GWTW Forum
October 26, 2014, 12:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: High wind tricking  (Read 1181 times)
drmndrew82
Trade Count: (+4)

« on: February 26, 2013, 12:01 AM »

Hey everyone. This is my first thread here. I've been reading a lot over the past few months, but just started posting.

Over the winter I have been flying a ton, mostly a shadow and silver fox 2.3 UL, but recently the winds of Berkeley have been picking up and unfortunately I have gone to the dark side several times choosing my vented rev.

I can fly my SF std fine, but tricking is starting to get really hard. My 2.5 vented silver fox flies like a tank so I'm just wondering if anyone has some suggestions for me (I'm fling with 150 lb 100 ft lines right now).

I know I'm going to have to run more and be more aggressive with certain moves, but are there certain tricks that are good to work on during higher wind days (15mph+)?

Kite Bag: Skyburner: Widowmaker Std & UL/ I-Nak, HQ: Shadow, Flying Wings: Silver Fox 2.3 UL , Blue Moon: Mongoose, ITW: Kymera, Rev: (2) 1.5 SLE / 1.5 SLE Vented, Baressi Signature Vented, Kite Related Design: Fury UL, Fury STD, Fury Vented
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 12:50 AM »

Welcome to posting more.  Smiley

Tricks, by their very nature, are about tumbling and not flying.

To do this, you must use anything you can do to put slack in the lines
after you make your initial input. As most tricks start with a stalled kite,
you have to reduce the forces induced onto the kite to a minimum.

This can include:

Vented kite
Flying the kite to the left or right edge of the window
Walking or running forward
Heavy lines (like over 200 lbs)
Centroid weighting (adding ballast near the CG)

At 15 mph wind speeds, I usually just put on my 100'x7" dia 2# tail
and fly tight circles. More people watch when I fly with the tail than
on my best trick day.

Good luck.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Wayner
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 08:20 AM »

Welcome to the forum.

My 2.5 vented silver fox flies like a tank
+1

Our local winds have been strong as well. I have gotten very good at the slot machine flowed at the edge of the window.
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 09:31 AM »

A pair of wind brakes will slow it down a bit. There's a point where they don't help all that much though.

Bob D.
bryan beasley
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 10:01 AM »

Insanes, Rolling cascades, Snap Lazies, Cometes.

Straight lines, sharp corners, controlled curves and slammin' landings.

Bryan
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 10:57 AM »

+1

That's pretty much my list as well.  Also a taz on the edge after the kite has screamed across the window is extremely satisfying.  Smiley

The fun thing about most of these high wind tricks is that they are very reliable once you learn them, so it's easy to have fun in high wind. 

6 kite tom
madhabitz

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 11:56 AM »

Hey, you're in Berkeley? Lucky you! I am about 40 minutes from you and am jealous. There is a guy in the City who flies over in Berkeley at times. He posts to the forum with the name of DonCrash. He's an awesome flyer and a really good teacher. He's also a heck of a nice guy. It would be cool if you got to hook up with him.

There is also a group of us who fly together once a month in Ripon. Tons of help there too. Aren't the Berkeley winds pretty good in the early mornings? Might be worth checking it out.

Welcome to the forum!

Nancy

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
Wayner

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 05:26 PM »

Insanes, Rolling cascades, Snap Lazies, Cometes.

Bryan

Wish I could do any of those tricks  Sad

Next time the wind is up, will start on the snap lazies. Had success with snap tuttles.

dayhiker

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 05:53 PM »

Much wisdom from Chilese.  Flew my blue stack with tails & it stopped traffic.  Tricks?  Someone said "I thought you were crashing."  But then again that's my level right now.

"Well him & my uncle tore that engine down
 I still remember that rumblin' sound"   Steve Earle
Wayner

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 06:47 PM »

Tricks?  Someone said "I thought you were crashing."  But then again that's my level right now.

Cheesy   Cheesy   Cheesy

Had a similar experience. Was practicing fade launches with a rising fade.

Lady said "keep seeing your kite crash on the ground and then like magic it pop us and starts flying again.
We talked for a while and I showed her what the kite was doing. 
She became a convert and wanted to by a kite for her and her son.  Cool
drmndrew82

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013, 09:37 PM »

Wow, thank you all for the great advice. I am taking notes here. I think I will try some of those tricks next time out. I haven't learned the comete yet though. I'm also going to purchase some heavier line to see if that makes a difference too.

I have met Don before at a Berkeley clinic, but I think he flies at Ocean Beach in SF mostly. I havent seen him in Berkeley since last year. He is a really nice guy. Now that I am a better flier, maybe I could get together with him sometime.

I actually live about 40 minutes from Berkeley too, but I go there because the wind is almost guaranteed. I usually go on the weekends.

Well you will be hearing from me a lot more. It was really nice to see all the responses. You were all very helpful. I can't wait to improve my high wind flying this weekend. Grin

Kite Bag: Skyburner: Widowmaker Std & UL/ I-Nak, HQ: Shadow, Flying Wings: Silver Fox 2.3 UL , Blue Moon: Mongoose, ITW: Kymera, Rev: (2) 1.5 SLE / 1.5 SLE Vented, Baressi Signature Vented, Kite Related Design: Fury UL, Fury STD, Fury Vented
DonCrash

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2013, 07:51 AM »

I have met Don before at a Berkeley clinic, but I think he flies at Ocean Beach in SF mostly. I havent seen him in Berkeley since last year. He is a really nice guy. Now that I am a better flier, maybe I could get together with him sometime.

You don't have to be a good flier just to meet up Wink I do try to go to Berkeley with what time I have, usually Sunday, and a couple times on Saturdays. Haven't gone this winter season however Sad But eventually will start going back to Berkeley. We got a BASKL event in a few weeks. Ripon a week before that. Bound to see you for something...lol...you're also free to PM me at anytime.

Cya then Drew.

Vented L'organic; Vortex; DS (closeted); Quantum (modded to taz); Ocius STD, UL, UL (2pt P90), SUL; Pi (Home made kite)
madhabitz

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2013, 09:00 AM »

heh..... were your ears burning Don? You are such a sweetheart. Cheesy

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change