UL/SUL suggestion for unsteady winds

(1/6) > >>

Tmadz:
I am beginning a new business venture that is going to require lots of time, but I have a couple of parks very close that I can run to for some needed sanity time. The problem is they are ringed by trees, so I don't expect to have any clean winds.  As a result, I am looking for a UL/SUL to fly most of the time that will be tolerant of those reduced winds. I gather that's an oxymoron. I searched the forum and heard great things about the Shadow, but also was possibly interested in the Ocius. I'm currently saving up for a WM std. Am I barking up the wrong tree?

Hadge:
The Shadow is a great kite, although it is sold as a UL it is virtually a SUL as it will fly from a little above 1mph and go up to around 8mph before it starts to feel uncomfortable.  It's pretty tough too, I've had mine 3 years and only broken one LLE - it split at the ferrule and I didn't even notice until I packed up! Most tricks are in there with only one pop yoyo's being difficult, beautiful 540's and it's a backspin monster!!

The downside is that some folks find it very twitchy straight from the bag, it only needs very small inputs and can oversteer a lot, also as the bridle is tied from unsleeved dyneema line the knots have a habit of slipping.  The good news is that Norm P has developed a bridle that removes almost all of the oversteer without effecting the trick capability and makes it a much nicer kite to fly.

You will struggle to find a better, trickier UL/SUL for the money - better kites are out there but at a price.

If any Shadow owners want to try an experiment - I've fitted mine with a P200 spine with a 5gram weight top and bottom and it seems to make it better at flic flacs and lets you do one pop yoyo's.  Yes it is slightly heavier but has more inertia.  It would be interesting to get a second opinion.

RobB:
Well, it's not like any kite is going to excell under those conditions. A single line glider keeps coming to my mind. Being that the Shadow and Ocius are about the same $$$, I would choose the Skyburner product, just because they make a fine kite, American made, and from what I see, it looks more capable than the Shadow. The only edge the Shadow might have would be the design, I love the way my Shadow looks, but you can't get the rainbow pattern anymore.

hawkerhunter:
Hi Tmadz

My advise if you can find one is the Talon UL. This kite flies with similar characteristics as the Talon standard but in lighter winds.

talon by hawkerhunter, on Flickr

It may be more than you want to pay but I cannot praise this kite enough. Marc Clements has said that he considers the Talon UL his best creation. Ive had mine for about 4 months now and it has brought my flying on no end. Everyone should have one of these IMO.

Steve

zippy8:
Quote from: Tmadz on February 22, 2013, 04:38 AM

The problem is they are ringed by trees, so I don't expect to have any clean winds.  As a result, I am looking for a UL/SUL to fly most of the time that will be tolerant of those reduced winds.

If you really are reduced to continually flying in a wind shadow and the turbulence that comes with it then perhaps a smaller kite that you can~will have to pull around would suit you but can also handle some wind and take the inevitable near-ground experiences that come with your flying location.

That'd be one of these then.

Nothing wrong with the other suggestions BTW but they'd probably deserve better wind conditions than you're offering.

Mike.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page