GWTW Forum
October 22, 2014, 03:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Schikarex?  (Read 1356 times)
Mayfirst
Trade Count: (0)

« on: March 06, 2013, 11:32 AM »

Hey!

I'm new to this whole kite building thing, and I was searching for ripstop fabrics with zero luck within the borders of my own country (Finland, at least when it came to buying fabrics on the internet this country sucks), so I started checking nearby countries' kite shops' sites and found this funny calling material named Schikarex from Germany. Lookie here:

http://www.metropolis-drachen.de/cgi-bin/iboshop.cgi?show280,536125360959201,,,subcat=2
You can change the language to English on the upper right side of the page, if it isn't in English already.

It's supposed to be a cheaper version of Chikara, but does anyone have any experience with it? Naturally I'm skeptical about the quality of this one, but with my budget being what it is I'm seriously considering ordering it instead, after all I'm only starting to build my first kite ever. Just wanted to see what you guys thought first. Smiley
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 11:39 AM by Mayfirst » Logged
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 12:00 PM »

if i remember correctly there was some discussions over on another forum that is focused on kite building and the main thought was that it is too expensive to get it brought over to the states....but that the european makers had used it and liked it...

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Mayfirst

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 12:24 PM »

if i remember correctly there was some discussions over on another forum that is focused on kite building and the main thought was that it is too expensive to get it brought over to the states....but that the european makers had used it and liked it...

I guess that's good enough for me. It's not cheap to ship it over here either, but either way I'd have to pay for the shipping no matter what brand I buy since I can't find anything similar locally. Smiley Thank you!
HiFly

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 12:00 AM »

Hi,

what do you want to build with it? I wouldn't recommend it for everything.

http://www.drachenwelt.at/drachentuecher.htm
Gewicht: 48 g/m², Laufbreite: 160 cm

Sehr günstiges Tuch aus Nylon, meiner Meinung nach zeigt sich dies deutlich in der Qualität. Dehnt sich extrem bei Feuchtigkeit, nicht sehr UV-stabil.

Der günstige Preis spiegelt sich auch in der Qualität.

cheap Nylon fabric with lot of stretch, when getting wet, and not the best UV stability.
You get what you pay for

Mike
Mayfirst

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 02:27 PM »

Hi,

what do you want to build with it? I wouldn't recommend it for everything.

http://www.drachenwelt.at/drachentuecher.htm
Gewicht: 48 g/m², Laufbreite: 160 cm

Sehr günstiges Tuch aus Nylon, meiner Meinung nach zeigt sich dies deutlich in der Qualität. Dehnt sich extrem bei Feuchtigkeit, nicht sehr UV-stabil.

Der günstige Preis spiegelt sich auch in der Qualität.

cheap Nylon fabric with lot of stretch, when getting wet, and not the best UV stability.
You get what you pay for

Well I was planning on building my first trick kite, so as I'm still only learning I don't expect to start with the best of materials. Naturally I don't want it to break apart after the first use, but as long as it lasts the "learning curve" it should be good enough. If I ever become good enough then I'll go after the higher quality. Smiley I don't think I'll end up getting the kite wet for example, just some basic spring/summer time training on a field or such.
coogee

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 02:56 PM »

Hi
   most trick kites are built using 0.5 oz icarex which is a polyester ripstop. There are good and bad point for using this material but overall it is the material of choice for most trick kite builders. The real investment is time when you are building your own kite. Use good materials for the sail and frame. You will not regret what is really a small increase in material costs for a much better outcome. Plenty of suppliers ship internationally look around here and on the other suppliers supported by this forum.
   Mike
HiFly

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 03:39 PM »

Well I was planning on building my first trick kite, so as I'm still only learning I don't expect to start with the best of materials.
the Skytex might be the better choice

Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change