GWTW Forum
July 29, 2014, 08:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Durango--- brakes  (Read 742 times)
Zeke
Trade Count: (0)
« on: March 02, 2013, 07:14 PM »

considered upgrading to slotted/drilled rotors and ceramic pads.....any pros or cons about the ceramic versus stock???
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 08:40 PM »

Are you building a hotrod Durango, or is it stock ? If it's stock, keep it stock. Buy factory parts, not third party. Drilled rotors crack, slotted rotors are expensive, and ceramic pads are made for getting really hot, really fast, cool off fast to be hammered again, like road racing. Used in everyday driving, they glaze. I went through many set of brakes on my Mustang when I used to race, tried all types. None gave me enough more brake to justify the expense. The only way to REALLY improve your brakes is to get bigger brakes. Bigger brakes are huge $$$ because you have to change everything. If you're going down that road, look for one of those Jeep Cherokee SRT-8s in the junk yard. I think they have some nice big brakes on them, and should be a possible swap onto a Durango.

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 11:45 PM »

I don't know about drilled disks but would agree with Rob, Why? If it's for looks, like to show through a set of 22's I guess go for it because you already traded performance for style anyway. Either way though like he says OEM or a high quality pad is worth the extra, cheaper pads put so much dust on your rims and tires you'll be washing weekly, and other then the inside of your windshield, washing rims and tires is the worst part of cleaning your car. As far as ceramic just look into what is recomended, going with too high of a ceramic content on rotors not designed for them will accelerate wear.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
RobB

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 06:31 AM »

You're trying to stop a 6,000+ pound vehicle... you need some serious brakes to stop that thing fast. If you don't like dirty rims, consider some rims with more metal, less air, like these from American Racing...

[attachment deleted by admin]

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 07:42 PM »

hmm... weren't you possibly having some other vacuum problems with the heater controls? You might have a mechanic check the vacuum pressure in the system, low vacuum to the power booster would make the brakes feel weak. Sure the size of the vehicle will take longer to drag down but you shouldn't be needing excessive pressure on the pedal if that's what you're meaning as "Lame stopping power". Todays vehicles pretty much just need toe pressure to get full braking power, never more then is comfortable on the ball of your foot.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
RobB

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 04:50 AM »

You could just put a vacuum gauge on the line to the booster & find out right away if the vacuum level is an issue. If you had a vacuum issue, the brake pedal would feel hard & ineffective. If the pedal presses easily, but just doesn't do anything, I don't think vacuum is your issue. It is a good call, I forgot you mentioned vacuum issues in a previous post.

Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 09:38 AM »

hmm... weren't you possibly having some other vacuum problems with the heater controls? You might have a mechanic check the vacuum pressure in the system, low vacuum to the power booster would make the brakes feel weak. Sure the size of the vehicle will take longer to drag down but you shouldn't be needing excessive pressure on the pedal if that's what you're meaning as "Lame stopping power". Todays vehicles pretty much just need toe pressure to get full braking power, never more then is comfortable on the ball of your foot.

Separate vacuum line tapped directly off the engine manifold.  Wouldn't be affected by the leak under the dash if there is one.

this vehicle is heavier than the one it replaced, an Xterra.  Probably just not used to it yet, it's not as 'agile' as the Xterra was.  I like the mag wheels, always wanted to get some but just couldn't bring my self to part with the $$.  As far as the vacuum leak goes, nobody around here really wants to 'pull the dash'.  I copied the removal info from the other post and it sounds about right to me so now I have talk to some other people.  Can't afford a dealer, actually have only been to 2 since the 80's. 
Don't need to pull the dash to get to those controls.  Just the glove box and radio (center console if there is one) since the control mechanisms are right behind that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document