally disagree.  There are plenty of excellent modern kites with that amount of tail weight or more.  R-Sky NSE has 18 grams, the smallest Q-Pro weight is 20 grams (okay, so nobody uses the 40 or 60 gram ones), Will Sturdy's Sabre II has 34 grams.

Tail weights aren't there to mask frame weight distribution, they are there to tune it.  Sure you could spend weeks and heaps of dollars trying out frame sets, but you can achieve exactly the same MUCH quicker, MUCH cheaper and just as effectively by putting a bit of weight here and there.

The one thing I would suggest, don't limit yourself to just throwing weight at the tail.  Wingtip weight and weight closer to the T-piece can produce good results in some kites
Navigation
Message Index
Next page