Where are the women?
(1/9) > >>
Mayfirst:
Okay, I just HAD to start a new topic after searching for women on the forum and realizing there seriously are none. Why not!?  ???  No, seriously, I need to hear your opinions on this.
I personally am new to kiting and kite building, I haven't participated in any events, but from what I can see here and on other kiting forums and sites, pictures and videos, the only women with kites are the kite builders wives, girlfriends or family members. Either way a man seems always responsible for getting a woman start kiting.

Here's why I'm puzzled, I'm a 26 year old girl (and I didn't get influenced by a man, I just thought this would be fun and googled kite building), and obviously I personally think kites are cool, and when it comes to kite building, it seems like women could (and dear alpha males, don't get offended now) be as good as guys at it, as it involves sewing, playing with shapes and colors and such. I get the "aviation" point of it, which might get some women nervous, not knowing how it stays up there, but I mean come on... They are beautiful, even cute, definitely fun, and not all of them are that hard to make, you could even make it a family activity, so even if you don't want to run around learning tricks, there's still a lot to gain.
So what am I missing? Can I expect to see any women involved anywhere if I do go to an event somewhere (anywhere)? Especially when it comes to trick kiting?

If there is a female being out there on this forum, let me know I'm not alone! :)
Mayfirst:
Quote from: skb on March 10, 2013, 06:53 PM

We are fortunate enough to have several very good local fliers that are women.
There are a few women flying dual line kites, but with Revolutions you see a good number of women team/group flying, too.

Oh thank God! So I do dare to join an event someday, I won't be the odd one! :)

Yet the question remains, why is there such a small percentage of women in the kiting community as a whole, that it doesn't even show on the internet that there are any, at least on the first or even the second glance? Why is kiting so unpopular among women? And it seems that if a girl/woman shows interest, guys seem to be all blown away. Or in my case when I asked around, my male friends thought I'm just nuts for being interested, hence me being afraid of being the odd one. It doesn't exactly invite more women to join when it is so male dominant, not that it's anybody's fault. :) Just wondering.
Mayfirst:
Acually, I realize you might not even know, so ask your wives, daughters etc, why they don't like kiting. I'd love to hear their answers.  ;D
Jynx:
Hey!!! ...I'm here!  :)

Male dominated sport? ...Maybe... BUT, that's a plus!  :D

Have a WINDerFULL Time! ...and just do your thang!   ;D
Mayfirst:
Quote from: Jynx on March 10, 2013, 07:28 PM

Hey!!! ...I'm here!  :)

Male dominated sport? ...Maybe... BUT, that's a plus!  :D

Have a WINDerFULL Time! ...and just do your thang!   ;D

Oh, hi there! And we got proof that there are women involved! I love it! :D

I definitely agree it's a plus, but what I meant is that for some girls it might be rather intimidating to join the community if there are so few women. But I'm not talking about overthrowing the guys from the throne of their "kitedom", I'd rather keep it so there are more men per women ;) but it would be nice if there was enough women for strangers to feel welcome. Or is this one of those "guy things" that women shouldn't touch, boys' time and all that...?
Navigation
Message Index
Next page