GWTW Forum
September 17, 2014, 04:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is the difference in Revolution Models  (Read 2580 times)
lowpuller
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2013, 06:57 PM »

Kent,

That is awesome, thank you.  You should send that summary to Revolution to add to their web page.

I frankly have seen Revs for years in KHKs but was always hesitant to make the major investment without knowing what I was buying and there web site dose not make it easy if your not already a Rev expert.

Thanks again for the help.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 07:52 PM by lowpuller » Logged
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2013, 05:13 AM »

i remember when a full set up EXP was 135$...and a SLE setup was under 200$...........we sold a lot of them.....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2013, 12:06 PM »

Just to note on the prices, Revolution kites are (and have always been) made right here in the U.S.A.  Because of this, the prices are a little bit more than what other kite manufacturers offer.  Rev sews their own sails, rolls their own rods, winds their own linesets (Laser Pro Gold only) and bags up their own packages.  All right here in the U.S.  Over the years as everyone knows, the prices for ripstop and carbon has increased quite a bit and Rev has absorbed a lot of those increases in price....but eventually the price had to go up.  If you compare the prices over the last 25 years that Rev has been producing kites, the increase is actually pretty marginal compared to everything else.

Here's the nicest thing.  If you have an issue, you can contact your local dealer or Revolution direct and they can fix it.  I have sent many sails into Rev for repair and they have replaced panels, done leading edge mesh repairs or replaced entire sails right in their own factory.  Many kite manufacturers don't have that ability to do that because their products are made all over the world and not in house.  Purchasing a Rev is similar to any boutique kite manufacturer, and because of such, the price is generally a bit more than your full production Chinese produced products. 

Just my opinion.

boomertype
Trade Count: (+26)

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2013, 12:50 PM »

Just to note on the prices, Revolution kites are (and have always been) made right here in the U.S.A.  Because of this, the prices are a little bit more than what other kite manufacturers offer.  Rev sews their own sails, rolls their own rods, winds their own linesets (Laser Pro Gold only) and bags up their own packages.  All right here in the U.S.  Over the years as everyone knows, the prices for ripstop and carbon has increased quite a bit and Rev has absorbed a lot of those increases in price....but eventually the price had to go up.  If you compare the prices over the last 25 years that Rev has been producing kites, the increase is actually pretty marginal compared to everything else.

Here's the nicest thing.  If you have an issue, you can contact your local dealer or Revolution direct and they can fix it.  I have sent many sails into Rev for repair and they have replaced panels, done leading edge mesh repairs or replaced entire sails right in their own factory.  Many kite manufacturers don't have that ability to do that because their products are made all over the world and not in house.  Purchasing a Rev is similar to any boutique kite manufacturer, and because of such, the price is generally a bit more than your full production Chinese produced products. 

Just my opinion.
Well said!
And when you get a Pro, it's super Artisan, well worth the price and quality. 
Great customer service too.  If you hit a major kite festival, you will probably connect with folks from the "office".  Ben and Lolly are two great folks.  I'm glad to call them friends!
Tmadz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2013, 06:33 PM »

Kent, that is the best summary of the different Rev products I have ever seen. I've heard a lot about them, but never looked into the differences. I should print that out and save it for when I'm ready to get one. Mark this thread for future reference.
lylenc
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2013, 07:05 PM »

I have sent many sails into Rev for repair and they have replaced panels, done leading edge mesh repairs or replaced entire sails right in their own factory. 

I called about getting Rev II leading edge mesh replaced and was told they don't repair mesh. I think it was Lolly that I talked to.

Craig     Walla Walla, WA     Just One More!
goestoeleven
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2013, 08:39 PM »

Ok, I am suitably humbled before the excellent descriptions from Gamelord . . . . I rushed out more of my opinions than details about the sails, spars etc.

. . . I still like my EXP . . . just about any day flying any rev is better than a day at work . . .

Here's a useful link if you want to know a bit more about the full history of Revs . . . .  http://johnnmitchell.com/IntSportKites/rev_history/index.html
red sweater

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2013, 08:00 AM »

EXP - Very basic model, not as user friendly as the B Series 1.5

Even though Gamelord had a great rundown of the models, I don't think he echoed this comment. (At least not explicitly.) Can you elaborate? I ask because it's the only Rev I own/have ever flown. Yes, I chose it because of cost considerations. I knew it would not be the "best", but I haven't been told this "user-friendly" issue before.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 08:01 AM by red sweater » Logged

My bag:
HQ Breeze, Silver Fox 2.3 Pro UL, Nirvana Std, Prism Quantum
ITW Mesa DC, Premier Popper Line Climber
Rev EXP
boomertype
Trade Count: (+26)

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2013, 09:21 AM »

EXP - Very basic model, not as user friendly as the B Series 1.5

Even though Gamelord had a great rundown of the models, I don't think he echoed this comment. (At least not explicitly.) Can you elaborate? I ask because it's the only Rev I own/have ever flown. Yes, I chose it because of cost considerations. I knew it would not be the "best", but I haven't been told this "user-friendly" issue before.
I said that because of two things:
Only one frame set comes with it , not two.
The EXP in my opinion does not fly with the precision of the B Series.
I flew an EXP after I learned to fly a B Series and it felt twitchy in my hands and was not as precise. I had a 1.5 SLE before I had the B Series 1.5 and the B series gave me more options.
I no longer have the SLE or the EXP. I also feel the Pro Bs fly better than the regular B Series.
If I had just an EXP I'd love it and fly it. Great kites all!
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2013, 10:00 AM »

Even though the EXP and the B-Series "look" identical, if you lay them one on top of the other you will see some small differences.  They both use the same frames, but the overall cut of the design and the actual panel cut outs are very different.  The EXP is a fairly flat sail with a "straighter" cut along the leading edge.  The B-Series is a more "curved" sail and is designed to improve the channeling of the wind as it loads up on the sail.  Because of these small differences, the B-Series flows better through the air, has increased overall control and just feels nicer while flying.  The other difference is that the B-Series is a Polyester sail and the EXP is a Nylon sail.  The Nylon is a bit heavier so it takes a little more wind to get it up in the air and it has more mass when doing spins and rotations that needs to be "counter-corrected" to get the ultra fine precision that the B-Series gives away.  The  EXP doesn't "cup" the wind quite as good as the B-Series does.

Both of these features increase the cost of the kite a bunch.  The curved and more complicated sails take a lot more time to sew together and the Ripstop Polyester is nearly double the cost as the Nylon.

That being said, I have seen talented pilots do some amazing precision flying with the EXP and the 1.5 SLE.  It is capable of doing everything that the B-Series kite can do and flies nearly the exact same way.  The B-Series is just smoother and in most cases, easier to fly.  The Pro is even that much more.  I would say that John B. could use an EXP and fly a perfect routine with I-Quad no problem....he may grumble at it a little bit at times though. he he.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 10:06 AM by Gamelord » Logged

red sweater

« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2013, 10:28 AM »

Hope this helps.

Immensely. Thanks for sharing your knowledge. And for taking the time to do so. (I hope our discussions help the OP, as well. I don't mean to derail with my own questions.)

My bag:
HQ Breeze, Silver Fox 2.3 Pro UL, Nirvana Std, Prism Quantum
ITW Mesa DC, Premier Popper Line Climber
Rev EXP
timothymcmackin
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2013, 01:48 PM »

Several people have weighed in on this, but I'm going to try to take a stab at this as a Rev intermediate (and because I'm bored at the moment and thinking about kites) -- maybe it'll help someone else down the line.

There are three main variables among Revs:

1. Size: Smaller kites move faster and larger kites move slower. Rev makes kites in the 1, 1.5, and 2 sizes. This is a little confusing because the 1 is the biggest and the 2 is the smallest, the opposite of how most other kinds of kites are numbered, according to sail area. (It has to do with the order the Revs were developed and released in.)

The 1.5 is the most popular, and it's generally considered a good Goldilocks size to learn on and for all-around flying. A convenient part of the sizing setup is that the Rev frames are compatible among kites of the same size, so if you have a couple 1.5 kites, you can swap frames between them to fine-tune the kite to the conditions.

2. Model: As you buy a more expensive model, you get a better quality sail (both in materials and construction, which leads to smoother, more responsive flying performance), better quality frame (which leads to better durability and wider wind range), and at the top end, the option to get custom colors on your sail, or even a whole custom-made kite. Some models come with more than one frame, which is great because you can swap in heavy or light frames for different conditions. The Rev 1 and 2 have only a few models, while the 1.5 has several.

For example, Rev 1.5s come in the following models (not counting a lot of special editions and such):
- EXP (cheapest intro model for Rev flying)
- SLE (so known because it comes with the tough, heavy Super Leading Edge frame)
- B-series (or just B's, officially "John Barressi Signature Series")
- B-series Pro (essentially a custom-sail B-series sewn with extra care by Bazzer)

3. Wind range: The kites can be geared toward a specific wind range, mostly by adding vents to let the excess wind through. Again, the 1 and the 2 have few options, while the 1.5 has more. (Swapping out frames is also an important part of adjusting the kite to the wind speed, but here I'm just talking about the sail.)

For example, the various models of Rev 1.5 come in some of the following wind ranges:
- Super-ultralight ("SUL") -- lightest wind
- Full sail (also known as "standard" or "no vent")
- Mid-vent (a few vented panels sewn into the sail)
- Full vent (more vented panels)
- Xtra vent (even more vented panels) --strongest wind

Not all of the kites come in all sizes and wind ranges. A chart might be helpful here, but it would be pretty big. For example, you can't buy an EXP mid-vent or a Rev 1 Xtra vent --Rev doesn't make them.

There are also the oddball kites like the Indoor, the Blast, the Shockwave, and the Masterpieces. These play by different rules, and they don't come in a lot of sizes or models. Then, of course, there are good quad-line kites out there not made by Rev.

I'm getting out of my intermediate knowledge realm here, but it seems to me that the way to pick a Rev is to first pick a model based on how much you're willing to invest. (Personally, I have more than got my money's worth out of my two-year-old pair of B's.) From there you can pick a size (usually start with a 1.5) and then a wind range. The wind range selection is where you might pick more than one kite, so you'd have kites for different wind speeds and a quiver of interchangeable frames.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document