GWTW Forum
July 25, 2014, 12:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Demo Music From This Century Please (Now Hijacked)  (Read 3717 times)
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2013, 06:57 PM »

I was just referring to the post about how youth is hard to get involved. But it seems majority of you don't even want much younger people included to your parties. Maybe you guys are afraid you wouldn't feel welcome or like it's "your thing" anymore if kites and kite parties became younger adults thing? Wink

We had a small gallery thingie 2007 here in in the Craft Museum of Finland where they had all kinds of kites on the walls and ceilings presented as art. After seeing the pictures, I think the idea was absolutely brilliant. Too bad I missed that one too, never even heard of it until I searched for a local kite club. But it's just another example of how kites can be promoted without a kite party.

I don't think there's much danger of that...  Cheesy
Kiting just doesn't appeal to the younger set for the most part because it's not 'exciting' enough. I liked kites when I was in my teens and twenties, but other more exciting things occupied my time then. Wakeboarding, snowboarding, mountain biking, car racing... etc. When you get older, things like kiting are more inviting because you get to a point when you realize that you need to slow down, and be around for your family.

Jim Foster
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2013, 07:42 PM »

Jim,

I see many groups of Rev fliers flying to the call-outs of one person (you included).

If your spontaneous groups can do formations to no music, then flying to any

song should be straight forward. Granted you won't be maximizing the movements

to the music, but the crowd isn't going to notice the difference. Dave is often telling

the crowds how the fliers have only flown to some song once or never before, so

is he lying or are you telling me you don't lead groups to no music or whatever is

on the PA at the moment?

Mr. Bethell is deaf and no one seems to care that he is flying a general routine to

any song after getting a tap on the shoulder to tell him the music has started.

John

Sorry for not answering earlier, we were at Huntington.  I don't need to tell you what Lynn and I were doing there.

Yes, I do love to lead groups, especially if it is a group of experienced fliers who have never flown together.  As for flying to music with such a group. yes I do that often.  The problem is that not all of the flying with such groups can be made to "fit" the music, and when in a line, usually only the first kite in line will actually be "on the beat" and and the rest just following.  Much of the time last weekend I was doing just that.  And, getting such a line to burst a ball or do some other group move all together and with the music is not always successful.  Another thing that is fun is to try to get them to change direction in a follow one after the other on successive beats.  You must understand, many of the fliers in those lines have never flown in a group to music, and some may never have flown to music at all. 

For a time, Mike Kory would take the lead.  Now there's a guy who loves to make his kite "dance" across the sky to whatever  music was playing.  He would start doing that, my kite would dance along with Mike's, and the rest would just follow in line as though there was no music playing.

Give it a try sometime.

As far as Dave indicating that a particular line had not flown together before, that was certainly true with the "Lady's Fly" last Sunday. Many had flown together at Kite Party in the past, but not all in that line.

Regarding Ray Bethell, flying three dual line kites at one time does not lend itself to tricks or flying to anything that is not flowing.  I don't think anyone expects Ray to "fly to the beat" with three kites.  Many can't do that with one.

What we did on Sunday with "Too Much Fun" was pretty close to what you are asking.  We had only one day prior to Kite Party when we could all get together in the same place at the same time and practice the routine.  That day was, as you might imagine, "Way Too Much Fun".

Cheers, Jim

Fly Together! Share the Joy, Share the Fun
Jim Foster

« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2013, 07:56 PM »

[/quote]

Kiting just doesn't appeal to the younger set for the most part because it's not 'exciting' enough.
[/quote]

Get them flying a fast foil or get them on the handles of a 70 mph Rev Super Sonic and then let's see if that is exciting enough.

We have a good friend who was asked by his doctor what he did for exercise.  When he told the doctor that he flies kites the doctor remarked that that didn't seem like much exercise.  Our friend replied that flying a kite that goes 70 mph is good exercise.  Doctor agreed.  Fast kites can be both exciting and good exercise, especially if it is done in groups of two or more.

RobB

« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2013, 09:10 PM »

Hey Jim, I'm with you. It's exciting enough for me, too. Twenty years ago, I was more interested in things that you could get hurt doing, though.  Shocked

Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2013, 09:42 PM »

Hey Jim, I'm with you. It's exciting enough for me, too. Twenty years ago, I was more interested in things that you could get hurt doing, though.  Shocked
I had a kid tell me that kite flying wasn't exciting cause you can't really get hurt doing it.  Then he saw the challenge of flying around idiots that walk right into your kite path and end up bloody or unconscious. Now kite flying is cool Tongue
madhabitz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2013, 12:07 AM »

.... idiots that walk right into your kite path and end up bloody or unconscious. Now kite flying is cool Tongue

Yikes Anthony, when did that happen?

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
Jim Foster

« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2013, 12:29 AM »

Last year at WSIKF a flier was behind us, but misjudged his distance and brought his Rev down hard hitting Lynn and me.  We had no warning.  I was OK as my big straw hat came down over my face and gave some protection.  Lynn was not so lucky however, as she was brought down backwards, twisting her knee badly.  Several doctor appointments, weeks of therapy, heat, ice and a cortisone shot have made her knee much better. 

And none of us should ever forget our friend Jim Strealy who was flying his kite at Lake Yosemite last June and somehow ended up in the lake and drowned.

RobB

« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2013, 04:40 AM »

Last year at WSIKF a flier was behind us, but misjudged his distance and brought his Rev down hard hitting Lynn and me.  We had no warning.  I was OK as my big straw hat came down over my face and gave some protection.  Lynn was not so lucky however, as she was brought down backwards, twisting her knee badly.  Several doctor appointments, weeks of therapy, heat, ice and a cortisone shot have made her knee much better. 

And none of us should ever forget our friend Jim Strealy who was flying his kite at Lake Yosemite last June and somehow ended up in the lake and drowned.
I will never forget Jim. I never met him, other than here online. What I will remember about him is that he died doing something that he loved to do. It sounds like a real unfortunate freak accident, but at least he didn't slip & fall in the bathtub. I use his story to remind myself to get out there & enjoy life because you never know...

My point was that no matter what music you play, you won't attract the 25 year old adrenaline junkies. But they are potential new kiters if they survive until they're 35-40 !

kiteking
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2013, 08:04 AM »

... he told the doctor that he flies kites the doctor remarked that that didn't seem like much exercise. 

Kiting just doesn't appeal to the younger set for the most part because it's not 'exciting' enough....

Well I cant think of a better exciting, exercise routine than flying a stack of hard pulling kites a couple of inches off the ground at 20+ mph

as for the music, coming from 20+ years in retail, I really only hear the music when its not playing in the background

My kids all flew when younger, and it was not their first choice activity in high school/college, but they are all getting back into it more and more, (they keep requesting kites from the collection)

I think kiting appeals to all ages, just in different degrees.... anyone check the smiles on the adults during the mass ascension?? I'll bet there was quite a few who had never flown with their parent/child

and maybe we have changed the way they view kiting

kiting is not just for kids... its for kids at heart
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 06:53 AM by kiteking » Logged

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

Jim Foster

« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2013, 09:06 AM »

[/quote]
kiting is not just for kids... its for kids at heart
[/quote]

Funny you should use that phrase.  When we formed our "fours" team with the Pittmans a year and a half ago, Cass named the team "Kids at Heart".

mikenchico

« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2013, 12:29 PM »

Ha ha ... That happened around my mid 30's to early 40's, before that the fun part of two wheeled sports was the crashes, after that they started hurting. I was flying sport kites in my mid 20's too though, no lack of excitement, there was a skill to master, and kites are a babe magnet   Cheesy

As far as music goes I can't say I've ever disliked anything I've heard at an event. Besides it takes a lot of watts to drown out the song in my head.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Jim Foster

« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2013, 02:03 PM »

Early years I was into fast cars (first car was a 1953 Hudson Hornet), dirt bikes and dune buggies.  Didn't pick up a kite until I was 61 except for the wood and paper ones (usually Hi-Flier for 10 cents or 25 cents for large or box) we flew when we were kids.

RobB

« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2013, 06:43 PM »

Early years I was into fast cars (first car was a 1953 Hudson Hornet), dirt bikes and dune buggies.  Didn't pick up a kite until I was 61 except for the wood and paper ones (usually Hi-Flier for 10 cents or 25 cents for large or box) we flew when we were kids.
That's what I'm talking about ! It took me until my mid-30s to realize that I wouldn't live much longer if I kept trying to do all the extreme sports my crazy brain thought would be fun. Drop a 20+ foot cliff snowboarding ? Drive a sub-2 minute lap at Bridgehamton ? Do a sub-1 hour lap at my local MTB loop ? I get more of a rush learning a new kite trick now, or getting my kids out there learning how to fly.

Jim, a Hudson Hornet ? WOW !

Mayfirst

« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2013, 06:47 PM »

Not every 20-something year old is an adrenaline junkie. Not even a majority.
RobB

« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2013, 06:52 PM »

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't count the button pushing wifi-junkies ! You're right, most of the 20-somethings I know from work can't be peeled away from their computer screens, iPhones & xboxes !   Shocked

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document