GWTW Forum
August 27, 2014, 04:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where are the women?  (Read 3729 times)
photomom
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2013, 05:48 AM »

Excuse me!  (Holding up my hand and waving a little.)  I believe I fall into the category of "women".  My husband and I started flying together at our local festival.  I do fly Revs, now, but for years I flew stacks of Trlbys and Hyperkites.  My longest is a stack of nine.  I like the dual line kites.  Especially the older, slower ones.

I'm also a kite builder.  And, at our local workshops, there are about the same number women as men.

I will say that I am usually the only woman regularly on our flying field.  And I am treated like "one of the guys".  I can't answer your question as to why there aren't more women.  But I flying and being visible and showing that women do fly kites.  Single line, dual line and quad line.

kjm

mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2013, 08:17 AM »

My wife Rhonda (Kitegirl) is involved, she's sometimes more ambitious then myself, but she doesn't participate a lot on the forum. She was brought in via me though. Madhabitz has been very active here on the forum for a couple years, I haven't had the pleasure of getting to meet her yet so I don't know how she got involved. There are a few others I recall but the balance is weighted toward males.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 08:20 AM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Mayfirst

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2013, 08:20 AM »

I'm truly relieved to hear that. I feel so much more at ease. Smiley

As for Women in your area the one that can answer that the best would be Zippy since he is also in finland IIRC and has been involved with a lot of the events over there.  
There are events in Finland?Huh gotta remember that Zippy spends a bit of time at sea so maybe he misses them Wink

And thief, there supposedly are some events.  Huh  I've actually never seen one, and the active part of our kite club seems to consist of like.. maybe... 3 people? And they tend to travel elsewhere. At least that's what I assume after browsing their photos:
http://www.leijaseura.fi/index.php?option=com_weblinks&view=category&id=40%3Akuvat-ja-videot&Itemid=65

Kuwait, Pärnu, Fano, Al-Farsi, those aren't exactly in Finland...

I gotta say, during the time I've lived in Helsinki, I've never seen a kite even though we have lots of beaches and parks.  Roll Eyes And guess how hard it is to find kite materials locally... Weirdly enough we got several shops that sell all kinds of miniature planes and helicopters and their parts but only "kite part" I've found locally are some cheap carbon rods and very thick ripstop in two(!) colors (orange and some weird children's design with flowers and weird little characters Huh). And the only kite shop in Finland sells only factory made kites, no parts!

So my frustration goes so much further than just not seeing women kiters, as I've actually seen none at all.  :'(
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2013, 08:41 AM »

OUr host Steve here can get you anything you need and is willing to ship overseas as are most of the sponsors on the right.  Unfortunately other than kite surfing it doesn't seem kiting is very big in finland at all so your going to have to mail order most likely.  If your local shop carries , prism, flying wings, HQ or premier then at least you have the good factory kites available.
madhabitz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2013, 08:41 AM »

Hmmmm.... I've never felt the men/women division you seem to be experiencing, but I don't seem to feel the militancy you feel. The only division I've seen are those with skills and those who don't have them yet.... and a ton of generousity (and welcome) on the part of those who do have skillz, helping those who don't. It's all good.

Nancy

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
Mayfirst

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2013, 08:47 AM »

Hmmmm.... I've never felt the men/women division you seem to be experiencing, but I don't seem to feel the militancy you feel. The only division I've seen are those with skills and those who don't have them yet.... and a ton of generousity (and welcome) on the part of those who do have skillz, helping those who don't. It's all good.

Nancy

Obviously I need to move to the States then. Cheesy
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2013, 08:58 AM »

i do think that the appeal of dual line trick flying is MUCH lower in women than men.....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Mayfirst

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2013, 09:10 AM »

OUr host Steve here can get you anything you need and is willing to ship overseas as are most of the sponsors on the right.  Unfortunately other than kite surfing it doesn't seem kiting is very big in finland at all so your going to have to mail order most likely.  If your local shop carries , prism, flying wings, HQ or premier then at least you have the good factory kites available.

We seem to have some HQs... but only the lower price range models, up to Jive II...
http://leijapojat.valmiskauppa.fi/taitoleijat-c-25.html

Maybe I should just start my own kite shop (one may dream)... This is the exact reason why I wanted to build my own.
Jim Foster

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2013, 09:59 AM »

Mayfirst....

At Kite Party in Hunting Beach this past weekend there were many.  In looking around the field, I don't think I saw any groups of four or more fliers without at least one lady flier.  I can think of at least three lady fliers who have attended Kite Party in the past who, who what ever reason, could not make it this year.

Sunday there was a "Lady Fly" Rev demo in which seven flew, did a great job, and that line of ladies had never flown together until that moment.

We all love the lady fliers.

Fly Together! Share the Joy, Share the Fun
Allen Carter
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2013, 11:25 AM »

Most any kind of Internet Forum, even for some traditionally "female" hobbies, tends to appeal to men more than women. Certainly the case here. While I'd put female participation in kiting as high as 1/3 in some areas (all inclusive, not just sport kites), it's way less than 10% on the Internet. Many of the women kiters I know have much more varied interests than your average dual line guy. Donna (AhMayzon here on the Forum) is a good example. She's a great dual and quad flyer but also an award winning kite designer and maker. She's been heavily involved in local clubs and competitions. And she has a very busy career. Not surprising she doesn't spend a lot of time hanging around here.  Smiley

(sorry I missed our annual "date" last weekend, Donna!)

Allen, AKA kitehead
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2013, 11:48 AM »

Chris doesn't fly very much anymore due to health reasons, but yes there are some women that fly sport kites

[attachment deleted by admin]

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2013, 11:59 AM »

Welcome Mayfirst,

You should have posted this last Friday (March 8 ) which was the international women's day  Smiley

Kidding apart, I empathise with you in the loneliness.
Despite being supposedly in a country with good weather and with loads of outdoors activities, kite-flying has gone down to a minimum in Barcelona and surroundings.
It has taken me one year to start meeting a few people that are the "leftovers" from the 1990's and 2000's kiting fever and to be able to get into a club. Mind you, a club with 5 people and whose headquarters are 100Km south of Barcelona.

So as madhabitz (Nancy) puts it, forget about the male/female divide, get into the group and feel the initial divide of unskilled vs skilled but let you be taken by the hand of the skilled to start learning a lot. That's what I'm doing and I am indeed learning a lot.

Cheers!

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
red sweater

« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2013, 12:27 PM »

Chris doesn't fly very much anymore due to health reasons, but yes there are some women that fly sport kites

Some good-natured ribbing in that image name. Right? Wink

My bag:
HQ Breeze, Silver Fox 2.3 Pro UL, Nirvana Std, Prism Quantum
ITW Mesa DC, Premier Popper Line Climber
Rev EXP
Tmadz
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2013, 01:36 PM »

I haven't noted any division between women and men fliers. Since kiting is such a small community everyone I've met welcomes a new flier regardless of gender. Yes, there are fewer women flier. Why? I have no idea, but I know that I just enjoy it and being outdoors. I would hope more people take it up as a hobby/sport, but it does require a dedication of time. There is nothing more variable than wind.
Allen Carter
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2013, 01:44 PM »

Some good-natured ribbing in that image name. Right? Wink

Back in the day there were entire web sites devoted to the concept of "flail" (OK, maybe just one page on one web site).

On the old GWTW forum, back in the Dawn of Forum Time, flail morphed from a derogatory descriptor to a badge of honor. At least among those who really flailed.

"Flail Like You Mean It"

and

"Sometimes you Flail like a Nut"

were seen in the Signature line.

Just a bit of nostalgia.  Roll Eyes

Allen, AKA kitehead
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document