GWTW Forum
August 01, 2014, 06:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where are the women?  (Read 3626 times)
Mayfirst
Trade Count: (0)

« on: March 10, 2013, 06:42 PM »

Okay, I just HAD to start a new topic after searching for women on the forum and realizing there seriously are none. Why not!?  Huh  No, seriously, I need to hear your opinions on this.
I personally am new to kiting and kite building, I haven't participated in any events, but from what I can see here and on other kiting forums and sites, pictures and videos, the only women with kites are the kite builders wives, girlfriends or family members. Either way a man seems always responsible for getting a woman start kiting.

Here's why I'm puzzled, I'm a 26 year old girl (and I didn't get influenced by a man, I just thought this would be fun and googled kite building), and obviously I personally think kites are cool, and when it comes to kite building, it seems like women could (and dear alpha males, don't get offended now) be as good as guys at it, as it involves sewing, playing with shapes and colors and such. I get the "aviation" point of it, which might get some women nervous, not knowing how it stays up there, but I mean come on... They are beautiful, even cute, definitely fun, and not all of them are that hard to make, you could even make it a family activity, so even if you don't want to run around learning tricks, there's still a lot to gain.
So what am I missing? Can I expect to see any women involved anywhere if I do go to an event somewhere (anywhere)? Especially when it comes to trick kiting?

If there is a female being out there on this forum, let me know I'm not alone! Smiley
Mayfirst

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 07:04 PM »

We are fortunate enough to have several very good local fliers that are women.
There are a few women flying dual line kites, but with Revolutions you see a good number of women team/group flying, too.

Oh thank God! So I do dare to join an event someday, I won't be the odd one! Smiley

Yet the question remains, why is there such a small percentage of women in the kiting community as a whole, that it doesn't even show on the internet that there are any, at least on the first or even the second glance? Why is kiting so unpopular among women? And it seems that if a girl/woman shows interest, guys seem to be all blown away. Or in my case when I asked around, my male friends thought I'm just nuts for being interested, hence me being afraid of being the odd one. It doesn't exactly invite more women to join when it is so male dominant, not that it's anybody's fault. Smiley Just wondering.
Mayfirst

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 07:12 PM »

Acually, I realize you might not even know, so ask your wives, daughters etc, why they don't like kiting. I'd love to hear their answers.  Grin
Jynx
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 07:28 PM »

Hey!!! ...I'm here!  Smiley

Male dominated sport? ...Maybe... BUT, that's a plus!  Cheesy

Have a WINDerFULL Time! ...and just do your thang!   Grin

"Excuse me while I kiss the sky."
Jimi Hendrix
Mayfirst

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 07:38 PM »

Hey!!! ...I'm here!  Smiley

Male dominated sport? ...Maybe... BUT, that's a plus!  Cheesy

Have a WINDerFULL Time! ...and just do your thang!   Grin

Oh, hi there! And we got proof that there are women involved! I love it! Cheesy

I definitely agree it's a plus, but what I meant is that for some girls it might be rather intimidating to join the community if there are so few women. But I'm not talking about overthrowing the guys from the throne of their "kitedom", I'd rather keep it so there are more men per women Wink but it would be nice if there was enough women for strangers to feel welcome. Or is this one of those "guy things" that women shouldn't touch, boys' time and all that...?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 07:48 PM by Mayfirst » Logged
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 07:46 PM »

There are quite a few women that fly but overall is mostly men.  It seems there is a greater amount of women fliers here in the states than overseas though.  Maybe Jynx can explain it but I also see more women gravitating toward revs or other quads than duals.  Still there are more women team fliers than people realize.  You have Jeanette Lumas of team too much fun that flies with her husband Mark, Lolli Hadzecki (SP?) that owns revolution kites along with her husband and is a top flier, Lynn and Jim thats another husband/wife pairs team and theres even a woman on team Iquad.  We also have a few women that join in our local fly here in ripon, Ca.

As for Women in your area the one that can answer that the best would be Zippy since he is also in finland IIRC and has been involved with a lot of the events over there.  YOu might try going on fractured axel which is the UK kiting forum and looking for people close to you there but son't leave here.  New fliers from anywhere are always welcome Smiley
Mayfirst

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 07:53 PM »

There are quite a few women that fly but overall is mostly men.  It seems there is a greater amount of women fliers here in the states than overseas though.  Maybe Jynx can explain it but I also see more women gravitating toward revs or other quads than duals.  Still there are more women team fliers than people realize.  You have Jeanette Lumas of team too much fun that flies with her husband Mark, Lolli Hadzecki (SP?) that owns revolution kites along with her husband and is a top flier, Lynn and Jim thats another husband/wife pairs team and theres even a woman on team Iquad.  We also have a few women that join in our local fly here in ripon, Ca.

As for Women in your area the one that can answer that the best would be Zippy since he is also in finland IIRC and has been involved with a lot of the events over there.  YOu might try going on fractured axel which is the UK kiting forum and looking for people close to you there but son't leave here.  New fliers from anywhere are always welcome Smiley

I realize this isn't the best forum for someone from Finland. I've already registered over there too, but their women related posts seem to turn into, umh.. not that suitable for women to get involved (search the word "women" on that one, you'll see what I mean Cheesy), thus far I've enjoyed this one more and felt I'd get more appropriate replies for my question here.
boomertype
Trade Count: (+26)

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 08:58 PM »

We are glad you are here!  Hope you can find the information you need, feel free to ask!
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2013, 09:22 PM »

I realize this isn't the best forum for someone from Finland. I've already registered over there too, but their women related posts seem to turn into, umh.. not that suitable for women to get involved (search the word "women" on that one, you'll see what I mean Cheesy), thus far I've enjoyed this one more and felt I'd get more appropriate replies for my question here.
Yea there is, well.... lets just say a different attitude toward women fliers over there Tongue  There are some good people on that forum though.  In my experience some of the best people both shops, builders and fliers all come to this forum from all over the world and even though we can't fly in person were more than happy to help if we can.
Mayfirst

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2013, 09:46 PM »

We are glad you are here!  Hope you can find the information you need, feel free to ask!

Thank you, I'm sure I will!

Yea there is, well.... lets just say a different attitude toward women fliers over there Tongue  There are some good people on that forum though.  In my experience some of the best people both shops, builders and fliers all come to this forum from all over the world and even though we can't fly in person were more than happy to help if we can.

Who says I'll never travel? You never know, I might even move to the States one day! Til then, I shall get on your nerves with all sorts of questions, I promise. After all I can't even find a forum for the Finnish kite club, and they seem to have events only once a year or two, most of them not even in Finland, so I can't exactly bother many Finnish kite lovers either...
cerfvoliste
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2013, 10:31 PM »

I have dreamed about meeting a women that shares my passion for kiting... But it is "the impossible dream."

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Mayfirst

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2013, 10:43 PM »

I have dreamed about meeting a women that shares my passion for kiting... But it is "the impossible dream."

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Maybe I'm too young to understand why any dream should be impossible... All I know is you should never give up. Smiley
HiFly

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2013, 01:05 AM »

Laura Mastromauro
Kite Flying

hiver

Mike
Flying Fish
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2013, 03:25 AM »

My wife Irma and I are flying as a pair and as part of a team, and she didn't take up flying because of me; we got into it together. Have to say that we don't meet many other female multi-line flyers at festivals in the UK. There's a very small handful; most of the female flyers/builders we meet are into single-liners.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 08:22 AM by Flying Fish » Logged

thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2013, 04:37 AM »

As for Women in your area the one that can answer that the best would be Zippy since he is also in finland IIRC and has been involved with a lot of the events over there.  
There are events in Finland?Huh gotta remember that Zippy spends a bit of time at sea so maybe he misses them Wink

Honestly, my wife will come out and fly with me....but then gets bored after about 12 minutes and go and hangs out under the sun shelter reading.....
There are MANY women involved in the kite world, i feel that a bit of them end up being more in support roles than anything.....but there are i would say just as many female kite makers out there as male makers.....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document