GWTW Forum
November 20, 2014, 06:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Greetings from sunny (?!) Barcelona!  (Read 853 times)
Ara Ararauna
Trade Count: (0)

« on: February 23, 2013, 03:50 PM »

Hi,

Today we woke up and our Mediterranean land was covered with snow!  Shocked

The flying field two blocks from home was transformed:  Huh

But then the sun came out and a nice low wind from WNW started to blow.
So I had to take my Talon UL out...  Tongue

... and I started to clumsily practice a couple of tricks (fades, 540's... and I even got a pseudo Taz almost at the end):

Nevada23F TalonUL

Remember to select HD and full screen...

Feedback welcome!

« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 03:56 PM by Ara Ararauna » Logged

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
Tmadz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 05:08 PM »

Well done Ara. Looks like you're making progress. Do you find your Talon is making things easier?
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 07:35 PM »

Yup, I see a lot of new tricks added to your bag. Coin toss, flapjack, 540s for the left & right, and I think that was a better Taz than I can pull off. I bet some of that you can attribute to flying good kites, but the rest is from practice & hard work. Good stuff...  Smiley

JayDee

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 08:11 PM »

Those colors work great on the Talon, particularly with a snow backdrop.  Nice picture!

What lines were you flying in the video?  I find my Talon Std quite flyable in UL-territory winds with 50x50 lines.  But since I like my Talons so much (see http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=9271.0), I am currently saving on a UL.   Tongue

Frequent Fliers: Talon Std, UL and Vtd, Widow Maker Std and UL, Solus Std, Widow (modded), ATM SUL, Duende Std
Rarely flown: Exile UL, Zephyr, E2, Ozone, Micron, Quantum
Kabel
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 02:50 AM »

Hi,
what camera do you used? what framerate?

nice video! Smiley

kind regards
gerald
ghfisanotti

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 03:33 AM »

Hombre, qué buen video! I like the Talon very much, and that color combination in yours is just gorgeous!
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 08:33 AM »

Thanks so much to everyone. These comments are really encouraging.
After 16 months since I started flying, 14 since I got my Soul and 8 since I got my Talon UL I sometimes feel I don't move forward fast enough.
But I guess I am an impatient person.

Do you find your Talon is making things easier?

Yes definitely. Since I got my Talon UL I have noticed a much faster progress. I was feeling a bit frustrated with the Soul. I couldn't control its pull and was always getting tip wraps. The advances with the TUL have made me also much better with the Soul. I now also love my Soul since I'm getting nice results with it.

You can use some more fade management and line control, but all in all I seen lots of improvement. I certainly hope you will join in the next "trick challenge" as it will be well suited for you.  Cool

Thanks Norm. But despite the fact that the fades look not so bad in the video, my feeling is not good about them.
I can get the kite to enter the fade from a pancake 95% of my attempts and from an axel only 10%. Now getting it to stay in the fade is for me still a mystery...  Sad
I can sometimes get it in and hold it a bit, but I can't see what I'm doing right in those cases. Most of the times the nose of the kite starts bouncing up and down and then it enters a hard drop down. If I'm too close to the floor I then dart the kite onto the floor. Not a nice feeling...
About the challenge. As you can imagine I was really motivated and excited about making it when you first posed it...
But as you can see I am miles away from being able to do it. This is why I even stopped reading the post on the challenge.  Sad
I am currently not very motivated to enter a new challenge.

What lines were you flying in the video?  I find my Talon Std quite flyable in UL-territory winds with 50x50 lines.

I am flying with the same set of lines whether UL or STD  Roll Eyes
I use 25meters x 45Kg (i.e. 83 x 90) I have been waiting for lighter lines to arrive to my local shop, but they just don't appear...
BTW JayDee, very nice kites you have.

what camera do you used? what framerate?

I'm using my Android Smartphone Samsung Galaxy S3 recording in full 1080HD at 25fps and using a small tripod that is special for mobile phones similar to this one:
http://www.fotoprix.com/tienda/joby_microtripode_soporte_grip_tight/accesorios_camaras/tripodes/3_20_52273

Hombre, qué buen video! I like the Talon very much, and that color combination in yours is just gorgeous!

Gracias por el cumplido che, pero tu vídeos sí que son buenos!

So again thanks all for your comments.
I will try to keep improving and reporting on my progress.
Cheers!

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 09:55 AM »

Wink Thanks Norm!

In my bag...
vertigo2u
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2013, 09:57 AM »

Ara,  practice,practice,practice.... That is why your flying is getting better.  What is obvious to me is that you are working.  Those tricks did not come by themselves on this video.  
Each one you had to practice and practice and practice.  Good for you.
 I look at old videos and see myself a couple years ago and now.

I remember you trying to do a 540.  Now you got it.  Look in 5 months how much better you'll be.
 You did a lot of nice moves in the video.  Easy for all of us to see.  The nice thing about this site is people do learn from each other.

p.s.  It's a bit tougher when you video.  You want some good shots. and it has to be in the viewer. The goodone's don't always get recorded.  I've learned that.  Keep up the good work.

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
Baby "Zoomer". Symphony 1.8 para foil...
Wayner
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2013, 10:22 PM »

Ara,

your making amazing progress.

What is a challange today will be easy next month when you are on to another tricks.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum