GWTW Forum
September 16, 2014, 04:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: UL/SUL suggestion for unsteady winds  (Read 2873 times)
vertigo2u
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2013, 03:48 PM »

On a couple of my last videos... I am flying in the park behind my home.  As I said once before it's not good in the summer ... Way too many trees and houses on all four sides... Becuase of other places I fly... I take off for good air.

If you watch the videos of me flying my Ocius Sul (red/blk/white).  I am on short lines.  Just doing touch and goes.  Trying to take off and land in the same spot.  Wing tip landings.  540's.  Half axels,axels...etc. I even like to walk the kite across the ground.  Everything I am doing in that Video.  I really never thought I could do.  But I practice very light air.  I love 2/3mph.  I love 5/6 mph.  Give me those numbers and the beach ... "...Forgetta 'bout it...".

I think I posted a video of flying all three in one day... Ul Sul I-Nak.

Land the kite and walk it towards yourself.  I didn't get that till last winter when I landed on the Ice. I was skating.  Then took it to land.  I really enjoy practicing with 60'-75' 50# lines.  The Widow Maker Ul flys very well in 1/2 mph with short lines...

If you got one of the Blue and White Widows.  You got a deal.  JT work his butt to make sure they flew right...

Still Big Difference between Widow and Widow Maker.

Like I said you can try one of Sul's when weather changes in a few weeks.  Rob I already told you..I'd send her. 

I've been talking with Gleb from Russia (lurker)  I thinking about sending my WM to Russia this summer. 

IDEA !!!! Some of us who communicate together need to look in our kite bags... Maybe make up One Bag of everybody's kites.  And Have a Share ... Cost of shipping Huh Cheap ...The only thing needed is Trust.

I'd trust a number of names on the screen.  Grin Grin I started listing peoples names and realized there are a number of people I'd trust with my kites... From  Grin Norm to  Grin Tom P to  Grin Wayne,  try listing people you'd trust in a group of five guys sharing.  Lot of names. Wink Wink Wink  I 'd like to fly a Talon or a Shadow or Laims kites... Prism kites

What do others think ... Undecided Undecided Undecided Undecided

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
Baby "Zoomer". Symphony 1.8 para foil...
goestoeleven
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2013, 04:29 PM »

I like your bag share idea, vertigo2u, although I don't have anything dual line pilots would be interested in flying.  Plus, the bag would have to be small enough to ship reasonably.  Maybe a tube of kites would work as an alternative. 

Hey - isn't sharing part of what kite club meetings are for?  Unfortunately we IKErs don't get together enough, especially in the winter here in Illinois.  Had to shovel snow this morning . . . . . still hoping to get some flight time this weekend.

Listening to you guys talk about all the tricks . . . . makes me want to fly some dual lines again.  Maybe Tmadz can teach me something.  Hey Tmadz - there's an IKE club fly on the 2nd, if you can make it . . .
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2013, 05:34 PM »

There is a difference between low winds and bad wind. A SUL/UL will help in low winds but not a whole lot on bad wind. I don't know of any kite that will really compensate for bad wind. They may help a little but in the end you really need to find a better place to fly.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
dayhiker
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2013, 06:02 PM »

Lots of interesting comments above.  I am the beginner that lives in the Southern mountains with very compromised flying locations locally.  But I have lucked into a used Shadow, have a 4D & fly a Rev Power Blast 2-4 for a light wind quad.  I get to fly five hours a week in cold conditions now.  The main thing I have found out is no matter what kites you have, no matter where you can fly, get some time in the sky.  The kites that are mentioned are all good choices I'm sure.  While I will upgrade to fancier kites eventually I love the ones I have now & they are way more capable than my level of usage.  Had really smooth 6 mph wind today & made progress.  Fly the bad winds, the strong winds, the gusty stuff, try the snow storms & rain too.  Just my thoughts, thanks for being on the forum.

"Well him & my uncle tore that engine down
 I still remember that rumblin' sound"   Steve Earle
trigger

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2013, 08:24 PM »

Goestoeleven, i have something you can try, i may be at the ike gathering if i have the day off. If you do want to try something send me an im...  i can always fly the revs!  I am kind of a double agent of the darkside :-)
goestoeleven

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2013, 12:15 AM »

Hey trigger, good to hear from you.  Hope you can make it to the club fly.  Thanks for the offer.  I think much of the day for me will be team practice, but maybe on one of our breaks . . . I have some dual line kites - they just don't get much flying time compared to the revs.  I still have so much work to get my rev precision where I want it to be that I spend most of my flying time on revs.  That said, I'd like to get some time on duals in before the festival season starts up in earnest.  Not that I'll be good at anything.  It's just that all flying time is good time. 
Tmadz

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2013, 05:43 AM »

I'm gonna try the parks first and see what wind shows up. After that I'll be able to see if wind is too turbulent or non-existent. The tips and suggestions made me think about a couple of things in a different way, but my favorite was to just fly more. While that might be difficult, it's only a few blocks walk with a kite bag and anytime outside is good time. The more I fly the better I'll be able to tell what I might need.

Trig/11, I can't make it to the club fly. Just too much work to do. I will take you guys up on your offers to try your Revs. What could it hurt?
trigger

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2013, 07:08 AM »

tmadz,  if you want to try the 4d for awhile just to see how it reacts i can send it to you.  It probably won't be the kite you choose but will let you fly in your new field and check out the conditions.

let me know

jim
goestoeleven

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2013, 07:52 AM »

Yeah, what trigger said.  Let me know if you want to borrow a rev, too.

When's the business open up?  I'll need to drop by and spend some money . . . many Saturdays I'm up in Wayne for an hour as my daughter has some lessons there, so it's not far (I think) from  your place.
vertigo2u
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2013, 02:47 PM »

Got some nice response to Sahring.  As soon as weather changes with Day Light savings.  I am ready.  Rob we start to fly the Wednesday after day light savings start.  Any time after that.  I'd like to have a couple of your kites for Jon to try also.  And If I crash em' he can fix em '  hehehehehe ... I can package up a WMstd Wm Ul Ocius Sul ....  I will check with Jon this week.  I can have him break em' down. I all for it... Others Huh

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
Baby "Zoomer". Symphony 1.8 para foil...
trigger

« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2013, 05:57 PM »

Cheesy

Gonna have that engraved! 
Wayner
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2013, 07:48 PM »

IDEA !!!! Some of us who communicate together need to look in our kite bags... Maybe make up One Bag of everybody's kites.  And Have a Share ... Cost of shipping Huh Cheap ...The only thing needed is Trust.

I'd trust a number of names on the screen.  Grin Grin I started listing peoples names and realized there are a number of people I'd trust with my kites... From  Grin Norm to  Grin Tom P to  Grin Wayne,  try listing people you'd trust in a group of five guys sharing.  Lot of names. Wink Wink Wink  I 'd like to fly a Talon or a Shadow or Laims kites... Prism kites

What do others think ... Undecided Undecided Undecided Undecided

Sounds interesting  Wink

Tmadz

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2013, 07:45 PM »

I forgot about the freestylist. I think I'll call Jon and talk to him. I try to keep my money as local as possible and American if I can.
Do you have any intentions on buying a HQ Shadow? If not, I have someone that would like to have the Modified Bridle I offered to you. Please let me know. thanks, Norm

Sorry for the late response Norm. Let em have it if you haven't already. I haven't even flown anything yet. It will be a while before I finally figure out what I need. Today the park i am going to fly in is currently underwater after the river over flowed its banks with some heavy storms passing through
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document