Rok assembly

Pages: (1/1)

DD:

I was having a discussion the other day with someone about their rok. I understood that the cross spars are closest to the sail and not the spine. IS there a rok that would have the spine closest the sail?

thief:

honestly for most of them it would not matter much which way you layer them....
I usually have the spreaders closest to the skin just because i do not take them out when putting away the kite......my roks have a simple shoelace style tie to hold the rods close so i keep a simple overhand knot tied over the spreaders just to make sure that they cannot fall out...then tie the spine on top of them.....
but i have heard discussions that some people feel the spine should be closest to the skin but i cannot fathom the reasoning.....

mikenchico:

Traditionally and for most instructions I've actually read the crosses go next to the sail. I have done the opposite many times theorizing that the spine in front would add some directional stability by providing a rib down the front of the sail and not form as deep of pockets in front of the cross spars. Also since the bridles are tied to the cross spars the spars would bear the pressure on the spine as pressure against them rather then pulling on the ties at the crosses. But I've done it both ways and truthfully I never noticed enough of a difference to support my theories.

KaoS:

Quote from: mikenchico on March 12, 2013, 08:35 AM
--
Also since the bridles are tied to the cross spars the spars would bear the pressure on the spine as pressure against them rather then pulling on the ties at the crosses.

--

I build my larger roks with a 6 point bridle i.e. bridle line to the spine/spreader cross points as well as the usual spreader points.  This removes the need for the "shoelace" ties at the cross point, as the bridle loops around the cross and hold it in place.

I've pondered the "over or under" question for my setup a number of times.  Tried both ways, they both work fine.

Pages: (1/1)