GWTW Forum
September 30, 2014, 05:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Washington DC Kite Festival  (Read 2208 times)
rudyy
Trade Count: (+14)

« on: March 07, 2013, 06:12 PM »

Who will be going there to do the ballet demo and hot trick shootout?

http://www.nationalcherryblossomfestival.org/2011/07/15/blossom-kite-festival/
REVflyer
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 05:07 AM »

I'll be there and a whole bunch of others as well,.... you should certainly join us!  It will be the best one day kite fest the district of columbia has ever seen.

You sign up for the activities you want to contribute towards, but remember it's not about the fliers , it's about the show.  We are entertainment and let's not forget that fact!

Terry Murray is our announcer and the sound system would power a Rolling Stones concert!  We set-up the fields and activity tents the day before the festival, so everything is ready on the 30th of March.

Take the metroRail system, there's no parking anywhere nearby (unless you want to be down there before the sun comes up!)

Whatever your skill-set, you can be a part of the show!
red sweater
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 01:03 PM »

I plan on being there. I see registration for the comp field is free, but it looks pretty booked time-wise. I am definitely not comfortable being a part of the "program." (Half-axel to tip wrap to spiraling wreck is my specialty.)  Embarrassed

Would I be alright flying in the family field? Or does that get pretty crowded? (I've only been once before. Didn't know about it ahead of time, stumbled on it. Didn't have my kite on me. (Yes, singular kite at the time, and was a crappy GFAK entry level, needed a lot of wind, which wasn't there.) But I think it was pretty crowded.)

Either way, I hope to talk to more experienced kiters there (as an engineer, I find this to be challenging by itself), and maybe try out some other kites. Maybe, pretty please? I promise I won't wreck them. Ignore what I said earlier. Wink Oh, and maybe get some tips and learn a trick or two, if I'm not too slow.

Edit: by "family field", maybe I should have said "public field"
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 01:06 PM by red sweater » Logged

My bag:
HQ Breeze, Silver Fox 2.3 Pro UL, Nirvana Std, Prism Quantum
ITW Mesa DC, Premier Popper Line Climber
Rev EXP
REVflyer

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 04:13 AM »

Red Sweater
come out and join us, we have a few engineers (and wanta'bees) in our club.  Don't be bashful, come over and introduce yourself!  There are lots of activities in the various fields because we want a great kite festival.  You can help you just need to be willing, look for me or our group, Wings Over Washington Kite Club, (Paul LaMasters)
Jared
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 08:40 AM »

I'll be there doing dual line ballet demonstrations, hot tricks, team rok battles, mentoring kids for the mini rok battle (any of you WoWsters think you can beat my mentee this year?) and generally pitching in with any help I can offer.

Can't wait!
REVflyer

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 04:25 AM »

YES,
I like our odds to get that top mentor's title back in the nation's center of power and our capitol Jared!
donaldrke
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 07:44 PM »

My Wife Serena and Myself from Got Wind? Kite Club plan on being there. We will be coming from Roanoke and Please tell us the best way to get us and our kites there.

Donald Jacobs
Got Wind? kite Club

Member of Got Wind?
Donald
REVflyer

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 05:03 AM »

Well Donald
unless you and the misses want to arrive and park 4 hours early,....  I'd recommend (strongly!)
 that you guys stay on the exterior parameter of the capitol city itself, someplace that has ready access to Metro Rail, further out stops will offer cheaper lodging costs, naturally.  Many metro rail stops have parking too, but again you've gotta' claim one super early that day!  There will tens of thousands of spectators at our event itself and hundreds of thousands more visiting the city for the springtime activities in general.  Call a couple of city tourism centers and ask for a hotel that will deliver you to the metro stop.  You're coming from the south, probably using route 66 from I-81.  I'd stay on the Virginia side!

Is it all worth it?  You bet, get your tail-feathers over to the Washington Monument!  Grand prize in kite building award is a trip for two on Turkish Airlines (restrictions apply).  There are three fields worth of fantastic activities planned plus a public flying area.  Terry Murray is our announcer and the sound system would satisfy the Rolling Stones concert needs.

It is going be a a real big kite show!
red sweater

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 06:11 AM »

I went to Virginia Tech, and my parents live in northern VA. I've made that trek up I-81 many, many times.

I don't think you'll have a problem bringing a kite bag or two on Metro, unless they're not the typical long, narrow type. There will certainly be bikes and strollers there. You won't be the worst offenders. Vienna will be the first Metro station you encounter coming from that way. It's almost certainly the best place to park and ride in. Saturday mornings are usually pretty dead on Metro, but the park service is estimating the peak cherry blossom viewing from Mar 26 - 30. Meaning, the city and Metro will be packed that day. Getting on at the first station means you may get some seats, and that can help protect your kites bags from the crowds. I'll be coming in from the north (green line), which means I'll have to transfer onto the orange/blue lines downtown, where they'll already be packed. And I have to bring a stroller for the kid, too. Maybe we'll collapse it and carry him until we get off the train.

In case you don't know, you're looking for the Smithsonian stop. Take the exit towards the Mall, not the one that exits onto Independence Ave. Then you just have to walk a couple blocks west, around to the other side of the monument. (map)

My bag:
Rev EXP
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2013, 06:27 AM »

I wish I had the time to go down for this, but I've forwarded to some friends in the DC area, I'm sure thier girls would enjoy the activities for the kids.

TBHinPhilly

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2013, 06:57 AM »

Last year I took an Amtrak train down from Philadelphia and walked over.  Very civilized way to travel into the capitol. 

The "open" flying fields are the entire National Mall.  But they are not ideal for dual or quad line flying as there are quite literally thousands of kids and their parents trying to fly whatever they brought. 

thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2013, 07:05 AM »

Last year I took an Amtrak train down from Philadelphia and walked over.  Very civilized way to travel into the capitol. 
Especially when you are carrying a good bag! Smiley

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
glk47
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2013, 08:04 AM »

We're at least thinking of day-tripping down from the Wilmington DE area (by train, or at least Metro), and wondering what it would be useful to bring. Would a KAP rig be feasible, or even allowed? We have some dual-line stacks that are pretty eye-catching, but may take up too much space to be friendly. Otherwise, I'm guessing SLKs are the order of the day. We'd be glad to contribute to learn-to-fly - any kind of kites (maybe not fighters) and can crew on big stuff. We have our own gloves!  Undecided

Larry & Nancy

Late edit: While I understand how this thread got started on this board, I can't find any other more general mention, where this post might be more useful. Any pointers? - Larry
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 08:11 AM by glk47 » Logged
REVflyer

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2013, 09:55 AM »

I'd say "unless you drive (NOT recommended) travel with only what you can comfortably hike around with on your own backs!"  Don't bring anything and see if we don't stick one of our own kites into your hands, carry your own liquids and possibly lunch for sure!  Wear comfortable shoes and dress so you can be happy if it's chilly or wet outside.

There will be porta-potties available (lots) and if you sign-up to volunteer as "whatevers", you'll get the secret code combination so you don't have to wait in the long lines but can use the one reserved for staff.

Last thing to get any proper attention is the media, sorry!  I'm on the advisory committee for this gig and this is always a hot topic, but thanks for calling it to our attention.
red sweater

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2013, 10:31 AM »

Yes, packing a lunch is almost mandatory. There aren't a lot (any?) places to get meals on the Mall, unless you go to a Smithsonian food court and pay the high prices.

My bag:
Rev EXP
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document