GWTW Forum
July 31, 2014, 08:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbie here from south Florida with few questions  (Read 2225 times)
campbellj25
Trade Count: (0)

« on: June 04, 2009, 07:55 PM »

Hey guys what's up?  I am new to the forum, and pretty new to kites.  I did buy a premier stingray a few years ago and learned how to launch, land, do figure 8's, and a few other simple things, but since I moved to Florida I have been wanting to get back into flying at the beach.  I live in fort lauderdale, so there always seems to be some wind here coming in from the east.  I havn't taken my stingray down to the beach yet because I want to get a larger kite.  It is about 60" and seems to be difficult to control. 

What would you all recommend as far as something durable because I still have an occasional lawn dart and such, but at the same time, I am ready to buy a quality kite and spend up to 300.  I know there are many many brands to choose from and everyone has their opinions of the "best", but what are a few to look for and decide from? 

I have really been considering a Prism e3 (because I like the shape of it), or zephyr.  Or a Bluemoon Mantis.  Does bluemoon have to be purchased from bluemoon or is there any other online retailers? 

Also is there anyone that lives in S. Florida that knows of any stores around here? Thanks for any help!!
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 08:21 PM »

Go for a Blue Moon - any of Ken's kites fly better than those you mentioned.

6 kite tom
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 08:30 PM »

certainly can't squabble with a blue moon suggestion.

however, HQ has a new kite coming out called the Infinity. I don't know exactly when it's coming out, or how much it will cost, but having had the chance to fly one, it would be a great choice. not too pricey, but far from a 'cheap' kite.

an e3 from steve here at gwtw would be a fine choice too.

it's important not to spend more money on a kite than you'd be willing to crash. at least for the first one.  Smiley

whatever you choose be sure and come back to pose any questions to the peanut gallery here as they're a great resource.

Fdeli
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 08:53 PM »

Blue Moon Kites are sold direct only.  FWIW, and I am extremely biased, I don't think there is a better kite deal on the market today than the Muse.

That said a couple things to consider.

The Zephyr is a light wind kite and a little more 'delicately' framed than a standard kite and it might not stand up as well to those "occasional lawn darts".

The E3 is new and supplies are a bit tight.  If you like the shape you may wish to consider an E2.  Same basic design and as it is often offered at a reduced price as they are being discontinued.  Yes there are some differences in performance but based on what you have said I am pretty sure you would not be able to tell them apart ... in fact I think you may prefer the E2 at this stage.

Here is another thought (purely self serving).  You mentioned that you are willing to spend up to $300.  You might want to consider getting one "beater" and the BMK Muse.  Practice with the "beater" and then transfer what you have learned to the Muse.  As you progress you'll probably find yourself flying the Muse all the time but you'll now have a kite that you can let friends and family fly thus sparing your prized BMK from newbie abuse.

Okay ... here's the self serving part.  I know of a certain online kite shop that is offering the Prism Quantum at a discount to members of the forum associated with that shop.  By my calculations you could pull the deal off for about $320.  Not a bad deal IMO.

(who said I was a kite pusher???)

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
Dano
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 09:02 PM »

Steve just made a GREAT recommendation.

Quantum was my first kite too, I just wished i had followed the second part. It'll come soon enough.  Roll Eyes

Here's a few other comments to back the quantum as a great start...
http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=171.0

edit: oh yeah, and here's a secret link for you. Dont tell anyone i told you about it though... http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?action=pages;sa=6
 Wink
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 09:04 PM by Dano » Logged
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 01:03 PM »

There you go, the Muse is a great kite, if your not familiar with it it is based on the Mantis with a slight rounding of the trailing edge and no alternate stand-off positions. The rounding of the trailing edge made the kite a little smoother, or less edgy as Ken puts it. And if you ask around you'll find most people prefer the standard stand-off positions on Kens kites anyway. A simpler sail pattern also helps to keep costs down but there's no cutting corners on construction quality, you're getting a Blue Moon.

The Quantum is another great kite, you'll keep it in the bag as long as you have it, if not for yourself for others to learn with. It's one of the best beginner kites out there, besides being bulletproof it's good enough to take you pretty far into the realm of tricks. Plus it'll drag a Transition Tail around just fine if you ever want to do a little "Old School Crowd Pleasing"

That's a pretty nice bag if you have consistant breezes in the 4-5 MPH and above range when you add that Stingray for the kids. If your winds are under 4 mph on a regular basis you could consider having Ken make the Muse a Light, but the standard will fly down pretty low (under 3 mph pretty easily) if your winds are smooth. I would stick with the Standard if you can.

Have fun with whatever you decide to go with

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 10:34 PM »

If you are in FL you definitely want to stick with standards.

You will rarely be without enough wind to fly a standard BMK.
choz06

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 09:01 AM »

i live in south florida.  I fly almost every weekend in boca.  I have a bunch of kites if you want to try.  Bluemoon MSE, HQ scorpion, Focus Jinx, and a few revs.
Let me know if you want to fly.  I was thinking of getting the new HQ infinity looks sharp.
Adam
Geoffrey Platt
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2009, 09:09 AM »

Hey Adam,

I am in Orlando but come to your neck of the ocean once and a while. I've formed a central Florida kite club and am trying to get more people in Florida interested in our wonderful sport. If you are ever this way, please feel free to drop me a line. Actually that go's for the both of you Smiley.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 09:14 AM by Geoffrey Platt » Logged

Geoffrey Platt
Orlando, FL
obijuankenobe
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2009, 10:12 AM »

I think Steve's advice is sound.  I would add that if you really are going to fly mostly on the beach ( Angry lucky bastard), then lawn darts are actually not that dangerous.  But a beater like a Quantum will be great to have even after you are solid on the Muse.  When the inevitable kid comes and asks you, 'Can I try?', if you are feeling particularly generous, you can send him/her home with it. 

Your budget of 300USD is pretty lux for a beginner.  I see a long string of boutique kites in your future.  Enjoy.

obi

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document