GWTW Forum
November 25, 2014, 09:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Night Flight... Lights  (Read 1880 times)
trigger
Trade Count: (0)

« on: February 26, 2013, 08:06 PM »

Well I work a ton of hours and have 2 kids and a wife who aren't all that up to flying.  SO..I need to extend my available flying HRS.

Gearhead turned stunt kite flyer... with access to led's.. what can go wrong?  I just finished it tonight so it hasn't been flown yet but i hope to have it out later this week if all goes well. 

so far it has been on for about 2hrs and still burning strong, if everything goes well I will post exactly how it was done.  IF not, I may ask for some help  :'(

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/i7vZRXcbZVQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ok, this is my first youtube video EVER,, so i guess I don't know how to post it,,, but you can still click on the link. sorry!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 08:08 PM by trigger » Logged
Wayner
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 08:14 PM »

Looks great.

now for the test flight to see how well those light say attached.

Jynx
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 08:06 AM »

Jim ~ Can't wait to see them (in person) light-up the Wisconsin skies! ...after that snow melts!!!
Looking Great!!!

"Excuse me while I kiss the sky."
Jimi Hendrix
trigger

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 12:45 PM »

sorry to hear that Norm,  last i heard you were going into mass production Smiley  I did some research on webbing to make stake holders, but wasn't sure if our little SINGER would sew it  Roll Eyes

yea,, ahhh,,, Ryan is in cub scouts,,, and,,, ahhh.. I'd let her tell you but sewing is not her thing  Cry  dang badges!!!

trigger

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 12:17 PM »

Oh,, I'm in!
trigger

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 07:10 PM »

here it is, first night flight! very rushed but I had to see how it looked. not one adjustment to the lights.

kite.. 1.5 full vent 3 wrap
winds stormy 6-8mph with a couple 0's thrown in

wasn't the right kite for the winds so it looks heavier than it is.

Can't wait for Grand Haven's night fly this year!!!!

http://youtu.be/QVr8A2HrEjc

sorry bout the video but the wife was a real trooper in the bitter cold

goestoeleven
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 06:27 AM »

I did some research on webbing to make stake holders, but wasn't sure if our little SINGER would sew it  Roll Eyes

yea,, ahhh,,, Ryan is in cub scouts,,, and,,, ahhh.. I'd let her tell you but sewing is not her thing  Cry  dang badges!!!

The answer is yes, your Singer should sew through the webbing.  My wife's (old & low end consumer) sewing machine was able to sew through webbing to make stake holders.

And . . . on the badges - she needs "Badge Magic" - it's heat activate double sided tape that glues the badges to the shirt.  You cut it to size, put them on & then put the shirt in the clothes dryer.  It should be available at your scout shop (or maybe online).  My son & daughter have gone through a LOT of badges in cub scouts, girl scouts, and my son just started in boy scouts, so the badges never end.

P.S. I am the only person who uses the sewing machine now . . . .
jeepersjoey
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 07:27 PM »

I have put lights on a few kites.  I currently have a Prism Zephyr that has permanent lights installed up and down the spine as well as on both leading edges.

It looks awesome.

I put similar lights around the perimeter of the REV last year and brought to Antelope Island.

I had three of the greats flying them (Barressi, Watty and Paul Debakker).  It was breath-taking.  I think all that saw it would agree.

The lights I use are called fairy lights and are extremely extremely small and lightweight.  Each light is the size of a match-head.  I used three AAA batteries to power it.

On the Zephyr it was on the bottom of the spine.  On the REV it was mounted on the middle top leading edge.

The REV was especially cools because the lights went around the entire outside and outlined the entire kite.

If you search for "Paul Glasspoole lighted kite" on google you will see my first try at the Zepyr a few years ago.  It has since been refined so that it is not so bottom heavy and has 2x the lights.

I really should have taken a video of them flying at Antelope Island!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 07:15 PM by jeepersjoey » Logged

"May you live until you die, no more, no less" - Eddie Izzard

"I'm not this way because I'm an Engineer.  I am an Engineer because I'm this way."
trigger

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 08:43 AM »

ok, it was a long night,,, but, here's a pic of my Zephyr

http://youtu.be/mJYVLewzVN8

I just picked up everything to make it a SNAP to install too

jim
trigger

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2013, 09:01 PM »

ok, 3 kites down.. and made it out to the field twice today. once at lunch with the zeph. All the gear installed and it flew really well with the weight on it.  I tried a couple clips, and was worried about them getting in the way during inverted flight and they did. but it flew great.  the system weighs less than the tail weight by a tad and i moved it up the spine.

My aunt was nice enough to assist me tonight with pics and video. the video did not come out at all!   completely BLACK! but here are some pics.

http://youtu.be/lcMIO8DK8u0

I made a quick adjustment to the lights and have NO SNAG points at all. I crashed once nose first pretty hard and everything stayed perfect. In total we were out there for over 2hrs with set up of all three kites and tear down. the lights were still going strong and they were used batteries
Wayner
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2013, 09:54 PM »

The kites look interesting.

May give this a try someday.
trigger

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2013, 08:37 PM »

Pretty happy with the Rev now.  reworked the lighting so you can actually see the kite.  hope to get it out tomorrow night, and hope the camera works better.   

http://youtu.be/qUJJRSS8QYw
trigger

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2013, 07:29 PM »

finally had some wind at night and didn't have to work!

My wife was a trooper going out there in 20degrees and 9mph winds

I was a bit frozen and the winds were stormy but the video came out pretty good. couldn't see the sail lit up in the video, but you could see it in person.

thanks also to Steven Leonard of AEROSHARK for his assistance in the build

http://youtu.be/8zp8oLwO0gs

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum