GWTW Forum
October 30, 2014, 11:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kite Sharing  (Read 1578 times)
vertigo2u
Trade Count: (+5)

« on: February 25, 2013, 10:26 AM »

I have gotten a few PM's on this topic....

I am looking to share my kites with others.  It seems a lot of us could benefit from trying the different kites we talk about.  I have heard a lot about the Talon and Sea Devils, Prism 4's.  Truth is I have no real concept of any of these kites.  Or if any of them fly any better or worse than I have.

I do not consider myself an accomplished flyer by any means.  This season my goals will be to improve as much as I did last season.  I will fly a fade for over 5 minutes this summer is my (#1.) Objective.

Here in the Metro Detroit Area Jon T starts Kite Season the Wednesday After Daylights savings week-end.  It gives a few of the guys more time after work ...

Some of the Wednesday Night guys might want to try the different kites also.  I'll find out from Devin if he has a couple of kites to share also.

Having Jon fly them will also be a +plus .  He can also fix anything I break (hehehehe).  Or anything that happens to my kites he can fix. NOt a problem. 

Shipping can't be that much.  I suppose some rules Huh  Honsety is Best. 

There are number of Kiter's I'd share with... 
Little groups of maybe five guys.  It could be by geographical location.

If we listed our kites on this thread... It covers em' all ...

Widow Maker std.
WidowMaker Ul
Ocius Sul
Solus std
Solus ul
Pro Dancer Huh

The spring is close.  Kite Party in a couple weeks.  By May many of us could experence the different kites we only hear about...

Some Feed Back On This Would Be Great ... Then Norm's tricks will face the best we have to offer.

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
Baby "Zoomer". Symphony 1.8 para foil...
Allen Carter
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 10:47 AM »

I've got maybe 50 kites but I doubt anyone would want to fly them.  Old skool.  Cool

Allen, AKA kitehead
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 11:02 AM »

I know that The Other Place™ has a lending library of kites and videos...it seems that they get used quite often....
I have lent out kites to local flyers before with out incident...(most of my sport kites are standard pultruded tubes so new rods is pretty simple)....
it is always good to see sharing of ideas and kites out there!!!! I feel that is what will really help the kite community and industry more than anything else.

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Hadge
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 11:16 AM »

The library on 'the other place' works very well. Basically you borrow the kite for a month ( unless no-one else asks for it in which case you hold onto it) then pass it on to the next person on the waiting list. There is no charge for loaning the kite, but you pay postage to pass it on to the next person who in turn pays to pass it to the next etc etc. You have to be a registered user on the site and provide valid email address and real name and address so that the kite can tracked from person to person.

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 03:16 PM »

Norm, I guess you do have a good point. We used to do some kite sharing on the ClassyKite forum, it was called the Swap Club. But the first rule of the Swap Club is that no one talks about the Swap Club. It was for the inner core of forum participants, and an admin would have to approve you.
I also have gotten demos from certain kite makers, but every one I liked so much, I offered to buy.
I never did think too much about possibly damaging the loaner kite, I just flew extra careful, just like if the person who's loaning the kite is standing right next to you. I tried Sammy's Vendetta a couple years ago when we met up, I just flew carefully and didn't try anything stupid.  Shocked
I would do whatever it took to repair a kite if I wrecked it, and I guess that would have to be the agreement between the loaner and loanee for Joe's idea to work without hard feelings in the event of an accident.

Tmadz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 07:22 PM »

It would have to be between loaner and borrower. The loaner would approve the borrower through experience, reputation or referral. The borrower would pay postage to and from. A small price to pay to try out an expensive kite.

Norm has a good point, but I think it depends on the kite as well. With a $400+ kite like a custom Sky Sport Design or Alphakite I don't think I would be willing to lend it out, unless it was someone I considered an expert flier.

I personally am very reluctant to borrow someone else's kites. I would take extra special care of it and I have no problem fixing it if I broke it, but things like Norm mentioned are exactly why I'm afraid. I also know how hard I am on the noses of my kites from all of the pounding. That being said I still think it's a good idea, but it's just up to the relevant parties to decide if they agree to it.

BTW Allen, don't think I wouldn't be interested in an old school kite. After all of the talk about Hawaiian team kites, I would love to just have fun flying one without maybe buying one. If I liked it that much I might buy one of the replicas. There might be other kites I discovered I liked too.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 07:35 PM by Tmadz » Logged
Hadge

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 12:50 AM »

To be fair, the kites in the FA library are kites that have been donated to the library rather than peoples actual kites. Sometimes these are older well used but still servicable kites or kites people have moved up from.  I have to admit that while I don't mind letting people have a go with a kite, I would be reluctant to send a really good kite of my own to someone I didn't know well.  Either way the borrower would have to be responsible for any repairs or, in the worst case, replacement if damage was done.

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
Wayner
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 08:48 AM »

After all of the talk about Hawaiian team kites, I would love to just have fun flying one without maybe buying one. If I liked it that much I might buy one of the replicas. There might be other kites I discovered I liked too.

Love my Hawaiian even more after it went on a sky shark diet to eliminate the heavy fiberglass frame.

I've got maybe 50 kites but I doubt anyone would want to fly them.  Old skool.  Cool
I love old skool too.  Wink    but my collection is much smaller.   Sad

I see the value in having some type of program as well.
DonCrash

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 08:33 AM »

*slowly raises hand*  Wink  Cool

Vented L'organic; Vortex; DS (closeted); Quantum (modded to taz); Ocius STD, UL, UL (2pt P90), SUL; Pi (Home made kite)
coop
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2013, 02:42 PM »

*slowly raises hand*  Wink  Cool

I agree. Love the old school stuff. I just got two EFM's, and two more MEFM's.  Smiley
madhabitz

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2013, 02:54 PM »

---'clumps of oil' ?--
Heh.... yup, you will often find clumps of crude oil (more like tar) on the Central Coast beaches in California. It's a little weird.

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
madhabitz

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2013, 02:59 PM »

http://www.soscalifornia.org/facts.html

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
Wayner
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2013, 05:19 PM »

I'm 'old skool' and a number of my kites have frames dating from the PC (pre-carbon) Era. 

still have my kites with frames dating from the PC (pre-carbon) Era.

Reminds me of when I have a full head of hair.  Cheesy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change