GWTW Forum
September 16, 2014, 10:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Elixir SUL  (Read 1149 times)
quantum59
Trade Count: (0)

« on: March 06, 2013, 02:24 AM »

Hi all,
Did someone tune the Elixir like a SUL kite?
Which frame and bridles? Which range and results?
Thank you
Stefano
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 10:30 AM »

I believe John Welden experimented with an SUL version of the Elixir.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 11:14 AM »

There was only 1 elixir sul ever made that I know of and it was done special for or by John Weldon.  It was never a production version. However, unless JW can remember what he used were SOL on the SUL specs cause it was stolen from him years ago.  He claimed it to be the best elixir he ever flew though or favorite.  I though of doing one up in a g-force skinny frame myself.
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 12:03 PM »

I would agree that the mylar is too heavy to make it a true SUL, but weren't there some 'Lixs that were all fabric ?

Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 01:32 PM »

The Mylar isn't too heavy. The sail itself only weighs about 1 oz maybe 2. Iirc the Lix JW reframed was a jungle scheme
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 01:43 PM »

I know JW used G Force Skinnys in at least one of his experiments.

I think that was his favorite.

I re-framed a number of times and never found anything I liked more than the stock frame.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 07:49 PM by JimB » Logged
quantum59

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 02:01 PM »

Ok, thanks all.
I do not think it's a good idea to turn the Elixir like SUL.
Stefano
John Welden

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 04:54 PM »

Cheesy Cheesy funny how many people remember about the sul elixir?  Kite world is a small one.

It was made with the lighter mylar, 3/4 mil or whatever they use, I can't remember.  Ozone nose webbing, lighter leading edge material,  Vapor sticks, standoffs and fittings.

I put on a bridle sort of like a GEM UL. It was pretty sweet. It backspun quite nicely.
It was white, gray and florescent yellow.

I never weighed it but it had to be a lot lighter than the stock one.

The thing is.... it still flew like an Elixir, which means didn't really fly very well. If you're a hard core elixir fanatic and you're really really really into light wind flying, you'd probably have fun with it.  Otherwise you'd probably be better off with a modern kite that actually flies worth a damn.  I really liked the kite back then, but I'm not sure if I would now. It's a little too hard to fly. (by fly, I mean go up in the air under some control and then fall out of the sky if you looked at it wrong)  Roll Eyes

What I learned about Elixir mods is that if you do anything that makes the kite less durable, it takes away a lot of the fun. The Elixir is/was cool because you could pretty much thrash it to death and it kept on going. I find that the bone stock kite is the most fun. Mark got it right, no need to mod it out.

I was thinking of trying to talk Mark into making a new version of the Elixir, but then I got to thinking, who would want to fly an Elixir now days? If it flew anything like the old Elixir, people would hate it. If it flew differently enough to be popular, it wouldn't be an Elixir anymore. If you designed  a new kite that made an impact like the Elixir did, I could see reusing the name. That's asking for A LOT though. Maybe make a modern kite design that at least has curved leading edges. I can't handle the aesthetics of straight leading edges. I don't care if they work better, I refuse to fly kites with straight LE's.  Roll Eyes

rudyy
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 05:23 PM »

I did send a mail to Prism about two months ago asking if they can make a Elixir on demand, and to my disappointment they never reply. 

Elixir is a great kite and I think the only kite they can do most of the modern tricks if not all.  Its capability of yoyo without the need of a tail weight makes it a very unique kite. 

I still remember the days people always put Gemini and Elixir into comparison.  Those were the days.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 05:29 PM by rudyy » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document