GWTW Forum
July 28, 2014, 01:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you have a kite you instantly connected with?  (Read 3750 times)
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2013, 04:37 PM »

I've never had the 'try before you buy' luxury - most all of my favorite kites (meaning I've been flying them for a few years now), I did not first get a chance to fly. 

Fearless, Trans, Tekken, TNT Zero, R-Sky 15, KFX, Exile, I'm sure others as well.  The good news is that if you don't get on that well with the kite, its usually not hard to sell it for a small(ish) loss. 

I chalk it up to an education fee!  Smiley   I can tell you, if I only lose $50 taking a chance on a kite I've never flown, I'm still happy about it.   I mean, I saw a bad movie last week with my kids (we all didn't care for it) and I paid more than that all total.

-Tom

6 kite tom
KeithG
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2013, 06:00 PM »

The standard Viper I did fly first. I flew a prototype and it was great so I was sure the final version would be good as well. The Viper UL was the very first one made so it was a educated guess based on the standard that I would click with it.

The Nirvana, Transfer and Talon were all bought before ever flying one.

Keith

Kites & Corvettes, both, a great way to fly.
Wayner
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2013, 06:24 PM »

Did you try before buy?  As I wrote at the beginning of the thread, I did not. 

The more you try before you buy, the more you'll fall in love  Grin

Our Friday Night fly crew has FORCED me to buy kites. Did the put a gun to my head? no worse, they let me fly their kites.  Angry

John (Chilese) pulled out his Mojo UL and said "come fly this". So when Ken at Blue Moon Kites opens up one last production run on the Mojo UL, I had to be first in line  Cool

Mark (reddobie here) bring out his Level One Amazing. After that night, I went on a mad search till I found one (Thanks Theif)

Darrin (Fidelio) lets me try his Talon UL. The next morning I'm at "A Wind of Change" when Gamelord open his doors to by one.  Cheesy

The moral of my story. Beware of a freindly kite flyer who offers to let you fly a kite. Its a sinister plot.  Tongue

bt
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2013, 10:51 PM »

Yes, as previously stated I did "try before buy" a PD sul, but very very briefly...like about 30 seconds...100 ft. line...zero wind....lust at first tug. Plus being in the presence of one Mr. Ray Bethell....yes it was one of his...helped a bit....
I had already been flying revs for a couple of years before I bought a 1.5 sul. It was more of being introduced to 2 wrap frames than the kite itself.
I moved out of the city to where there are no (serious) kiters at all and bought BMK kites just because...had never seen one in person before...but I just "knew"....
bt
inewham
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2013, 04:49 AM »

Bensons and Mathesons I mostly flew before I bought (the Outer Space I broke one of the prototypes Shocked, flying it in a gale at Swindon.)

I've got a pretty good feel for how a kite will fly just from watching a video and I'd flown Air FX's before so I bought my BMKs unflown but I wasn't disappointed. Lovely kites if you appreciate how a kite feels not just whether it can do a wrapped comete.

justinpwheeler
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2013, 05:44 PM »

Been away a while...

I tried Jon Farrell's Fearless VL for about a half-hour and ordered one that day...luckily it was right before Lam went out of country. 
Magpiesfooty
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2013, 08:59 PM »

1992, Abilene, Texas.... TOTL North Shore Radical.......   Still have it in the bag!  My Sea Devils, SUL and Vented come in a real close second.
vigli

« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2013, 11:41 PM »

Sea Devil
If someone would tell me, pick up the kite and fly 10 minutes to see what you can do with kite my choice would be Sea Devil.
With SD I feel so nice...
Yes I know there is mass of kites which are realised after SD was born but SD neutral behavior is really nice and one more important thing- gives me a lot of time between tricks to think what to do next.
Simply , that kite wait for me ... Between tricks...
Best, boris
portlandflyer

« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2013, 11:03 PM »

Try before buy? Yes, got lucky and used JB's personal kite for the whole weekend! After that I just had to get one somehow!! Somehow came at WSIKF!!  Cheesy
asburyparkjohn
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2013, 09:35 AM »

Tattoo - it was not so much a connection it was to me the ULTIMATE connection between flyer and kite - I knew it was a kite that could not be surpassed at 1 mph winds. This is my perfect Nirvana ... flying with 50-60' lines. Pure off the ocean winds ... this can't be described into words ... when these CONDITIONS exist ...  Cool Cool Cool ... as this time frame usually last only a hour or two every month ... in the SUMMER.

In my bag of Dual Line Kites: Benson - Inner Space, Signature Kite of Top Pilots on an Old Style Gemini ; L'Atelier xt.z. ; Fearless-Tatto (SSUL), Fearless - SUL & Light , Transformer TL's: (SUL, Light, Vented Light), Transformer 2 SUL.
drmndrew82
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2013, 11:38 AM »

For me it was the Silver Fox 2.3 UL. I know it is not a true ultralight, but at about 3-4 miles per hour, the kites flies with great precision and trickability. The first day that I flew it I learned 3 new tricks. It is not the most expensive kite out there, but for where my skills were, the kite opened up some doors for me and allowed me to see what the newer style of kites can do.

Kite Bag: Skyburner: Widowmaker Std & UL/ I-Nak, HQ: Shadow, Flying Wings: Silver Fox 2.3 Std & UL , Blue Moon: Mongoose, ITW: Kymera, Rev: 1.5 SLE / 1.5 SLE Vented, Kite Related Design: Fury UL, Fury STD, Fury Vented
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2013, 04:18 PM »

Tattoo - it was not so much a connection it was to me the ULTIMATE connection between flyer and kite - I knew it was a kite that could not be surpassed at 1 mph winds. This is my perfect Nirvana ... flying with 50-60' lines. Pure off the ocean winds ... this can't be described into words ... when these CONDITIONS exist ...  Cool Cool Cool ... as this time frame usually last only a hour or two every month ... in the SUMMER.
Hey APJ, we have wind like that all the time here. At least once a week, but usually when I'm at work !

Looking forward to flying Tattoos side by side again sometime soon...

~Rob.

King-J

« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2013, 07:40 PM »

I have a few kites that I got the hang of and was able to fly them fairly decent,
But the two I Connected with Instantly are my TNT's, Std Comp and UL comp.

My Family, With More To Be Born                          
Doc Z
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2013, 05:54 AM »

Transformer TL Light - that kite makes me look goood (sometimes). 

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document