GWTW Forum
April 24, 2014, 08:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hexagon Rainbow Kite  (Read 8585 times)
Vernstein
Trade Count: (0)

« on: March 12, 2013, 07:26 AM »

Just got a Hexagon Rainbow Kite and Its beautiful.  Center Spins Long Tails.   But I can't get it to fly.   Cheesy  Just wobbles back and forth and crashes.  Anybody have it or can give suggestions?  Wind was about 10 to 15 MPH
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 08:15 AM »

That wind was probably a bit high for that type of kite, 10 mph might be ok but 15 mph is pretty high unless it's pretty smooth. You could try moving the bridle point a bit, staying stationary in the sky and wobbling back and forth could point to the bridle being set too heavy (to low, toward the tail) but swooping back and forth would point towards being too high.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
thief
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 12:25 PM »

have you a chance to grab a picture?Huh
Hexagon shaped kites, also known as Bermudas, are inherently UNstable.....the kite itself is pretty much a flat plane and so it needs tails to by stable by any meaning of the word!   Some have fuzzy tails...some have long straight tails....some have multiple tails....

These Windborne Hex kite all have two tails......they have an elastic line as the edging for the skin and that presents it own problems.....i have yet to get these to fly stable.

This hex has a 30' fuzzy tail that loops from the two bottom points....it is very stable as it also has a bow line across the back of the kite...

This is a derivative of a Bermuda - it has 8 points and 4 rods....it has a pair of 45' long cotton tails to keep it stable...

This is another 8 pointed kite....it is NOT flat instead it bows backwards..that helps keep it stable as well as three tails too:

(pic swiped from Ben H)

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
KaoS
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 03:46 PM »

Yep, definitely needs a tail.  This one is bowed across the centre, but it still needs the long tail you see here

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
thief

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 04:52 PM »

Kevin-that one of yours?? i LOVE it!!!!! does it need a home???

Vernstein

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 02:02 AM »

Wow!   Thank you for those pics.  Yes mine does have twin tails.  I also see where the line is drawn from the center.  My spinning hexagon is made by HQ.   What wind range do you find best to fly in?  As was mentioned 10 to 15 of steady, not gusty, like I was flying in, might be best.  After seeing your pics and seeing the suggestions I will certainly try again.  My how I love this sport!  Always learning and always challenging. 
thief

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 04:19 AM »

oh...do you have this one?
says that it is good for 9-21 mph..i would be wary of that!!!!!
http://www.invento-hq.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1460&Itemid=294

I am not certain what ability to adjust the bridle you have, but one option could be to add a tension line across the back of the kite to bow it slightly..that will help it be more stable..but you will have to bow it in a way that does not affect the rotating wheel....

KaoS
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 03:47 PM »

Kevin-that one of yours?? i LOVE it!!!!! does it need a home???

This was the first single line kite I ever made.  It already has a home  Wink

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
Vernstein

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 08:13 AM »

oh...do you have this one?
says that it is good for 9-21 mph..i would be wary of that!!!!!
http://www.invento-hq.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1460&Itemid=294

I am not certain what ability to adjust the bridle you have, but one option could be to add a tension line across the back of the kite to bow it slightly..that will help it be more stable..but you will have to bow it in a way that does not affect the rotating wheel....

Yep! That's the one!  If I get half a decent day here in PA we are going for another frustrating flight to try and get it right.  Will keep you posted. Beautiful though ain't it?
thief

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2013, 08:27 AM »

it is a purty one....having the wheel on there might cause some issues....Flying Wings used to make some kites that had spinners involved with the design and sometimes they worked really well and sometimes not....
Wolfgang Grimsel used to make a big hexagon (~6' wide) with a windmill on the front that Flying Wings based theirs on....Wolfgang's worked great but cost about 20x as much....

The spinner will work best if the kite is as perpendicular to the wind as possible....of course....to get that wheel rotating the most it might benefit from another tail to hold it lower in the sky....(more weight and drag)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography