GWTW Forum
November 21, 2014, 07:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you have a kite you instantly connected with?  (Read 4642 times)
JayDee
Trade Count: (0)

« on: February 23, 2013, 07:56 PM »

Many of us have a favorite kite.  Correction: Probably all of us do.  But some kites may take a little longer to appreciate, explore and get used to, while others are an instant fit -- love at first flight.  One such kite for me was my Talon Std:

When I first flew it, everything felt just perfect.  All of a sudden, I looked a two levels better flier than I actually was at the time.  The kite and I immediately connected.  That was at Shoreline, must be some three years ago now.  Everyone else out there said the same thing:  They could literally _see_ how that kite worked for me.  And I had not flown a Talon ever before.  I ordered it because I liked the graphics, and -- more importantly -- the videos available at the time suggested that it should be compatible with my flying style.

I am sure others have experienced something similar, a kite they instantly clicked with.  Please post your experience!

To clarify:  There have been quite a few other kites I loved (and still love), such as my (heavily modified) Widow and my Widow Makers, as well as many kites that friends let me take a spin with.  But all of those grew on me quite a bit more slowly.  That is not what I am asking for.  It is that Love At First Flight experience that this is about.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 10:11 PM by JayDee » Logged

Frequent Fliers: Talon Std, UL and Vtd, Widow Maker Std and UL, Solus Std, Widow (modded), ATM SUL, Duende Std
Rarely flown: Exile UL, Zephyr, E2, Ozone, Micron, Quantum
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 09:30 PM »

For me it feels like any skyburner SUL kite I've had an instant connection with. The same story you just said applies to myself there as well, and also with the BMK Mamba. For some odd reason just 1 though. I've had 3 or 4 and I've felt really REALLY good on just one of them, while the others seemed different. Glad you found a match that works well for you. Smiley

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
JayDee

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 10:09 PM »

Interesting find with those Mambas.  I am curious how big variations between individual kites are.  There was clearly a difference between the last builds of the Prism E2 and earlier samples,  but it would not be surprising if a less systematic variability can be found in boutique kites and mass-produced ones, too.

Frequent Fliers: Talon Std, UL and Vtd, Widow Maker Std and UL, Solus Std, Widow (modded), ATM SUL, Duende Std
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 10:48 PM »

I would say the WidowMaker would be the kite that I clicked with instantly. It is so forgiving, it makes me feel like i can fly better than i actually can. I get bored flying it sometimes, because nothing unexpected ever happens... All the rest have a learning curve to them. Maybe only a few hours to get used to some kites, and months for others. There have only been one or two kites that I didn't like at all, and some that I like enough to have hope that they'll seem great to fly someday. I'm just not ready for them yet...

thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 05:22 AM »

For me it was the AzizA......I had flown many kites before that one but it just honestly just started teaching me what it liked to do and reacted to what I liked as well...

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
JayDee

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 12:14 PM »

For me it was the AzizA......I had flown many kites before that one but it just honestly just started teaching me what it liked to do and reacted to what I liked as well...
Do you have any pictures or videos?  Before your post, I had never even heard of the AzizA, and there seems to be hardly a handful of pics of this kite on the internet.

chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 12:41 PM »

Do you have any pictures or videos?  Before your post, I had never even heard of the AzizA, and there seems to be hardly a handful of pics of this kite on the internet.

OOPS (thanks for the correction):

ZENITH:

Steve K Brown

Paul Horner
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 06:51 PM by chilese » Logged

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
boomertype
Trade Count: (+26)

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 02:30 PM »

Mojo UL -pure heaven, love from first tug! Wink
Lee S
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2013, 03:21 PM »

Aerostar Sano. (doesn't really matter which one, my first was a SSZ, I think I use the SSL more) New school capable, old school comfortable. Just like me.
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2013, 04:15 PM »

Fearless std.
What can I say?

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
lylenc
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2013, 05:23 PM »

Zerostar, Sano SSL, Sano SSZ, Gemini UL, Vented Rev 2, Vented Rev 1.5

Normally, I'd say the Rev II, but that's the one I learned quad flying on. It wasn't an instant connection, but it's the best connection.

Sano SSZ has finally overtaken Zerostar for sheer joy, but not nostalgia wise.

Craig     Walla Walla, WA     Just One More!
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2013, 06:52 PM »

skb™,

As always, thanks for the correction. I have changed the photos.

It's tough admitting I don't know everything, but so true.  Roll Eyes

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Texanpilot
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2013, 08:52 PM »

Another vote for the Sano and the Widomaker. 

It actually took the Widowmaker to bump the Sano from #1 spot in my bag.

Steady winds, y'all.
JayDee

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2013, 08:58 PM »

Any Pictures of the Sano, as it has been mentioned so many times?

zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2013, 10:53 PM »

Instant, immediate and enduring "connection" - Windfactory Androgyn
Never-gonna-happen, it's-not-me-it's-you, missed "connection" - Flying Wings Utopiaaaaaarrrrggggghhhh

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum