GWTW Forum
September 02, 2014, 07:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New to Kite Making Stunts and Single Lines. Which Books are Best?  (Read 2004 times)
Magpiesfooty
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2013, 05:47 PM »

That Maxwell Eden book is one of the best, I still turn to it 25 years later, I have the original hardback. If you can grab one I would.

I received my copy today.... Lots of handy stuff in there.  I can see now why it is so popular!!  Thanks again for the tip.

Magpiesfooty
Magpiesfooty
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2013, 07:28 PM »

Wow, the quote below is so true. 

I think that I will compare Kite Making with Ripstop Nylon as an activity that is best performed as a deterrent to major crimes.  This stuff is horrible to work with.  I think that I will stick to repairs and leave the design and building to the professionals.  You builders have my utmost respect. I don't have the patience for working with this super slick material.  It is like trying to stack BB's while wearing boxing gloves.  I am officially retired as a kite builder. 

Magpiesfooty

It's still not too late! You can still back out and run a relatively normal life. Once you get sucked into this "kite building" thing, there is no looking back. Soon you will have 4 or 5 sewing machines, fabric laying all over the house and a dozen cones of thread in various colors. Once you build your own, you will never look at a kite in the same way.
Lou
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2013, 07:39 PM »

Once you get sucked into this "kite building" thing, there is no looking back. Soon you will have 4 or 5 sewing machines, fabric laying all over the house and a dozen cones of thread in various colors. Once you build your own, you will never look at a kite in the same way.

Yes.... I wish someone would have stopped me from building mine.  I can't seem to stop looking at textile websites for new and innovative materials... spec sheets... build images.... just simply insane that I have departed the world of kite flying and somehow have lost myself in kite building.  But to claim its an activity that is best performed as a deterrent to major crimes is as false a statement as one could make.  My wife believes the time spent behind the sewing machines setting them up and practicing sewing on RSN borders on criminal behavior.  Especially when you continue to miss dinners and requests to come to bed early!  Undecided
Magpiesfooty
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2013, 03:32 PM »

Using a sewing machine is not the bad part, I guess not being totally prepared for the adventures of sewing ripstop, is the issue.  I will sit back, mull it around a bit, possibly come up with some better ideas on how to handle it and take it from here.  Sewing is great, no issues with that. 

Pleasant winds.

Magpiesfooty
Magpiesfooty
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2013, 07:44 PM »

Update.... 8/28/2013

To all of you new frustrated kite sewers out there, stick with it.  Take some lessons from your local sewing shop, or fabric supply stores, go in with the attitude that  they may not cover all of the topics you will need to sew kites, but from the angle of being able to gain some general wisdom and knowledge from the courses offered about sewing and the proper notions needed to complete the task. Basic Sewing, Basic Quilting and a few Serger classes have really helped out. (you won't use a serger for kites, but they are really cool machines for certain tasks that can help you expand your skills and divert you from just kite sewing...) This site has given some great advice about techniques and skills required for kite building.  Check out some of the sewing videos on Youtube.  Don't be afraid to go to the local book store, especially second hand book stores and venture over to the Crafts section and check out the sewing books. Read up on the hobby and learn all you can about notions, supplies, and sewing machines  before you take the plunge. Most of the time you can adapt grandma's old sewing machine to the task of making kites with the right foot and patience.  If she happen to have owned a good Pfaff with an IDT foot or another good brand of machine, even better.  Sometimes a walking foot, Teflon foot or rolling foot, may be just the accessory needed to get past some frustration.  Yes, I have been sucked in and Yes, I have purchased several machines, but the investment has paid off. A Bernina 950 Industrial, with lots of feet, for the long straight stuff (a very fast machine...), a Viking Husqvarna 500 for most of the general sewing and now a Pfaff 1471 that is far and away one of the best sewing machine choices for kites and ripstop in particular. It seems to do everything well.  Confidence and patience is all that you need.  Taking the chance and making some mistakes, and a good seam ripper is a great way to learn and build that confidence.   Good luck. 

Thanks for all of the past help and advice.

Happy winds,

Magpiesfooty
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2013, 05:39 AM »

You know..the machine i use is a 1950s singer....it was gifted to me by a friend and it was his mothers machine....it is simple to use and a workhorse..all metal gears and not much fancy.....and i LOVE it.....the only thing i sometimes wish for is a good walking foot (the aftermarket plastic one i bought on ebay broke) but i do not wish for any other machine....

Definitely get into classes...kite building ones are great because they are so specific to our needs but i have heard that quilting classes are great for technique and design....

most important things to have when sewing: sharp scissors...seam ripper....sharp needles....and a glass of wine or whiskey....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2013, 05:40 AM »

David: what have you made so far?Huh

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Magpiesfooty
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2013, 02:41 PM »

Rob,

Just a couple of Deltas so far.  One was successful and the other, the first try, was not as successful.  The first kite took the better part of two weeks to plan and construct and the second took just a few hours from drawing on paper to kite.  I was very comfortable with the technique used on the second kite and feel that I will only need to change a few things on number three.

The 300 - 500 series Singers are pretty nice.  Lots of nice machines from that era.   I have an Elna Supermatic, from 1955 that I just like to putter around with. 

Cheers.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document