GWTW Forum
September 01, 2014, 02:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 ... 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Withdrawn  (Read 8099 times)
Wayner
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2013, 11:16 AM »

Norm,

I got them, just check the mail box.

now I can replace a old pair of HQ straps.

Wayne
roisinroisin21
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2013, 05:13 PM »

Grounded  Sad

Wayner
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2013, 06:20 PM »

Grounded  Sad

Simon,

fine English weather  Roll Eyes

hope it dries out soon.

Were you going to use your Talon UL for the challange?

Wayne
roisinroisin21

« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2013, 03:22 AM »

i would have used a refuse sack given the chance lol

English weather ,,,  barfffs

Yeah the UL would have worked sweet

vertigo2u
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2013, 10:50 AM »

Weather still a problem.  It won't be long... I plan on Working the Fade over and over again.  Till I can hold it for 5 minutes.  I have held them a long time.  Biggest problem is going from a Pancake to fade.  Fade launchs.  I do.  Frustrating.  Sore Knee, Chilly Westher ... reminds me of that old Spiritual song. 

"... No body knows the trouble I've seen... Dadadada ... No body knows but Jesus...".  Beeb signing this all Winter long.   Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
Baby "Zoomer". Symphony 1.8 para foil...
Charles P

« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2013, 11:45 PM »

Well, I've got the one minute in a fade handled, now if I can just get the kite to stay in the fade as I try to decend and hold it low to the ground!!!   
 Can not seem to control the kites attitude as I descend, it starts oscillating and BAM!!  Lawn dart.     Cry Cry
I did start smoothing out my descents later in the day today but to hold the fade low to the ground is going to be tough!

In the bag,

Seven SUL, Deep Space UL, Seven Std., Deep Space Vented
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #51 on: April 01, 2013, 01:28 AM »

Argh... no good winds these days

Out of all Easter week, I've flown only twice.
One day in 25Km/h with gusts of up to 32Km/h and trying to do "something" at the edges of the window.   Roll Eyes
Another day with good strength (~8Km/h) but constantly changing direction from SW to N and gusty  Roll Eyes  Sad
So I've had the worst flying holidays in my (short) flying history   Angry   Sad

The rest of days, either no wind (I need an SUL or almost Indoor!) or horrible gusty wind so not even attempted to fly.
Yesterday I took out my Conyne and a 200m line and got it all the way up... (my height record) the only real flying I've been able to do.

So for the time being, I have not even been able to try to fade, let alone trying to keep it there for one minute or even less try to lower it...

Why is nature so cruel?  Sad

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #52 on: April 01, 2013, 04:50 AM »

Patience... good wind doesn't always come on a holiday. In fact, it rarely is there when you have off from work. I think that I get 10 GOOD days each year. The rest of the good days are when I'm working. What you have to do is steal that wind back... keep your kites in your car & go when the wind is good. Either go on your way to work, your way home, at lunch, or blow off work all together !
I got some flying this weekend, but just as Ara said, it wasn't a weekend for smooth wind. At least not here...

lylenc
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #53 on: April 01, 2013, 10:05 AM »

Biggest problem is going from a Pancake to fade. 

Try sweep pulling for the fade before the nose gets all the way into the pancake position and the lines go slack, aka kill the rotation into the pancake. Vary the timing a little earlier or later as you change from kite to kite, as the sweet spot seems to be kite dependent. The sweet spot gets wider once you figure out the technique.

Craig     Walla Walla, WA     Just One More!
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #54 on: April 01, 2013, 10:46 AM »

Biggest problem is going from a Pancake to fade. 

Try sweep pulling for the fade before the nose gets all the way into the pancake position and the lines go slack, aka kill the rotation into the pancake. Vary the timing a little earlier or later as you change from kite to kite, as the sweet spot seems to be kite dependent. The sweet spot gets wider once you figure out the technique.

Hope this is not an April fools suggestion  Wink

No, really, what do you mean by "sweep pull"?
Is it not a brusque pull, as in making the kite jump from the pancake to the fade?
Is it more like a pull constantly until the kite is swept from the pancake to the fade?

I have tried that in my kites in the past but have never gotten any results... the kites just either stay in the pancake or they dart down.
But I haven't tried it for a while. Maybe the experience I have gained in the past few months will make me get better results...

Any more clues are welcome!
Thanks

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #55 on: April 01, 2013, 02:31 PM »

Yep  Smiley

In my bag...
lylenc
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #56 on: April 01, 2013, 05:24 PM »

No, really, what do you mean by "sweep pull"?
Is it not a brusque pull, as in making the kite jump from the pancake to the fade?
Is it more like a pull constantly until the kite is swept from the pancake to the fade?

No April Fools joke. if the wrist snap rotation back to a fade isn't working for you, try a sweep motion and early kill of the flair/pancake to see if that will work.

Sometimes you can bang away with just wrist snaps. Sometimes times you need a finesse sweep motion to kill the flair/pancake early so you don't knock the kite out of the wind and sky. Other times, you may need some combination of techniques. The technique varies depending on which portion of the wind range the conditions are, type of kite, and mood/music styles, at least for me.

I fly mostly SUL & UL kites. Especially at the low end of the wind range, I may need to use my hands as a shock absorber to take up slack to kill the flair/pancake early and use a sweeping motion and/or wrist snap to get back to fade position. With a standard kite or higher end of the wind range, I can get away with less or no sweep motion and add more wrist snap to rotate back to the fade.

The varying wind conditions and types of kites make learning tricks difficult. Play around until you figure out what is your personal preference. There is more than one way to skin the cat.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 05:52 PM by lylenc » Logged

Craig     Walla Walla, WA     Just One More!
red sweater

« Reply #57 on: April 02, 2013, 06:41 AM »

I assume the motion to go from pancake to fade is the same (or close enough?) as a fade launch? As I posted earlier, I had success doing the fade launch with a slow motion to start, until the tail starts rising, then a quick flick, and of course lots of slack. (Once the kite is in a downwards flying position, you already need to have thrown slack. Any tension at this point makes it dive. Think about the bridle and which connection to the kite is furthest from you. That is the point that will be pulled if you apply tension. Any tension at/after the halfway point stops the rotation.) Starting with a quick motion always made the tail jump up, but never rotated the nose all the way around. I'm hoping the fade launch transfers to the pancake to fade. That's my next goal. I've never done it, not even once. Heck, most of the time I have trouble even pancaking.

I just need that SUL to arrive from Aussieland and a couple free hours on a Saturday to give this a try.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 06:44 AM by red sweater » Logged

My bag:
HQ Breeze, Silver Fox 2.3 Pro UL, Nirvana Std, Prism Quantum
ITW Mesa DC, Premier Popper Line Climber
Rev EXP
Charles P

« Reply #58 on: April 02, 2013, 11:20 PM »

I may need to use my hands as a shock absorber to take up slack to kill the flair/pancake early and use a sweeping motion and/or wrist snap to get back to fade position.

If I may add to this because I think some of Lylenc's advise may be lost in translation. Some kites prefer a stopping motion in the pancake before pulling into the fade.  (Lylenc's "shock absorber" )
 My Deepspace UL is a good example of this and I am still working the bugs out but....
 You may want to think of it as three inputs to get to the fade when flying straight down from the top of the window.

1) Slack to get the kite into the pancake   (you may also want to play with how flat you go as well maybe try stopping before the kite is completely flat)

2) A small tug or good line tending to take up slack and stop the rotation  (Lylenc's shock absorber)

3) Either a sharp tug or a steady pull to bring the kite to the fade position, and yes the steady pull is very similar to the fade launch.

I hope this might be of some help and good luck!

Off subject but I just recieved my straps from Norm P. in the mail today.  Thank you sir!!     Cool

Hoping to get out this weekend and use them to try this fade challenge if the rain will hold off!!

In the bag,

Seven SUL, Deep Space UL, Seven Std., Deep Space Vented
Hadge

« Reply #59 on: April 03, 2013, 03:51 AM »

For those who haven't already seen it, I found this helpful when I was learning.

http://prismkites.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1213804747

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document