GWTW Forum
October 25, 2014, 04:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Low Wind Flying  (Read 3238 times)
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« on: June 05, 2009, 02:34 PM »

OK we spend a lot of time talking about what kite is best for low winds but no time talking about HOW to fly in low winds. What are your secrets? I'd start with.

Your wind window is directly in front of you and consists of a verticle area rather then a large bowl. Keep the kite directly downwind as much as possible.

Keep your field, you'll have to step back slowly to gain altitude, but anytime the kite is going down walk forward slowly again.

What tricks are good to gain back field? Cascades can usually be done while moving forward in all but the lightest conditions, are there others?

Fly to the top and turn the kite down or away and walk briskly if you've lost field due to re-launches etc (that's when I loose field) 

Smooth movements

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 02:54 PM »

I asked Mr. Reed how he could fly standard kites in so little wind.

He wasn't bragging, he simply stated: "It's not a big deal. Just keep your lines tensioned as much as possible."

That simple statement translates into such items as:
Don't oversteer your turns or corners.
Bring a slack line trick back under tension as quickly and smoothly as possible.
Even one line tensioned is enough to keep a kite in the air for a little extra time.
Fly light lines to minimize droop.
Fly lines long enough to get where the wind is.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 03:10 PM »

I'd put in 'mind your slack' twice but never got the idea down quite right, perfect John

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 03:14 PM »

Patients. Things happen a lot slower in low wind conditions.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 03:20 PM »

Patients. Things happen a lot slower in low wind conditions.

Denny
+1 i like to start with inputs that usually dont get the job done and then gradually increase until it works, but then i like slow and floaty

have fun kurt
Allen Carter
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 03:51 PM »

I generally don't like short lines for very light wind. If I'm going to work to keep the kite in the air, I like to have some altitude to play with.

I've pretty much given up on 50# line for full size (7'+) kites. For years I flew on 75# instead, but lately I've been not bothering with anything but 90#. 50# is just not slippery enough, and doesn't seem to give me any "weight" benefit. I do use it on very small kites.

As previously noted, be gentle with the kite. It's gonna move slow, don't yank.

Line tension is very important. You need to keep the air against the kite. Pull turns rather than push, etc.

Being really familiar with the kite helps. Kites I have a lot of time on I can fly lower and still enjoy. Less thinking, more flying. I can remember watching Dan Whitney tricking a stock, standard weight Gemini for hours while others were flying Vapors. He was just totally in sync with that kite.

Smooth wind. 2MPH of laboratory grade beach wind...

« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 03:54 PM by Allen Carter » Logged

Allen, AKA kitehead
kiten00b
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 07:11 PM »

Cascades can usually be done while moving forward in all but the lightest conditions, are there others?
They are a bit passé these days, but backspins work well in light winds for gaining ground and flic-flacs  & Jacob's Ladders work in the light stuff, too.
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 07:18 PM »

They are a bit passé these days,

In whose world?   Shocked

http://video.yahoo.com/watch/3835287/10478075

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
lylenc
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2009, 07:58 PM »

Expand the window by flying down portion of movements at the edge of the window and flying up portion at the center of the window, for example an infinity pattern. Take steps forward and extend arms forward during down portions. Try to use just arm pull for up movements rather than taking steps backwards.

Do an oblong 360 so that you move up wind as much as possible.

Slow cascades with hesitation in flare position as long as possible seem to take less energy than just flare glides from the top of the window. I usually fly with 50' lines, so that may expain why I don't get much flare glide distance compared to someone using longer lines.

Watch trees, smoke, dust, fluff, flags, and other indicators for wind shifts. If wind switches 90 degrees you can have the kite positioned for the change and walk down the former center window line to regain ground, while keeping the kite in the new center window.

Craig     Walla Walla, WA     Just One More!
johnfarl

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2009, 08:25 PM »

Steve you cascading maniac.  You do own the cascade.
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2009, 08:28 PM »

How about the 360 for low wind - hehe!  Smiley

Actually, thats the one I like to do most when other folks are standing around waiting for wind.  Looks impressive and its a crowd pleaser for sure!  Smiley

6 kite tom
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2009, 04:57 AM »

i've given up on short lines in light wind as well. even when there's nothing you can feel at the ground if you can get your kite up 40 feet off the ground you can many times find a breeze up there.

when trying to make up field position (moving forward again), many places will teach you some version of a downwind glide, but it's important when doing this to start moving forward before your kite is pointing towards the ground. start moving your feet when the nose of your kite is pointed sideways, halfway through the turn. also, when you're at the bottom of your glide, make sure to initiate your turn twice as high off the ground as you would normally. the light wind and the motion of the kite means it will turn much more slowly than expected.

Fˇdeli°
inewham
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2009, 02:58 PM »

Resist the urge to pump the lines - while a nice controlled pump is useful, every frantic pump is followed by a stall.

Learn to fly away absolutely on the edge of stalling, learn to zig-zag gently.

Use tricks that need lots of slack and help gain ground like helicopters, flat spins, backspin cascades, 180 to a landing, slow rising cascades, taz-machines.

anOldMan

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2009, 04:06 AM »

Steve you cascading maniac.  You do own the cascade.

And I have not heard The Iron Butterfly is very lone years. Good song even if the title is impossible to pronounce.

Hill  :-? :-?   What hill?   I don't remember any HILL!!  :-? :-?

anOldMan
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change