GWTW Forum
October 02, 2014, 03:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: true newb here  (Read 6121 times)
UPNET
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2009, 08:56 AM »

Great!! Keep us posted.   Smiley

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Voltaire
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2009, 05:20 PM »

My vote is to go for the Exile when you get the basics down. I have the Deep Space and I like it but the dollar doesn't go as far with the Euro. BMK Exiles are local and Ken makes a darn nice kite. And if you need any kind of support, Ken's not too far away in NC.

The Exile will go pretty low wind-wise. I think it's even better than the Deep Space.

Bob D.
facesnorth
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2009, 06:51 PM »

BMK is at the top of my list for when I get my first kite.  Is Exile the best low wind option in their line?
Bob D

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2009, 06:03 AM »

I'm only familiar with the Exile. I can fly it in wind lower than what the Deep Space flies in. The Exile will fly pretty low but I wouldn't want to give up the mass it has for tricking to fly any lower. It's wonderfully tricky and I wouldn't trade it for anything with less mass. Ken makes an Exile UL but I haven't read how it performs.

If I were you, I'd start with the Exile because it's sturdy, does wonderful tricks and flies relatively low. Once you're happy with that, maybe consider the Exile UL. Typically ULs are more fragile and you have to be a LOT more careful tricking them and you CAN'T yank 'em! The Exile Standard flies so low that when the wind really dies off you may as well get a UL you have to fly just because you need to fly.

(Check out Ken's kites at bluemoonkites to see his other kites. There are lots of fans of the Mantis and Mambas but I don't know how they compare to the Exile.)

Bob D.
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2009, 06:45 PM »

I just got an Exile UL, and have had the standard for a while. THe UL will fly in SUL winds for a short time, and it doesn't take too much work to keep it up when the wind lulls momentarily. It's not an indoor kite, but it flies way down there. I don't think I would fly it in much more than 5-8mph, though. The standard flies & tricks easily in 5-15mph. After that it pulls like a truck and gets real fast. I can vouch for the standard's durability, and I haven't broken the UL after 3 flights. So time will tell with that, but it seems pretty sturdy for a kite that will fly in that low wind.
~Rob.

Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2009, 09:59 AM »

I cast one vote for the Muse.
IMO it flies the lowest of all the BMK standards and besides being a bargain it will do just about every trick you can reasonably expect to master as you get started.  I've been flying for years and it is my go to BMK and I have more than a couple to choose from.  Wink

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
facesnorth

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2009, 11:06 PM »

It's hard to choose among all the great BMK options with all your expert opinions pulling me in different directions.  Cry  lol.

Fortunately I may get a chance to try or at least see some of them from Gary and Bob and that will help me to decide. (Bob's Exile and I think Gary mentioned he has a Mantis)

Seems like a BMK kite is definitely in my future, but I'd like to choose just 1 if possible (at least to hold me down for a WHILE).  I can see now that is going to be a very tough decision to make.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 11:08 PM by facesnorth » Logged
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2009, 11:50 PM »

It's not that hard.

The Muse.

Std. frame.

No upgrades.

BMK Special (That nice Blue/Silver/Black color).

Done.

Simple as that.

Wink
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2009, 12:33 AM »

Put 15 grams, 3 weights on it and enjoy  Smiley  really

Save the $100 right now and get a good line set, 75-90 lb test 75-100 feet. Later after developing some skills and getting a chance to fly a few other kites you may find something else that suits your developing style better. But the Muse will be a lasting investment that will take you far.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
choz06

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2009, 01:04 PM »

I have a bunch of friends that fly in orlando.  There all in cocoa today and im home sick.  Not fun.
facesnorth

« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2009, 12:06 AM »

So far the best reason given for me to consider the Muse above the other BMK's is the claim that it will fly in the lowest wind's of all their standards (also the price).  If that is definitely true then it's probably the one I should go with.  I'm still need to get together with Gary and eventually Bob as well, hopefully soon.  I'm really trying to hold off on a purchase until then (although it's very difficult...).  I should probably know how to keep a kite in the air without killing it before I start flying a Muse.
obijuankenobe

« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2009, 03:06 AM »

I should probably know how to keep a kite in the air without killing it before I start flying a Muse.

Cheesy, yeah...good idea. 

obi

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
UPNET

« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2009, 06:41 AM »

Now yer thinking!   Roll Eyes

Voltaire
facesnorth

« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2009, 07:13 PM »

Well I had my first flying session with Gary today.  It was splendid.  I got to fly not only the HQ Breeze but also the Nirvana SUL and the Ghost.  Not a bad selection for first day flying.  Not much wind and tough to keep in the air for long, but no really bad nosedives or anything.  Was not enough wind to fly the Exile today.  My favorite of the three was easily the Ghost.  I'm looking forward to getting out again with the kites Gary loaned me as well as flying with Gary again in the near future.
UPNET

« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2009, 08:37 PM »

Cosmic TC Ghost OC, MD

So...is this you???     Cheesy

Voltaire
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document