GWTW Forum
April 16, 2014, 09:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Withdrawn  (Read 6794 times)
np
Trade Count: (+24)

« on: March 13, 2013, 08:01 AM »

Lips sealed
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 04:50 PM by np » Logged
roisinroisin21
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 08:38 AM »

Wow Cool

Wayner
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 09:17 AM »

Hey Norm,

That is an interesting challange.
Never droped a fade to 2-3 feet of the ground on purpose.  Cheesy

Out of school next week. hope to have some video
tpatter
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 10:08 AM »

This will be a very tough challenge for inland wind flyers - can't wait to see the posts! 

Tom

6 kite tom
drmndrew82
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 10:16 AM »

I can't wait to try this. I have been working on my fade recently, but not to this extent. I think this challenge will make me a lot better at the fade. Some steady wind will be really important for this challenge. I may need to hit the beach...

Kite Bag: Skyburner: Widowmaker Std & UL/Ocius Std/ I-Nak, HQ: Shadow, Flying Wings: Silver Fox 2.3 Std & UL , Blue Moon: Mongoose, ITW: Kymera, Rev: 1.5 SLE / 1.5 SLE Vented, Kite Related Design: Fury UL, Fury STD, Fury Vented
Wayner
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 10:29 AM »

This will be a very tough challenge for inland wind flyers - can't wait to see the posts! 

Tom

you said it.   Cheesy

I was shocked by how long I could hold a fade on my ONE ond ONLY trick to the beach.
Jimmer
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 11:26 AM »

Cheesy Little tougher to do away from the beaches' steady breeze Cry. Do you need a separate category for us's inland (lousy wind) fliers? Roll Eyes
Smeagol
Trade Count: (+79)

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 11:46 AM »

Dang I just did this @ HB this past weekend, no video tho.  Cry  Guess I'll have to practice inland now.
Allen Carter
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 11:49 AM »

Beach wind is cheating.

An old skool SUL in beach wind is grounds for disqualification...   Wink

Allen, AKA kitehead
Allen Carter

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 11:53 AM »

Maybe a handicap. Only kites with tail weights in beach wind?  Roll Eyes

Allen, AKA kitehead
trigger

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2013, 12:36 PM »

I'm on it!!! and i'm gonna do it in the DARK! Smiley

if inland winds make you better,,,,I need to go try a beach.. I may be the best ever!!!!   Grin

thanks for the new challenge
red sweater

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2013, 01:34 PM »

Will my tail weight help me hold the fade?

How do I control the altitude? I assume I can raise it by adding a little tension when the nose is high? Drop it by adding tension when the nose it low, or will that just make it dive at the ground? (Or is it just walking forward and backward? I remember a video telling me that the nose swings up and down. Do you have to time the tension to that swinging? But I don't see swinging in the video.)

And yeah, three feet off the ground sounds tricky inland. But I'll try it. I may have to ask for a Go Pro or similar device for my birthday. Or put our point-and-shoot on a Flavor Flav necklace.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 01:38 PM by red sweater » Logged

My bag:
HQ Breeze, Silver Fox 2.3 Pro UL, Nirvana Std, Prism Quantum
ITW Mesa DC, Premier Popper Line Climber
Rev EXP
DD

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2013, 02:44 PM »

http://www.geek.com/articles/mobile/review-looxcie-2-personal-video-recorder-2011113/

Sine Metu!
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2013, 03:24 PM »

Wow Norm.
That's really impressive.
Hope I can get to do it too.
At the beginning I was also thinking: what is this man doing with the lines? Is it some kind of trick to keep the fade there?
Thanks for explaining you did it just for demoing the stability. Otherwise people could have seen me going crazy wild with the lines while trying to fade  Embarrassed

Hope to try it nex weekend (with the weather's permission)

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
Allen Carter

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2013, 03:51 PM »

This can be done just as easy with a Standard kite (weights included) and the proper wind speed.

Does this mean that all kites are equally stable in a fade?

That has definitely not been my experience.

A standard weight version of the same kite often has very similar fade characteristics to a lighter version, but you can't compare a standard weight modern trick kite to a purpose built old school SUL like the one in the example video.

Some of the better kites fade great with the stock tail weight in place, but many fade better with no tail weight. Many kites do lots of things better with no tail weight, other than roll up.

In my experience stability in a fade is dependent on two main factors. Kite design and wind quality. A kite like the Breeze in steady wind isn't as much of a test of flyer skill as a heavy, flippy kite in funky wind would be. If this is to be a skills contest then the playing field may be so uneven as to make the result meaningless.

I think these challenges are great, and I don't want to rain on any parade, I just want to make sure newer fliers and folks in less fortunate locations know what they are trying to do in comparison to the example video.

Allen, AKA kitehead
Pages: [1] 2 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography